I am a very stupid man.

Xmzxxnn

So I spent about an hour trying to figure out why my ethernet connector is not locking/snapping into place. After a bit of research I found out that my I/o shield's grounding pin is litterally sticking into the port and 2 other unrelated ports. Thank GOD my system hasn't shorted due to that but how tf do I put the pin back into place. I have basically 0 PC building experience and a friend build my PC for me a while back. I really don't blame him or anything like that since I would have probably fucked that up too but how can I put them back in place without removing everything. I don't just want bend them off either since I have read they are very important. Any ideas? Ive attached a photo of my situation to this post

16108637356397783014690245354676.jpg

You can just bend that little tab all the way out if you want the easy way.  

The slightly harder way is to pull out on that plate a bit and bend the tab towards the inside, out of the way

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Oh and turn off your computer first and unplug it

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

2 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

You can just bend that little tab all the way out if you want the easy way.  

The slightly harder way is to pull out on that plate a bit and bend the tab towards the inside, out of the way

Is it normally supposed to be on the inside like that? Don't know to much about computers and I really don't wanna short an part of it out since it's a grounding pin

It's normally supposed to be folded about 90 degrees clockwise.  It's something that happens pretty regularly when a main board is installed.  

If you look, the one on the usb port also needs to be moved.

Like I said, the easy way is to just bend it all the way counter clockwise and maybe snap it off.  It won't hurt it 

Ive done this a few times. I think its ok to bend it out of the way. Use a flat screw driver and just push it out.

39 minutes ago, wrld said:

Read the manual instruction. Manual instruction helps. Good Luck.

man made an account  to tell this dude to read a manual

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

1 hour ago, Xmzxxnn said:

So I spent about an hour trying to figure out why my ethernet connector is not locking/snapping into place. After a bit of research I found out that my I/o shield's grounding pin is litterally sticking into the port and 2 other unrelated ports. Thank GOD my system hasn't shorted due to that but how tf do I put the pin back into place. I have basically 0 PC building experience and a friend build my PC for me a while back. I really don't blame him or anything like that since I would have probably fucked that up too but how can I put them back in place without removing everything. I don't just want bend them off either since I have read they are very important. Any ideas? Ive attached a photo of my situation to this post

16108637356397783014690245354676.jpg

Aaaaaugh...I feel for you.  I've done that before when I wasn't paying attention.

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, wrld said:

Read the manual instruction. Manual instruction helps. Good Luck.

Please dont, this type of comment is very unnecessary and not generally welcomed here.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER