2VM's or 2 Towers 2021

sokraal

I was looking but every piece of information is old on that topic. So what is better? You can build two middle range systems with all the extra hardware or build one with better components and split it between two users (separate GPU's of course). What advantages and disadvantages you get with each solution?

For example I would like to have two gaming systems in one place. For games and some light work, used mostly by one of users. Logic says VM. Less components, less space.

I would like to hear from you but real live examples are my field of interest. If there are bottlenecks with hardware, issues with managing VMs or any other things person should know before deciding I would love to hear about it.

Well yes but let's not address the "elephant" in the room and ignore the reality of no components available right now.

Two systems would actually be considerably faster than a single system and probably cost less. I think just the bus speed alone would be better with two separate machines.

If you take a single machine , and duplicate it , you get an exact 50% increase in throughput. Vs trying to build a single machine that matches the speed and throughput of the two slower machines for the same price. This is why you render stuff in render farms with clusters of cheap machines vs trying to build a single mammoth machine.

-= Topic moved to New Builds and Planning =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's true but if I'll build 2 machines with for example i5 then I have to upgrade both of them in some time including probably motherboards and coolers. In VM configuration I can use it as a single PC in future without upgrade. 

39 minutes ago, sokraal said:

Well that's true but if I'll build 2 machines with for example i5 then I have to upgrade both of them in some time including probably motherboards and coolers. In VM configuration I can use it as a single PC in future without upgrade. 

Had you built a single machine 2 years ago, would you happily use the 2700x as a single machine today? Or, would you much rather replace it with a 5600X?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

I would also go with the 2 machines. There is more chance something will go wrong with the VM and both people loose computers.