80c idle after 3 cooler resiting

FoxxyTheOnlyOne
Go to solution Solved by FoxxyTheOnlyOne,
3 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

- when you press down(towards CPU) on the pump/block combo do the temps go down?

- How do you know the pump is still working (ie the bios/OS is reading pump speed or is it just making noise while running)? This could indicate an empty loop or airlocked pump if the pump is running and no cooling is happening. Can test this by running the pump/fans with the block off the CPU, heat up the plate with your hand (rub your hands together and touch the plate) then turn on the pump/fans and feel for the temperature change on the block.

I assume the fans are ramping up and you've checked the pump and fan curves in the BIOS to make sure the pump is at 100% and not 10% silent or something at 100C. 

Okay so I was so sure that I did it well that I left it run a bit longer, and  lo and behold the paste actually went bad (my gpu was idleing at 30c after 10 min of idleing but after 30 it started going up and idled at 65c so yeah sorry about the stupid post, but still some weird thermal paste)

how do I delete that mess now? the issue is resolved I ordered some fresh artic 5

i changed the thermal paste on my i7 6700K and on my gpu and after redoing the cpu 3 times I still get 75-80 degrees idleing in windows and a 100c when on a browser.

My cooler is an enermax aio with both pump and fan still working.

I have no clue what is going on

(forgot to say that the gpu temps are fine so it isnt the thermal paste)

- when you press down(towards CPU) on the pump/block combo do the temps go down?

- How do you know the pump is still working (ie the bios/OS is reading pump speed or is it just making noise while running)? This could indicate an empty loop or airlocked pump if the pump is running and no cooling is happening. Can test this by running the pump/fans with the block off the CPU, heat up the plate with your hand (rub your hands together and touch the plate) then turn on the pump/fans and feel for the temperature change on the block.

I assume the fans are ramping up and you've checked the pump and fan curves in the BIOS to make sure the pump is at 100% and not 10% silent or something at 100C. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

3 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

Okay so I was so sure that I did it well that I left it run a bit longer, and  lo and behold the paste actually went bad (my gpu was idleing at 30c after 10 min of idleing but after 30 it started going up and idled at 65c so yeah sorry about the stupid post, but still some weird thermal paste)

how do I delete that mess now? the issue is resolved I ordered some fresh artic 5

1 minute ago, FoxxyTheOnlyOne said:

might want to mail the old paste to LTT for a video on what happens when paste goes bad. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

12 minutes ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

might want to mail the old paste to LTT for a video on what happens when paste goes bad. 

I was aware of this but its been a while and I just assumed paste was thicker than I remembered... been a while heh? anyway thanks for your help you got me thinking right😉