You Can't Buy This CPU... Yet - AMD Threadripper Pro

jakkuh_t

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Linus Drop Tips: When showing your fans the inside of your case, make sure to superglue it to the table so it doesn't fall!

EDIT:
Why does the YouTube title not have "AMD Threadripper Pro" in it?

Edited by ragnarok0273
title discrepancy

elephants

when you make a video too late so half the info is wrong in it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

14 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

EDIT:

because You can't buy THIS CPU... Yet

Just now, itswillum said:

because You can't buy THIS CPU... Yet

The YouTube title doesn't tell you what CPU.

elephants

30 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Part of the clickbait title/thumbnail -- As a company it's a no-brainer since it gets like 25% more views, and the actual video content itself is still roughly the same.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

That's a nice coincidence. Does somebody can test with an AMD Threadripper my universe simulation?

Here is the post I recently did about this topic.

I feel like Linus and the team missed what these CPUs are for. They aren't to be compared to Threadripper, but EPYC - this is literally a rebranded EPYC CPU. Compared to Threadripper it has twice the memory bandwidth, higher maximum memory capacity and more PCI Express lanes.

So why not just buy an EPYC powered workstation? Because they most often come in rack servers. Threadripper Pro is for the people who want the full power of EPYC in a workstation without the hazzle of building it and quirks of server motherboards.

Why limit Threadripper Pro to OEMs only? Threadripper Pro is clocked higher than corresponding EPYC models or significantly cheaper, so they could potentially take away some EPYC sales. Making Threadripper Pro OEM only effectively combats that.

Then why make Threadripper Pro available for retail now then? Probably because Zen 3 EPYC is right around the corner and that will create a new segment of CPUs that does not overlap with Threadripper Pro. Zen 3 based EPYCs will be for the server market and Threadripper Pro will remain for the top-of-the-line workstation market for people who don't want to build a Zen 3 EPYC workstation themselves.

4 hours ago, Woodgnome said:

They aren't to be compared to Threadripper, but EPYC - this is literally a rebranded EPYC CPU. Compared to Threadripper it has twice the memory bandwidth, higher maximum memory capacity and more PCI Express lanes.

If it was compared to epyc...

They would have the same memory bandwidth, lower maximum ram capacity, and the same pcie lanes...

That's why it's compared to tr4... 

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

4 hours ago, Woodgnome said:

Threadripper Pro to OEMs only

It won't be limited to oem only much longer

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

This would be an interesting platform if we weren't so close to general availability of Zen 3 based Epyc chips (Milan) and the first DDR5/PCIe 5.0 platforms looking like they are 12 to 18 months away.  Buyer's remorse seems to be built into the product.

The biggest benefit of Threadripper Pro over Eypc right now is the higher clocks.  Compared to vanilla Threadripper, the main benefit are of course the extra PCIe lanes and memory channels but lose overclocking support.  It just seems like such an odd positioning when AMD already offers single socket only Epyc chips that are already a good fit for the workstation market.    If AMD enabled overclocking, it'd be advantageous for workloads like a CPU based rendering farm where the trade off in stability can be balanced.  Ditto for memory overclocking as Threadripper Pro is limited to DDR4-3200 speeds where as the sweet spot for the more consumer system has shifted to DDR4-3600 or DDR-3733 (and the new AGESA update seems to bring DDR4-3800 stability to Zen3).