What is a 4x4 SSD?

Go to solution Solved by soundlogic,

That's just the bandwidth of the SSD interface, PCIe 4x4. The actual SSD may or may not be fast enough to even take advantage of it - likely not. I was excited that my Alienware shipped with an NVMe SSD back in 2016, only to realize it was a shitty Toshiba which had random speeds equivalent to a SATA drive

So I'm looking at a laptop configuration on HP's website, and I noticed this option under the CPU: 4x4 SSD. It's the same exact CPU and selecting it would be no extra charge, so I tried googling what it means but that didn't turn up any useful information. I assume all it lets you do is have the ability to use 4x4 SSDs based on the 2nd picture:

image.png.c33834a1ffdc10a71789ba5cec29d89a.png

Under storage, I picked a 1TB NVMe M.2 SSD, but for $50 more I can have the same SSD, but it would be a "4x4 SSD".

image.png.3e9375e52cf5489acb90f8db51257e61.png

So my question is what exactly does being a 4x4 SSD mean, and does it have any advantages over a regular one that justify a $50 price jump?

That's the new uber-ultra-fast PCIe Gen 4x4 compatibility which just means it's so fast you probably will not notice it

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

That's just the bandwidth of the SSD interface, PCIe 4x4. The actual SSD may or may not be fast enough to even take advantage of it - likely not. I was excited that my Alienware shipped with an NVMe SSD back in 2016, only to realize it was a shitty Toshiba which had random speeds equivalent to a SATA drive