Any Windows laptops that doesn't suffer from performance penalty when on unplugged?

Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
Just now, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

Yeah I do that right now but then the battery runs out in about 2 hours. If I want to extend that battery, the processor dials down to about 1ghz which is shit tbh.

You can have full performance, or you can have good battery life, pick one.

I have never seen, nor worked with, a Windows-based laptop that under full power, gets more than 4 hours battery life, and most get only 2. Any marketing claiming otherwise is flat out lying.

TL;DR

Looking for a windows laptop that won't suffer from performance penalties on battery. I work mostly in web browsers but keep 6-7 windows open with 7-8 tabs open in each window.

I'm using an HP laptop right now but whenever I unplug it, I see a drop in performance. And it is huge. All the programs slow down. Most of my work is done in web browsers but I do keep a lot of browsers open. Like 6-7 browser windows with 3-4 or 7-8 tabs open in each. I've always noticed that there is a difference in performance when my laptop is plugged in and when it isn't.

Last week I borrowed one of my friend's macbook pro and noticed that I get consistent performance whether it is plugged in or not. I didn't notice any performance hits when I used it on battery. This was the first time I actually took the laptop to a coffee shop to work.

Only problem is, I use Mailbird to manage all my emails. And I absolutely love that software. And they don't have a mac version of it. Besides that, everything I do is done in a web browser. So it doesn't matter which laptop I use. Plus, I don't want to spend a ton of money on a macbook. But I will if there's nothing else on the market that will give me what I'm looking for.

Plus, with the new M1 macbooks you can get 20 hours of battery life. That alone is a good reason for me to buy a macbook.

But I'd rather stick with windows because I'm familiar with the OS and at this point I don't want to go through a learning curve of any kind. I just want to get my work done wherever I am without having to deal with the performance penalty whenever I unplug my laptop.

Let me know if there are any windows laptops that don't suffer a performance penalty when unplugged.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

Looking for a windows laptop that won't suffer from performance penalties on battery

All of them, you set the performance under battery life to "maximum power"

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

Yeah I do that right now but then the battery runs out in about 2 hours. If I want to extend that battery, the processor dials down to about 1ghz which is shit tbh.

Just now, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

I have never seen, nor worked with, a Windows-based laptop that under full power, gets more than 4 hours battery life, and most get only 2. Any marketing claiming otherwise is flat out lying.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

I agree. I've never heard anyone say that they've gotten consistent performance on a windows laptop unplugged.

I guess it is time to switch to a macbook then.

Thanks for the help

36 minutes ago, Ragnar Lothbrok said:

I guess it is time to switch to a macbook then.

Performance = Energy.

There's no difference in macbook (intel).

The M1 chip is a different CPU architecture, which is optimized for low power comsuption.

If you do much mobile work, the M1 will serve you better than Intel chip.

Go mac if you are ready to be tied in to that ecosystem.

Say goodbye to user upgradable, cheap battery replacement and multiple usb & display ports.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

57 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

That doesn’t override the firmware though. AFAIK just about every Windows notebook will scale back power limits on battery resulting in what OP is talking about. Apple is notable in that they don’t do this, it’s usually one of the selling points when people discuss differences.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20