Ryzen 5 5600X Voltage Behaviour

Hi there!

I recently built an entire new system but the GPU. I purchased a Ryzen 5 5600X and I am a bit concerned about its voltage behaviour. On stock settings while gaming (Warzome most of the time), my voltage stays at a constant 1.38V at 4.25GHz (it sometimes peaks at 1.42 or 1.45). I have no experience on AMD CPUs but I know anything above 1.35V is not considered to be "safe" (or it used to be).

I have manullay undervolted and overclocked the CPU and I get 4.5GHz using 1.175V. When undervolted and overclocked it stays at around 60°C with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 and it gets up to 70°C on stock settings. The only problem is that mentioned voltage is that it stays at 1.175 all the time, even idleling.

Should I be worried about the processor's life in the long run if I keep it on stock settings with high voltages? Or should I keep it undervolted even if the voltage is high all the time? Will that degrade the silicone quickly?

Thank you,

Albert.

Specs:

Ryzen 5 5600X

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black RGB

HyperX Fury 16GB 3200MHz

Gigabyte RX 580 8GB

WD NMVe SSD

Phanteks P400A Digital

Well, my Ryzen 5 3600 is running at 4.3 GHz at 1.45 volts.

Been running fine at 45C idle since August 2020.
The only thing that's gone wrong is when I change hardware or try and "fix" something.
No problems with the system, a problem with me messing with the system.

elephants

Welcome to the forums!!!

16 minutes ago, zpectrals said:

I have manullay undervolted and overclocked the CPU and I get 4.5GHz using 1.175V.

That seems pretty good. For some reason, stock voltages are high on Ryzen and just creates more heat by the processor due to that high of a voltage. I believe they say the max you should do for longevity of the processor for any Ryzen is 1.3625V. I don't think it will degrade the silicon that quickly at 1.175V, which is more under general use depending on load not idling. 

If you have your Windows Power Plan set to [High Performance], try going into the [Change advanced power settings] tab, go to [Processor Power Management], set the [Minimum processor state] to 5% and keep the [Maximum processor state] at 100%, with [System cooling policy] set to Active. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

11 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

That seems pretty good. For some reason, stock voltages are high on Ryzen and just creates more heat by the processor due to that high of a voltage. I believe they say the max you should do for longevity of the processor for any Ryzen is 1.3625V. I don't think it will degrade the silicon that quickly at 1.175V, which is more under general use depending on load not idling. 

If you have your Windows Power Plan set to [High Performance], try going into the [Change advanced power settings] tab, go to [Processor Power Management], set the [Minimum processor state] to 5% and keep the [Maximum processor state] at 100%, with [System cooling policy] set to Active. 

Thank you very much for your help SpiderMan 🙂

I will keep it overclocked as it runs faster and cooler at the same time and it's not a threat to the CPU's life in the long run. I always use Windows Balanced planned (as there is no Ryzen plan for the 5000 series) and I will try your advice.

Thanks again,

Albert.

11 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Well, my Ryzen 5 3600 is running at 4.3 GHz at 1.45 volts.

Been running fine at 45C idle since August 2020.
The only thing that's gone wrong is when I change hardware or try and "fix" something.
No problems with the system, a problem with me messing with the system.

Hi Ragnarok!

Thank you for your reply 🙂 Great to hear the CPU runs fine and not to hot with that high of a voltage. I will keep the overclock as it runs faster ans cooler. Everytime I use my PC is for gaming and I don't leave it idleling for hours.

Thanks again,

Albert.

• 2 months later...

What about considering the use of PBO2 in order to get the best out of your 5600x. I undervolted mine and uses about 0.98V at idle and turbo boosts to 4.6 using 1.15V max. When it first turbos it uses 1.145 but after staying constantly at 4.6 it goes upto 1.15V after a few minutes. Then stays stable at 4.6 and 1.15V during the 30 minute stress test using cinebench R20.