PC Crashes with monitor going blank and fans going to full speed?

Fritch94

So for the last year or so I've been having this problem where mid game my PC will crash with the monitor going blank and fans going to full speed. There are no event logs in windows for the crash. 

I've tried everything I can think of in the year since this started I've had a new PSU. So that's ruled out. 

I've ran as many bench tests as I can and the only one that replicates it is TimeSpy.

My specs are:

Ryzen 2700x (game mode on) 

MSI Gaming Pro x470

ROG STRIX vega 56 (stock)

1000w Corsair PSU

Any help would be very appreciated

My GPU died after few of those "blank screen-fans-100%"

I mean it's a symptom of a dying GPU maybe..

I edit my posts more often than not

8 minutes ago, Fritch94 said:

So for the last year or so I've been having this problem where mid game my PC will crash with the monitor going blank and fans going to full speed. There are no event logs in windows for the crash. 

I've tried everything I can think of in the year since this started I've had a new PSU. So that's ruled out. 

I've ran as many bench tests as I can and the only one that replicates it is TimeSpy.

My specs are:

Ryzen 2700x (game mode on) 

MSI Gaming Pro x470

ROG STRIX vega 56 (stock)

1000w Corsair PSU

Any help would be very appreciated

TimeSpy is - AFAIK - a GPU intensive benchmark; do you have access to another GPU to verify if it's the GPU?

What are the games in question, that the machine crashes with?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

8 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

TimeSpy is - AFAIK - a GPU intensive benchmark; do you have access to another GPU to verify if it's the GPU?

What are the games in question, that the machine crashes with? 

Possibly, I'll try and get one and see what happens. If it is the GPU.. Not the best time to get a new one 🤣😭

2 minutes ago, Fritch94 said:

Possibly, I'll try and get one and see what happens. If it is the GPU.. Not the best time to get a new one 🤣😭

I did mean w/o having to try & buy one (GL w/ that) - can you borrow one from another machine or a friend...?

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

1 hour ago, Eighjan said:

I did mean w/o having to try & buy one (GL w/ that) - can you borrow one from another machine or a friend...?

Trying a gtx 970 now.. I didn't mean buy I new one to test.. Just that it is a crappy time to buy a gpu if I have to. 

1 hour ago, Eighjan said:

So the gtx 970 I tried was fine. No issues what so ever. I was wondering is it worth under clocking the vega 56 to see if that helps it out? 

Out of pure frustration I put the vega 56 back in and ran TimeSpy and it bloody worked... I have no idea what is happening

On 1/16/2021 at 7:18 PM, Tan3l6 said:

My GPU died after few of those "blank screen-fans-100%"

I mean it's a symptom of a dying GPU maybe..

could be, but as far I recall I only had this whenever I tried using Ryzen Master (it's at this point, after several bios updates pretty clear its simply not compatible with my motherboard) 

And otherwise, lots of crashes can hint at a defective gpu, but generally not really, in my experience it's more like badly optimized / finicky programs, otherwise my GTX 1060 Gaming X is "dying" since about 2 years without any performance degradation whatsoever. 😉 (ie it's not) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/16/2021 at 9:17 PM, Fritch94 said:

Out of pure frustration I put the vega 56 back in and ran TimeSpy and it bloody worked... I have no idea what is happening

Ehh... did you even run FIRESTRIKE? That's the program that brings any wonky overclock / card to its knees... 

IF *that* works fine for you then I really have no idea what the issue could be (outside the usual, aka drivers...) 

Edit: alright, and yes, under volting your card could probably fix this, and it doesn't even necessarily have to cost much performance, if at all (since it'll run cooler) I just recalled, a lot of people do this with their AMDs, they often just draw way to much power at default settings, apparently. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity