Dual Ethernet ports on the MOBO and NDI ?

InsufficientSleep
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Yes, you can.

You should also be able to use a plain ethernet cable with connectors pre-applied, gigabit cards are supposed to automatically detect the order of the wires inside the cable and they'll just work.

The two network cards connected together won't receive IP addresses automatically, so you'll have to assign them IPs manually... preferrably from a private IP class different than the one your router gives automatically.

The private ip classes are :

• 10.0. 0.0/8 IP addresses: 10.0. 0.0 – 10.255. 255.255.
  • 172.16. 0.0/12 IP addresses: 172.16. 0.0 – 172.31. 255.255.
  • 192.168. 0.0/16 IP addresses: 192.168. 0.0 – 192.168. 255.255.

So if your router gives your pc 192.168.1.2  as IP, you could set 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 to the network cards connected together with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Also, keep in mind that your router also needs to have a 2.5g ethernet port to achieve 2.5g, otherwise you'll be limited to 1gbps.

Hi,  not sure where to post this so I'll try it here.

I'm trying to stream a bit with a dual PC setup over NDI instead of a capture card. I see that mobo's like the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero have two ethernet ports, 1 and 2.5Gbps.

My question is, Can I link my two computers together over the 1Gbps port to skip the switch / router and connect the 2.5Gbps port to my router as normal ?  

6 minutes ago, InsufficientSleep said:

I'm trying to stream a bit with a dual PC setup over NDI instead of a capture card. I see that mobo's like the Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero have two ethernet ports, 1 and 2.5Gbps.

My question is, Can I link my two computers together over the 1Gbps port to skip the switch / router and connect the 2.5Gbps port to my router as normal ?  

Link for what?

For file exchange yes.

But to really put them on the same network for apps and services to run you still need a router to assign them IPs.

Yes, you can.

You should also be able to use a plain ethernet cable with connectors pre-applied, gigabit cards are supposed to automatically detect the order of the wires inside the cable and they'll just work.

The two network cards connected together won't receive IP addresses automatically, so you'll have to assign them IPs manually... preferrably from a private IP class different than the one your router gives automatically.

The private ip classes are :

• 10.0. 0.0/8 IP addresses: 10.0. 0.0 – 10.255. 255.255.
  • 172.16. 0.0/12 IP addresses: 172.16. 0.0 – 172.31. 255.255.
  • 192.168. 0.0/16 IP addresses: 192.168. 0.0 – 192.168. 255.255.

So if your router gives your pc 192.168.1.2  as IP, you could set 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 to the network cards connected together with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Also, keep in mind that your router also needs to have a 2.5g ethernet port to achieve 2.5g, otherwise you'll be limited to 1gbps.

23 minutes ago, InsufficientSleep said:

And what do you hope of gaining with that setup ?

6 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

And what do you hope of gaining with that setup ?

to be able to stream with max fps/settings on my main computer and capture it with the second computer without sending the NDI traffic over my router.

5 minutes ago, InsufficientSleep said:

to be able to stream with max fps/settings on my main computer and capture it with the second computer without sending the NDI traffic over my router.

You have nothing to gain, The traffic is not going on the Router level, its NOT processed on the router, its local traffic and its on the Switch level, it stays on your local lan.