Best vintage thermal paste you know who will last decades.

ErnestJ
Go to solution Solved by Bitter,

Likely a 3M product long since superceded and no longer available.

Hello.

Recently after rediscovering my old motherboard width amk k6-3 CPU i found what after over decade the paste betwean cpu and heatsink still sticky and good to go. Its silvery in collor.

Is it have gallium in it ?

Wonder why there no such good thermal compounds who not dry out in over decade. Can you suggest same qualities maby silvery look thermal grease who not have gallium and will last at least 15 years keeping same properties and heat dicipation as the one on my old amd k6 cpu.

Ernest

Arctic guarantees their MX-4 paste for 8 years. You could be looking at Arctic Silver 3 or 5 there, it's silvery, but it tens to dry up a bit over time though doesn't seem to lose it's effectiveness. Arctic and Arctic silver are NOT the same company or related products, confusing.

23 minutes ago, ErnestJ said:

Hello.

Recently after rediscovering my old motherboard width amk k6-3 CPU i found what after over decade the paste betwean cpu and heatsink still sticky and good to go. Its silvery in collor.

Wonder why there no such good thermal compounds who not dry out in over decade. Can you suggest same qualities maby silvery look thermal grease who not have gallium and will last at least 15 years keeping same properties and heat dicipation as the one on my old amd k6 cpu.

Ernest

Its probably that newer thermal pastes use eco friendly ingredients. This is the same with solder, paints etc. The quality is worse than in the past that we didn't use eco friendly materials. 

Just stick a Grizzly thermal pad, that will last decades and is reusable. Or Noctua NT-H1/H2 but it's recommended for max of 5 years. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

32 minutes ago, ErnestJ said:

No, gallium reacts very badly with aluminum components.

More than likely it has silver or ceramic in it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Intel thermal concrete 

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

Actually yeah those carbon thermal pads have essentially and indefinite life span, not the most amazing thermal conductivity but certainly good enough considering zero maintenance.

Its strange but there no thermal pads for lga3647. Would be best solution but none for sale to fit that cpu. My system uses copper to copper contact so gallium contained thermal solutions not good for copper.

Just wondered what they used on vintage cpu, because it looks shiny silvery and never eated or coroded heatsink who still shiny after many years.

I don't see why you can't use two carbon pads cut and placed right next to each other?

Arctic Ceramique 1 (not 2) is what you want if you want it to last next to forever.

People have said Thermalright TFX has lasted on laptops where Kryonaut pumped out, but TFX is still not widely used enough, and too expensive, to make a judgement on that.

For me I would think AS5 would be the best vintage paste, but a decade isn’t really vintage 🤭

But what you are describing doesn’t sound like AS5 to me..

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

38 minutes ago, freeagent said:

For me I would think AS5 would be the best vintage paste, but a decade isn’t really vintage 🤭

But what you are describing doesn’t sound like AS5 to me..

I was thinking AS3 possibly, I had some on a P4 3.4E for like 5 or 8 years in use and then sitting in storage for another 5-8 years. It was hard but not powder and still had some...goo-ness to it. Obviously not like new but it was a thin silvery sheet though I had some voids but likely that's due to my excessively sparse application due to fear of it being conductive, I still had good temps as far as I can remember.

I wanted to say maybe it was AS3 but I think I have only seen that stuff once.. and that was before I became interested in computers.. so maybe around the 2000 mark? I felt my eyes rolling in their sockets during my trip in the way back machine. I think that’s the stuff my buddy used on his celery 333 @ 666 on a nice Abit. I could be mistaken though..

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

It was pretty much AS3 or you used the gray goop packets of sand mixed with silicone oil lol. I think for a long time all thermal compounds were some iteration of silicone oil and a fine powdered material. Now they're a bit more complex and there's a lot more choices and substantially less expensive too!

Probably as3 or silver based thermal grease. Thank you all for answers. Probably need to ask AMD what they used back then. Would be interesting to get tube of that 10-20 year old thermal grease.

Likely a 3M product long since superceded and no longer available.