Alienware m17 gpu upgrade gone bad

MagePepsi

Hello there to everyone, quick question for you all, I've Tried installing this gpu on my alienware 17 (the gpu is a 970m) but after doing the upgrade.. My pc got really slow and the gpu was not detected as a nvidia one.. But as a '' microsoft basic display'', also I was not able to install the correct driver as the PC couldn' t recognized it! The gpu is also really chipped and it has some strange black spot on the pcb, here it is a picture for reference! Can someone tell me if this could be the problem why the gpu acts so strange? 

16108215184226070688782034985041.jpg

Screenshot_2021-01-16-19-26-29-902_com.miui.gallery.jpg

is that a direct replacement for the gpu the laptop came with? because laptop components aren't typically universal or follow any form factors or standards.

Yes i've checked the compatibility and it should be all nice and good! 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, The 17 R1 was released with the 700 and 800 series Nvidia cards (and also the AMD R9 M290x). 

Any 900 series card requires a modded Nvidia driver to make it work. Here is a guide that I found helpful when learning how to do it. It can be tricky at first but it's actually pretty simple. It will show as a Basic Microsoft Display Adapter until a driver is installed

https://null-src.com/posts/nvidia-notebook-driver-inf-mod/post.php

If the 970M came from another machine like an MSI then you may find that the vBIOS will not be compatible with your 17 and you will not get native fan control. If this happens then you can try flashing a new vBIOS or try using HWInfo to make a fan profile. 

If you have the 120Hz display and you don't have fan control, your GPU will heat up very quickly and it's likely that your machine will crash.