Using Thermal Grizzly Carbonaut for laptops?

Upon researching Thermal Grizzly's products, while Conductonaut has the best thermal conductivity of them all, I know that it corrodes aluminium and copper heatsinks and Nickel-based heatsinks seem to be non-existent.

So I compared the Kryonaut paste and the Carbonaut. The latter has vastly superior thermal conductivity of about 62.5 W/mk

over the Kryonauts 12.5 W/mk so it seems like a no-brainer.

However, I'm using a laptop so the CPU and GPU dies are clearly smaller than desktop ones and the smallest Carbonaut pads TG offers are 32x32. (I presume that's 32 millimetres). How practical is it to cut a Carbonaut pad so it can fit a laptop CPU die?

Bad idea. Problem is that the pads don't flatten our or squish out making optimal conductivity. In a laptop it would be worse honestly, than better. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, Skiiwee29 said:

Bad idea. Problem is that the pads don't flatten our or squish out making optimal conductivity. In a laptop it would be worse honestly, than better. 

Really?

Just now, Shutset said:

Really?

Yea. While its marketed towards computers, its not really a good use in computers because it actually adds extra resistance due to its thickness compared to a paste. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Yea. While its marketed towards computers, its not really a good use in computers because it actually adds extra resistance due to its thickness compared to a paste. 

Even if the Carbonaut is about 0.2mm thick?

1 minute ago, Shutset said:

Even if the Carbonaut is about 0.2mm thick?

yes.

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

• 4 months later...
On 1/17/2021 at 10:38 AM, Shutset said:

Upon researching Thermal Grizzly's products, while Conductonaut has the best thermal conductivity of them all, I know that it corrodes aluminium and copper heatsinks and Nickel-based heatsinks seem to be non-existent.

So I compared the Kryonaut paste and the Carbonaut. The latter has vastly superior thermal conductivity of about 62.5 W/mk

over the Kryonauts 12.5 W/mk so it seems like a no-brainer.

However, I'm using a laptop so the CPU and GPU dies are clearly smaller than desktop ones and the smallest Carbonaut pads TG offers are 32x32. (I presume that's 32 millimetres). How practical is it to cut a Carbonaut pad so it can fit a laptop CPU die?

Hello OP, this is going to be an extremely awkward "necro" of this thread since the one who initially replied to you was a moderator, and IDK how they feel about those as I'm quite new to the LTT forums. It will however help anyone who searches "thermal grizzly carbonaut laptop" on Google in a future as this is amongst the very first results

The answer is YES you can use the carbon pads on the die. Thickness? Well you've probably already seen how flat the paste is left between the die and the heatsink. It SHOULD fit fine.

I Googled as above, read this very thread and feared the worst. However, I saw a video result titled "The Best Thermal Paste For Laptops, isn't Paste!!".

When servicing laptops both gaming and not, I myself have also encountered the same issue he mentions with uneven mounting of the heatsink, etc. even on laptops that have four mounting points. Sometimes you have to reseat the entire heatsink several times.

A gaming laptop I myself currently own has a similar issue but it is caused by one of the four mounting points itself, not the heatsink. As he mentions, unlike paste it works without you having to be factory precise with the heatsink.

Nothing can fix the headache of the 6 year old MSI laptop I have, but this has made it much more usable. I also had to take it apart twice when I decided this thing works good enough to put on the GPU as well. Both times same result. I've repasted this thing quite a few times and never have I not had to reseat it.

If you haven't already, give it a try. If you did already or moved on, hopefully this helps someone down the road.

• 4 months later...
On 5/24/2021 at 9:51 AM, Crossvxm said:

Hello OP, this is going to be an extremely awkward "necro" of this thread since the one who initially replied to you was a moderator, and IDK how they feel about those as I'm quite new to the LTT forums. It will however help anyone who searches "thermal grizzly carbonaut laptop" on Google in a future as this is amongst the very first results

The answer is YES you can use the carbon pads on the die. Thickness? Well you've probably already seen how flat the paste is left between the die and the heatsink. It SHOULD fit fine.

I Googled as above, read this very thread and feared the worst. However, I saw a video result titled "The Best Thermal Paste For Laptops, isn't Paste!!".

When servicing laptops both gaming and not, I myself have also encountered the same issue he mentions with uneven mounting of the heatsink, etc. even on laptops that have four mounting points. Sometimes you have to reseat the entire heatsink several times.

A gaming laptop I myself currently own has a similar issue but it is caused by one of the four mounting points itself, not the heatsink. As he mentions, unlike paste it works without you having to be factory precise with the heatsink.

Nothing can fix the headache of the 6 year old MSI laptop I have, but this has made it much more usable. I also had to take it apart twice when I decided this thing works good enough to put on the GPU as well. Both times same result. I've repasted this thing quite a few times and never have I not had to reseat it.

If you haven't already, give it a try. If you did already or moved on, hopefully this helps someone down the road.

I am going to buy crabonaut for MSI gl63 9sd. It have i7-9750H and gtx1660ti. I am planning to cut the pad to the length. With what pad size i should go for to cover both CPU and GPU after cutting it to size in 2 pieces?