Engineering Student in need of computer upgrade

Budget (including currency): <$6,000 CAD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: NX 12 (modeling and simulation), industry simulators, CAD software, mild gaming (kind of a side point, not as important), a few other more intensive softwares

Other details:   Currently own a Dell Inspiron 15 7559, GTX 960M , 16gb ram, 1Tb HDD, and 500 GB SSD. It works but does not run the software overly well. I don't know whether I would like a workstation type laptop or a desktop. Portability should be key, but willing to take advice. I don't know enough to make a educated decision

51 minutes ago, Mildly_Nuclear said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: NX 12 (modeling and simulation), industry simulators, CAD software, mild gaming (kind of a side point, not as important), a few other more intensive softwares

Other details:   Currently own a Dell Inspiron 15 7559, GTX 960M , 16gb ram, 1Tb HDD, and 500 GB SSD. It works but does not run the software overly well. I don't know whether I would like a workstation type laptop or a desktop. Portability should be key, but willing to take advice. I don't know enough to make a educated decision

Well so what I would suggest is if you don't do the big simulations on the go you probably can't cause of the laptop battery draining so fast 

Have a workstation build at home and if you ever need to present data transfer it to the laptop and take it 

This is from Puget systems, "Ryzen workstation" customization. 

12 fast cores should give you plenty of power for renders but depending on if you are doing more simulation or more model rendering might be better to go threadripper. 

3090 because you have the budget for it and tensor cores are being more used for simulations than raw CPU in the latest CAD updates. If you go threadripper, swap out a 3070 or Quatro 5000 to keep some graphics power. 

SSD wise a pair of 970 PROs let you use your current SSD to run 500GB SSD for the OS and programs and a 2TB Raid0 for models and scratch disk. SSD throughput is huge for model loading and exports actually using the CPU speed. Pair of 4TB in Raid1 to store finished models and have backup storage, last thing you want is to lose a model you need to go back to later. 

210287814_Puget5900.thumb.JPG.3b5455c0b8b2adf94c04c4cdbb6a076f.JPG

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($229.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PNY Quadro RTX 5000 16 GB Video Card  ($1949.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li TU150 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($96.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($285.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3130.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-16 18:06 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 1/16/2021 at 4:04 PM, MonkeyWrench said:

Well so what I would suggest is if you don't do the big simulations on the go you probably can't cause of the laptop battery draining so fast 

Have a workstation build at home and if you ever need to present data transfer it to the laptop and take it 

Thank you for the advice, I will consider that. I just am a little iffy on the whole desktop side of things,due to not being portable

On 1/16/2021 at 4:06 PM, GhostRoadieBL said:

This is from Puget systems, "Ryzen workstation" customization. 

12 fast cores should give you plenty of power for renders but depending on if you are doing more simulation or more model rendering might be better to go threadripper. 

3090 because you have the budget for it and tensor cores are being more used for simulations than raw CPU in the latest CAD updates. If you go threadripper, swap out a 3070 or Quatro 5000 to keep some graphics power. 

SSD wise a pair of 970 PROs let you use your current SSD to run 500GB SSD for the OS and programs and a 2TB Raid0 for models and scratch disk. SSD throughput is huge for model loading and exports actually using the CPU speed. Pair of 4TB in Raid1 to store finished models and have backup storage, last thing you want is to lose a model you need to go back to later. 

210287814_Puget5900.thumb.JPG.3b5455c0b8b2adf94c04c4cdbb6a076f.JPG

Thank you very much, i have noted it down. As a university student, I need to manage money, the $5800 price tag is kinda hard for me to warrant. Where is most of the money tied up in?

On 1/16/2021 at 6:06 PM, brob said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($229.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Silicon Power A80 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($229.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PNY Quadro RTX 5000 16 GB Video Card  ($1949.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li TU150 Mini ITX Desktop Case  ($96.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($285.00 @ Amazon) 
Total: $3130.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-16 18:06 EST-0500

Thank you for the desktop suggestions, any ideas for a laptop?

1 hour ago, Mildly_Nuclear said:

Thank you very much, i have noted it down. As a university student, I need to manage money, the $5800 price tag is kinda hard for me to warrant. Where is most of the money tied up in?

About 1500$ of rtx3090 is the biggest spend

You can easily step down to the 3080 and only lose about 15% of the speed for half the price. 

5900x to 5800x would also be a minor change in performance for a couple hundred dollars back. 

Drop one of the 970 pro ssds for around 400$ back as well 

Should be able to get it down to around 4000$ with those changes and not lose much performance at all 

http://puget.systems/go/154538

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

On 1/17/2021 at 1:56 AM, Mildly_Nuclear said:

You can use this config .if you want some portability you can use your laptop. Although Laptops cannot do high intensive works .