PCIe 4.0 GPU/mobo with a PCIe 3.0 riser cable?

Go to solution Solved by matt0725,

It should work. The changes made between generations are just how communication happens, it isn't physically any different on the slot, so a riser shouldn't change that either

Just wondering if my B550 (PCIe 4.0) and RTX 3060 Ti (PCIe 4.0) will work with a PCIe 3.0 riser cable? Don't worry about the speed between each. Thanks for any help!

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

It should work. The changes made between generations are just how communication happens, it isn't physically any different on the slot, so a riser shouldn't change that either

2 minutes ago, matt0725 said:

Thank you!

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

Watch that video

It doesn't mean that it won't work, but you might have to tweak some settings.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

1 hour ago, Dr0y said:

Watch that video

It doesn't mean that it won't work, but you might have to tweak some settings.

So I have an ASUS B550-A (B550-F, but white) and a RTX 3060 Ti FE. I am planning on using the Lian Li o11-D MIMI riser cable/bracket. The chat they had looks like it will work. I can also roll back the manual PCIe speeds to 3.0 from 4.0. So everything SHOULD be fine, right?

1 minute ago, MarvintheParrot said:

So I have an ASUS B550-A (B550-F, but white) and a RTX 3060 Ti FE. I am planning on using the Lian Li o11-D MIMI riser cable/bracket. The chat they had looks like it will work. I can also roll back the manual PCIe speeds to 3.0 from 4.0. So everything SHOULD be fine, right?

I guess it's a you have to try it to see if it works kind of thing ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

9 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

I guess it's a you have to try it to see if it works kind of thing ...

Still holding out hope, it's $20 more for the 4.0 version, but I'd rather put that money towards something else. From all the testing they've done, It looks like there were no compatibility problems with my specific MoBo and riser cable. Plus it looks like there is an easy work around, so I think that it should be fine.