Burned new PSU Fractal ion+ 860W

WQblitz

Hi guys!

I have a tragic day today. When I tried to turn on my computer (spec below) today it blown the fuse right away then a slight black smoke appeared on the side of the case.

I turned everything off immediately and dismantled the housing. It turned out that the power supply does not work anymore and my SSD was hit by the way (when I connected it to my laptop it says that the disk is damaged - "The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error). But I also checked LED (from 500DX case) and Deepcool fan hub which were connected to the same SATA cable and they're fine. 

Now I have replaced the power supply with the old one (Chieftec 650W Bronze+) and when I try to start the computer on the motherboard the red CPU diode is still on, buzzer doesn't give any error beep even when I take out both RAM sticks.

Also my whole setup (monitor, pc and lamp) was connected to a surge protected power strip with LED indicator of protection status and it still working. 

Who should I contact about a faulty power supply? Seller or Fractal Design? Is there any chance of a refund if any other components (SSD, CPU etc.) have been damaged?

I am furious because I bought a special surge protector and a power supply with hundreds of certificates and protections to now worry if my CPU burned down with the SSD😤

PC: Intel i9-10850K, Gigabyte Vision G Z490, G.Skill 16GB 3600MHz, PSU Fractal Design Ion+ 860W Platinum, 1TB SATA3 Samsung SSD and old GTX960 4GB Gigabyte - both GPU and CPU wasn't overclocked in any way 

Thanks for any help guys, I'll provide more info if anyone need that.

5 minutes ago, WQblitz said:

Now I have replaced the power supply with the old one (Chieftec 650W Bronze+)

Did you use the cables from the Chieftec PSU with the Fractal Ion+ PSU?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Did you use the cables from the Chieftec PSU with the Fractal Ion+ PSU?

No, I used original cables from Chieftec (also it's semi modular so I can't switch CPU and ATX cables). Immediately after fuse blown I disconnected Fractal PSU and its cables from PC.

1 hour ago, WQblitz said:

No, I used original cables from Chieftec (also it's semi modular so I can't switch CPU and ATX cables).

When you had the Fractal PSU in, were you using Fractal cables or the Chieftec cables?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, GroundRod said:

What case are you using?

Be Quiet! Pure Base 500DX.I also checked all the cables to see if they were jammed or damaged by the case. They’re in perfect condition. 

55 minutes ago, Middcore said:

When you had the Fractal PSU in, were you using Fractal cables or the Chieftec cables?

Fractal PSU with all Fractal cables. I couldnt even switch cpu+atx cables from chieftec  because they’re not modular (model BPS-650C)

3 hours ago, WQblitz said:

I am furious because I bought a special surge protector and a power supply with hundreds of certificates and protections to now worry if my CPU burned down with the SSD😤

Surge protector protects the PSU from surges.  It doesn't prevent the PSU from failing if it's going to fail.

Got pictures of the damage?  Are there melted cables?  SATA side or PSU side?

20 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Surge protector protects the PSU from surges.  It doesn't prevent the PSU from failing if it's going to fail.

Got pictures of the damage?  Are there melted cables?  SATA side or PSU side?

I already wrapped PSU for a complain but there was no visible damage at all. All cables are fine but the PSU is completely dead. 

I've just sent my PC to a service to check if there is more damages then I'll try to apply for a refund of damaged parts from Fractal or seller 😞

So the PSU was dead even after you disconnected the SSD that failed?