Gigabyte 3090 Waterforce fans

B.Rms

I was lucky enough to get one of those. The card is a monster in overclocking, gaming and video applications. The fans however are not great.

I found out (too late) that GB's GPU BIOS has a minimum of 30% fan speed even when idle, which makes it pretty loud -and the fans aren't the quietest anyway.

So I was wondering if replacing the radiator fans with a couple of Noctuas would void the warranty?

The original fans are screwed on the radiator and they're simply plugged to a 4-pin connector which goes into the card. So it's not really hard to just unplug it and replace them. But I wonder how difficult GB would be about this should the GPU die for any random reason?

Threadripper 3970x | ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming | Corsair HX1200i | 64 GB DDR4 Ripjaws-V 3600Mhz CL18-22-22-42 | Gigabyte RTX 3090 Xtreme Waterforce | Obsidian Series 750D Airflow | 250GB WD Blue SSD SN500 NVMe M.2 | 2x Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB Aorus 8 TB NVMe PCIe SSD | Nocuta NH-U14S TR4-SP3 | 3x Corsair ML120 Pro RGB | 1x Corsair ML140 Pro RGB | 1x Noctua NF-A14 | 1x Corsair AF140L |

Unless there is a led lighting cable that you would have to cut this would not void the warranty.

You would just remove the shroud and remove the fans. You co not even have to remove the cooler.

Now one thing to consider is the power draw Noctua fans might draw more power than the original BPU fans so might be a good idea to power them separately.

As drawing too much power might blow a fues on the GPU and that might void the warranty. Also there is the added benefit of getting more power for the OC

You would just have to keep the parts and reassemble the card if you ever have to send it in for warranty.

They would have no way of knowing that you changed anything and even if you did that is not warranty voiding.

1 hour ago, Exidor said:

Unless there is a led lighting cable that you would have to cut this would not void the warranty.

You would just remove the shroud and remove the fans. You co not even have to remove the cooler.

Now one thing to consider is the power draw Noctua fans might draw more power than the original BPU fans so might be a good idea to power them separately.

As drawing too much power might blow a fues on the GPU and that might void the warranty. Also there is the added benefit of getting more power for the OC

You would just have to keep the parts and reassemble the card if you ever have to send it in for warranty.

They would have no way of knowing that you changed anything and even if you did that is not warranty voiding.

This is a water-cooled card, so the fans are in a separate radiator, not on the card itself. I wouldn't have to touch the card at all, just unscrew the fans from the radiator and unplug the cables.

Both power and RGB cables are just plugged, it's not necessary to cut anything.

Threadripper 3970x | ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming | Corsair HX1200i | 64 GB DDR4 Ripjaws-V 3600Mhz CL18-22-22-42 | Gigabyte RTX 3090 Xtreme Waterforce | Obsidian Series 750D Airflow | 250GB WD Blue SSD SN500 NVMe M.2 | 2x Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB Aorus 8 TB NVMe PCIe SSD | Nocuta NH-U14S TR4-SP3 | 3x Corsair ML120 Pro RGB | 1x Corsair ML140 Pro RGB | 1x Noctua NF-A14 | 1x Corsair AF140L |

Oh right sorry.

Well then you should have no problem at all.

Changing the fans will be no problem. Just do not forget to reattach the old ones if you have to RMA.

Still check the A on the fans Noctua has some crazy 3000RPM fans that can pull a lot of power. But if the fans are more or less the same max RPM then you should be fine just plugging them into the same socket.

On 1/17/2021 at 1:41 PM, Exidor said:

Oh right sorry.

Well then you should have no problem at all.

Changing the fans will be no problem. Just do not forget to reattach the old ones if you have to RMA.

Still check the A on the fans Noctua has some crazy 3000RPM fans that can pull a lot of power. But if the fans are more or less the same max RPM then you should be fine just plugging them into the same socket.

Thanks, that's good advice.

But I noticed that the connectors on the Gigabyte fans are not standard. They're 4 pins, but different shape. There's no way a Noctua fan's connector is gonna work with this. Cheap shot from Gigabyte. If a fan dies I can't replace it myself. WTF...

Guess I'm stuck with these fans for a while now unless I'm willing to dig into the card itself to replace the wires.

Hmmmm can you show picture of the fan header?

Are they just very small headers?

Maybe they use GPU standard headers?1611049863599.thumb.JPEG.7cd7013f67770ffb8179f2cc2f4829d6.JPEG

Then there are cables for that.

• 3 weeks later...

I've also bought this card (RTX 3090 Xtreme Waterforce) and one of the fan is making an annoying high pitch sound. I'm looking for weeks about a solution since those fans have special connectors and Gigabyte won't sell a replacement to me (I've asked them).

Here is a picture of the connectors:

image.thumb.png.7ccb35e227d6ee272d0ba404d8f6422b.png

Does this connectors have a name I can look out for ? And what about the RGB cable ?

• 2 months later...

Did either of you ever solve this? I'm looking for the fan adapter as well,

• 4 weeks later...

anyone tried these ?

https://www.amazon.de/Gelid-Solutions-CA-PWM-02-VGA-Adapter/dp/B005ZKZEQA?th=1

https://www.amazon.de/AAB-Adapter-L%C3%BCfter-Splitter-Stecker/dp/B075LKL5DH/ref=pd_lpo_147_t_2/259-5622989-1644526?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B075LKL5DH&pd_rd_r=f9d3bc42-9f72-4270-8a18-1fd30e6820c0&pd_rd_w=3soGb&pd_rd_wg=yV1a1&pf_rd_p=149f160f-468b-48f5-aa84-5abbe57cf06d&pf_rd_r=4Y5AGEC9XCWESTQ5ZHDC&psc=1&refRID=4Y5AGEC9XCWESTQ5ZHDC

they look like they could fit

• 2 weeks later...

i am just changing the fans now to arctic p12 pwm coolers

since i have the nzxt fan controller which works very good and has space for 12 fans

so all my fans except my extra gpu fans are powered by this thing

ill add pictures when i am done

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 10:01 AM, Kingbasa said:

i am just changing the fans now to arctic p12 pwm coolers

since i have the nzxt fan controller which works very good and has space for 12 fans

so all my fans except my extra gpu fans are powered by this thing

ill add pictures when i am done

Oh, that's an idea I didn't think about! But is there a way to link the fan speed to the GPU usage? 

since i promissed to follow with pictures

here are they...

i plugged them into my nzxt hub which is powered with the cam software they use (jeah i know "it's bad") which i like.

you can set all 3 channels to the respective "what to listen for"
and set the settings

hope it helps everyone
the original fans are in a box of the arctoc p12
and i am very happy with the noise level and the performance

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-07 at 09.48.00 (4).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-07 at 09.48.00 (3).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-07 at 09.48.00 (2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-07 at 09.48.00 (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-07 at 09.48.00.jpeg

settings.png

Hey guys, I did find a solution how to change those fans for some better now, not using RGB though. If anyone still interested, here are some pictures what I did to swap the fans. All you need, just a 4 pin connectors which you will have to bend a bit to fit. Hope it will still be useful for someone as I didn't find anything like this anywhere.

20210614_133036.jpg

20210614_133638.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

@Kingbasa Looks great! I think I will do something like you, but using the Corsair commander pro and ICUE instead (I'm a Corsair fan boi 😄 )

• 2 months later...

So I have now installed the Corsair Commander Pro, and am controlling the Corsair fans via ICUE - and it works great! But what happens with the fan control when instead of booting into Windows (which has ICUE installed), I boot into Ubuntu? Does anybody know?