my house almost burns down lol

ELIAS1731
Go to solution Solved by jaslion,
20 minutes ago, Clever AI said:

Thanks for sharing your experience, but can you tell me which be quiet PSU I should not buy exactly?

Psu tier list exists it's on there in the do not get category.

First of all sorry if my english is not perfect, i'm from Germany. ^^

I just wanted to share my short story here...

All happened 20 minutes ago.. I was changing some settings on my little homeserver (NAS, VPN, Pihole, ...), but then i smelled something strange like burning plastic or something. After 15 seconds i got a bsod... (yeah, it's a windows based server). I went to the server and saw that the sata power cable to my main hdd went on fire. I unplugged everything and simply cut off the last 2 sata ports on that "string"(?is it called so? xD). I wanted the server to run again very soon, because my whole internet is down, if pihole is not running and i simply wanted to get in my bed and watch netflix. So i booted up the server again and the POST failed -> no boot device.

I thought the hdd got damaged.. so i changed the sata power cable again, this time on another string(?) But then my breaker pops and almost everything in my house turned off (oops.. sorry mom) After a few tests, i can say the PSU is completely dead and i definitely need to get a new, better one and of course a smoke detector.

I never thought this can happen. I thought the breaker will pop before anything gets on fire. I'm glad that i was still awake and noticed it. ( It's 1:15 am right now here)

But I think I learned something too:

Never use a cheap be quiet! system power (old series) psu for a 24/7 server

Yea, it's a really cheap build. The server got an old core i3, 8gb ram, and a cheap mini itx board from asus. But it was free and the server runs very well, so I don't care xD.

I hope this short post was readable, i'm tired af...

Sorry if that englisch was total bullshit, but i thought it's a good idea to start in this forum with a little story. good night. :>

Thanks for sharing your experience, but can you tell me which be quiet PSU I should not buy exactly?

Just now, Clever AI said:

I think you can't buy it anymore but the model is: SB8-300W. I don't know where i got it from, maybe a gift from someone. 

Just now, ELIAS1731 said:

I think you can't buy it anymore but the model is: SB8-300W. I don't know where i got it from, maybe a gift from someone. 

Danke dennoch für die Info!

2 minutes ago, Clever AI said:

Danke dennoch für die Info!

Kein Problem 🙂

yeah, it's not always that things POP before they should. Or they do pop, but is welded together by very strong current?

There was nothing to do with the cables either? (like they looked decent enough?)

But yes, don't cheap out on PSU's breakers etc.

20 minutes ago, Clever AI said:

Psu tier list exists it's on there in the do not get category.

Do not know if this was the case here, but, if you are going to use any kind of internal power cable extension, have a magnet handy nearby. If the cable part of the extension is attracted to the magnet when you touch them together, throw that cable the F away

On 1/17/2021 at 8:25 AM, ELIAS1731 said:

never thought this can happen. I thought the breaker will pop before anything gets on fire. I'm glad that i was still awake and noticed it. ( It's 1:15 am right now here)

The breaker is protecting the house wiring not end devices.

You can get faults that supply a lot of current for the device, but the draw from the mains is still typical and below the trip point.