BSOD Errors with my "new" PC Build

Bigbbbbbbbbbb

Hello all!

I recently (November) went and finally built my first pc! The specs are below, but after getting it together and such I have been running into BSOD errors left and right. These BSOD crashes don't

seem to be prompted by anything. It'll happen right after logging in to windows, sometimes wont crash until a lot later. I've even fully ran some of the tests I mention fully through and right after it will crash. I've already been seeking help through the Microsoft forums, and they've helped me through a lot of the preliminary troubleshooting and bench marking steps to check different components. I ultimately decided to RMA my motherboard, and after receiving a brand new one it still errors out. Ill include my specs, the google drive full of recent and past BSOD errors, and perhaps the microsoft forum if it helps as well.

• OS - Windows 10
  • x - x64
  • What OS was originaly installed on the system? - Windows 10
  • Is the OS an OEM version or full retail version - I purchased a Windows 10 OEM Key 
  • Age of system (hardware) - Brand new, only thing would be the parts were in my house for 1-2 months before I had all of them to complete the build.
  • Age of OS installation - Yes, I have reinstalled the OS. The current one was reinstalled more than a month ago.
  • CPU model - Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz
  • Video Card model - ASUS GeForce 3070 8gb TUF Gaming
  • MotherBoard - ASRock B550 Extreme4
  • Power Supply - Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Modular 
  • Ram - Team T-Force Delta RGB 16GB (8x2 GB) DDR-4 3200
  • Storage - Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD & a HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200 RPM HDD

Troubleshooting steps I have taken have been stress testing the CPU and RAM through programs like Memtest and Prime95. Both resulted in no errors. I have placed my ram into other systems with no issues, I have placed a different GPU in my system and still had BSOD. I've removed my HDD, re installed my OS multiple times and still have issues. Not sure what else to do.

Heres the BSOD files - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZHynDwlBZxwb-Vp-otBjEdACaKMoiZR0?usp=sharing

Heres the previous forum - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/bsod-crash-after-new-pc-build-troubleshooting-and/0ee3fd94-ef4d-40a8-b42b-20ff65718420?messageId=a1fb684f-4e83-49c6-8f26-80b4b15b5e14&page=1&auth=1&rtAction=1610817737982

Edited by Bigbbbbbbbbbb
Inclusion of what leads to crash

17 minutes ago, Bigbbbbbbbbbb said:

Hello all!

I recently (November) went and finally built my first pc! The specs are below, but after getting it together and such I have been running into BSOD errors left and right. I've already been seeking help

through the Microsoft forums, and they've helped me through a lot of the preliminary troubleshooting and bench marking steps to check different components. I ultimately decided to RMA my 

motherboard, and after receiving a brand new one it still errors out. Ill include my specs, the google drive full of recent and past BSOD errors, and perhaps the microsoft forum if it helps as well.

• OS - Windows 10
  • x - x64
  • Is the OS an OEM version or full retail version - I purchased a Windows 10 OEM Key 
  • Age of system (hardware) - Brand new, only thing would be the parts were in my house for 1-2 months before I had all of them to complete the build.
  • Age of OS installation - Yes, I have reinstalled the OS. The current one was reinstalled more than a month ago.
  • Storage - Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD & a HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200 RPM HDD

Troubleshooting steps I have taken have been stress testing the CPU and RAM through programs like Memtest and Prime95. Both resulted in no errors. I have placed my ram into other systems with no issues, I have placed a different GPU in my system and still had BSOD. I've removed my HDD, re installed my OS multiple times and still have issues. Not sure what else to do.

Heres the BSOD files - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ZHynDwlBZxwb-Vp-otBjEdACaKMoiZR0?usp=sharing

Heres the previous forum - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/bsod-crash-after-new-pc-build-troubleshooting-and/0ee3fd94-ef4d-40a8-b42b-20ff65718420?messageId=a1fb684f-4e83-49c6-8f26-80b4b15b5e14&page=1&auth=1&rtAction=1610817737982

Do you have photos of the blue screens to see the error message and error codes ? All I can see in google drive is memory dumps

3 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Do you have photos of the blue screens to see the error message and error codes ? All I can see in google drive is memory dumps

Apologies! I just went through and uploaded dozens into a folder marked "BSOD Screenshots" 

If you need to know the most recent BSOD error messages they were,

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

There were not specific files or anything listed along with them, just these error messages.

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, Bigbbbbbbbbbb said:

Hello all!

I recently (November) went and finally built my first pc! The specs are below, but after getting it together and such I have been running into BSOD errors left and right. I've already been seeking help

through the Microsoft forums, and they've helped me through a lot of the preliminary troubleshooting and bench marking steps to check different components. I ultimately decided to RMA my 

motherboard, and after receiving a brand new one it still errors out. Ill include my specs, the google drive full of recent and past BSOD errors, and perhaps the microsoft forum if it helps as well.

• OS - Windows 10
  • x - x64

All your errors seem to be driver related. Boot with a Linux live OS use your computer that way for a few hours and see what happens

download hardware monitor, check to see what temps your component are running at, make sure you they are under control. have you made sure you have updated all your drivers to the latest versions??

27 minutes ago, Bigbbbbbbbbbb said:

Hello all!

I recently (November) went and finally built my first pc! The specs are below, but after getting it together and such I have been running into BSOD errors left and right. These BSOD crashes don't

seem to be prompted by anything. It'll happen right after logging in to windows, sometimes wont crash until a lot later. I've even fully ran some of the tests I mention fully through and right after it will crash. I've already been seeking help through the Microsoft forums, and they've helped me through a lot of the preliminary troubleshooting and bench marking steps to check different components. I ultimately decided to RMA my motherboard, and after receiving a brand new one it still errors out. Ill include my specs, the google drive full of recent and past BSOD errors, and perhaps the microsoft forum if it helps as well.

• OS - Windows 10
  • x - x64

IF Linux works OK. reinstall windows and install drivers one by one. Pausing after each drivers installation and use the pc if it works OK move to the next driver until it start mis-behaving. Then you will know what is wrong

9 minutes ago, Gears OG said:

download hardware monitor, check to see what temps your component are running at, make sure you they are under control. have you made sure you have updated all your drivers to the latest versions??

Hey! 

I’ve previously stress tested all my devices, and checked temps of my devices. Of course my AMD CPU would run around the top of the acceptable temps, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Ive downloaded drivers multiple times, completely wiped them and redownloaded them as well. If it’s something I can do after other troubleshooting steps i’ll do that again.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

IF Linux works OK. reinstall windows and install drivers one by one. Pausing after each drivers installation and use the pc if it works OK move to the next driver until it start mis-behaving. Then you will know what is wrong

Okay! I’ll check out running linux on the system.

Since this is a seemingly really good build, I'm going to say it may be the hard drive(s) as in my opinion these kind of drives are not ready for the mass market yet (and ironically not needed at all either) 

So I suggest remove all storage devices, get a Samsung Evo 860 2. 5 inch, reset the BIOS/ clear CMOS and install windows on that drive and see how that goes. 

Other than that, all drivers, BIOS and especially chipset drivers are up to date or no? 

PS: yes, I see you already replaced the NVMe... still bios reset, other hard drives and the driver situation might play a role too (and hard drive is somehow the only thing i can see making problems in your configuration) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

30 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Since this is a seemingly really good build, I'm going to say it may be the hard drive(s) as in my opinion these kind of drives are not ready for the mass market yet (and ironically not needed at all either) 

So I suggest remove all storage devices, get a Samsung Evo 860 2. 5 inch, reset the BIOS/ clear CMOS and install windows on that drive and see how that goes. 

Other than that, all drivers, BIOS and especially chipset drivers are up to date or no? 

PS: yes, I see you already replaced the NVMe... still bios reset, other hard drives and the driver situation might play a role too (and hard drive is somehow the only thing i can see making problems in your configuration) 

Hey!

I have already specifically removed my HDD from the system and booted up from the SSD as it’s my main boot, but it still crashed. I do have access to a 2.5” ssd (specifically ipsg 240gb i pro ssd drive) that is used as a boot drive on my families Dell OEM that I installed and hasn’t ran into any issues. I could switch them out perhaps, but i’m going to see if the linux method helps first.

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Bigbbbbbbbbbb said:

Hey!

I have already specifically removed my HDD from the system and booted up from the SSD as it’s my main boot, but it still crashed. I do have access to a 2.5” ssd (specifically ipsg 240gb i pro ssd drive) that is used as a boot drive on my families Dell OEM that I installed and hasn’t ran into any issues. I could switch them out perhaps, but i’m going to see if the linux method helps first.

Thanks!

Booting from a USB Live Linux should clear any implication of the HDD/SSD drives in the crashes.

3 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Hey! Quick update, after running ubuntu from a USB doesn’t seem to crash at all! I’ll let it run and if it lasts longer i’ll look into going through and redownloading windows and my drivers. Is there anything specific like wiping drives or something that I should do first?

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Bigbbbbbbbbbb said:

Hey! Quick update, after running ubuntu from a USB doesn’t seem to crash at all! I’ll let it run and if it lasts longer i’ll look into going through and redownloading windows and my drivers. Is there anything specific like wiping drives or something that I should do first?

Thanks!

You should make 1000% sure that your RAM is fine, meaning you should do MEMTEST 2-3 times, I know it takes time but you really should.

Also you should check all drives for read/write errors and their smart status. This will take a looong time be prepared.

For all the above you can use Hirens boot CD/DVD and not the PE environment but the older versions because the PE does not have all the tools.

When installing drivers install them one by one and test how the computer works in between.

3 hours ago, Bigbbbbbbbbbb said:

that's great, and pretty much what I expected. thing is, I still think it's your drive, windows isn't Linux and Windows currently has issues with certain drive types. 

6 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I suggest remove all storage devices, get a Samsung Evo 860 2. 5 inch, reset the BIOS/ clear CMOS and install windows on that drive and see how that goes. 

This isnt a guaranteed fix or anything but it's something rather simple to try, a 250gb Evo 860 doesn't cost much. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

You should make 1000% sure that your RAM is fine, meaning you should do MEMTEST 2-3 times, I know it takes time but you really should.

Also you should check all drives for read/write errors and their smart status. This will take a looong time be prepared.

For all the above you can use Hirens boot CD/DVD and not the PE environment but the older versions because the PE does not have all the tools.

When installing drivers install them one by one and test how the computer works in between.

Hey! Quick update

Went through and downloaded the Hirens program, I did have to download the PE edition on a USB just to quickly because the other edition didn’t properly download on my boot usb. This edition did actually crash though, so not sure if that’s a sign of anything or if I should just continue with the right edition.

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Bigbbbbbbbbbb said:

Hey! Quick update

Went through and downloaded the Hirens program, I did have to download the PE edition on a USB just to quickly because the other edition didn’t properly download on my boot usb. This edition did actually crash though, so not sure if that’s a sign of anything or if I should just continue with the right edition.

Thanks!

Maybe it means something, you have an error message ?, Just try the other DOS based versions.

In the Windows PE they have included only freeware apps while in the DOS version they have Demo and Shareware apps that of course would never expire because they where running on a live system.

I guess someone complained and forced them to take them off in the recent versions.

3 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Maybe it means something, you have an error message ?, Just try the other DOS based versions.

In the Windows PE they have included only freeware apps while in the DOS version they have Demo and Shareware apps that of course would never expire because they where running on a live system.

I guess someone complained and forced them to take them off in the recent versions.

Hello!

My apologies, when it crashed I did not have enough time to get a picture of the BSOD. I’ll run it again and see what results when I arrive home. I’ll try to download a DOS version, do you know if your able to do that on a USB or not? When I attempted to do it with a non PE version I got an error saying it failed to put the iso file into it.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Bigbbbbbbbbbb said:

Hello!

My apologies, when it crashed I did not have enough time to get a picture of the BSOD. I’ll run it again and see what results when I arrive home. I’ll try to download a DOS version, do you know if your able to do that on a USB or not? When I attempted to do it with a non PE version I got an error saying it failed to put the iso file into it.

Thanks!

Yes all ISO can be run from cd / dvd / usb

Clear cmos, and update the bios.

On 1/17/2021 at 1:51 PM, Biomecanoid said:

Yes all ISO can be run from cd / dvd / usb

Hey!

I went through and there weren’t any issues with hardware that I could see. I redownloaded windows, and it seems the BSOD errors persist. I’m not sure if it’s because there is a driver still downloaded after moving to the clean install or what? I got some BSOD errors like 

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

as well as 

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

at the moment I do not have any extra software downloaded, and have only installed the windows update afterwards. I’m going to try and see if the optional drivers help at all.

Also a note about the errors- they aren’t all consistent. Sometimes my computer will freeze and not allow any mouse movement or anything, or will allow mouse movement but is frozen. Sometimes BSOD errors happen right after logging in and other times take a while. Not sure if that helps or not.

Thanks!