High quality European surge protector?

Shoopman

Figured this would probably be the best place to ask as I know a lot of people with extensive electrical knowledge post here.

I'm looking for a high quality surge protector, 4-6 outlets, that fits European type F (Schuko) plugs. > These things

I have no idea where to even look. Tripp Lite has one but it is only rated for 250 Joules and does not have automatic shutoff. I am looking to protect a high end PC and two monitors, and I don't think that will be sufficient.

Any help is much appreciated!

8 minutes ago, Shoopman said:

Figured this would probably be the best place to ask as I know a lot of people with extensive electrical knowledge post here.

I'm looking for a high quality surge protector, 4-6 outlets, that fits European type F (Schuko) plugs. > These things

I have no idea where to even look. Tripp Lite has one but it is only rated for 250 Joules and does not have automatic shutoff. I am looking to protect a high end PC and two monitors, and I don't think that will be sufficient.

Any help is much appreciated!

I've never seen a surge protector with automatic shut off as surge protection is passive components, no logic involved.  Sounds more like you need a UPS.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I've never seen a surge protector with automatic shut off as surge protection is passive components, no logic involved.  Sounds more like you need a UPS.

I'll admit this is ignorance on my part. I assumed that automatic shutoff meant that the surge protector would shut off power if a surge was detected.

1 minute ago, Shoopman said:

I'll admit this is ignorance on my part. I assumed that automatic shutoff meant that the surge protector would shut off power if a surge was detected.

As great as that sounds, its not how they work.  When a surge occurs they simply shunt that surge down the earth pin.  That may trip any GFCI/RCD protecting your circuit at the fuse box but its not by design.

I did actually have a surge protector years ago with a built-in RCD and it was a nightmare as it was stupidly sensitive.  It would shut off the power when we turned the cooker fan on.

A UPS on the other hand will do much of the same as a surge protector but also can rectify under or over voltages and switch over to battery if the power is wildly out of specification.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

As great as that sounds, its not how they work.  When a surge occurs they simply shunt that surge down the earth pin.  That may trip any GFCI/RCD protecting your circuit at the fuse box but its not by design.

I did actually have a surge protector years ago with a built-in RCD and it was a nightmare as it was stupidly sensitive.  It would shut off the power when we turned the cooker fan on.

A UPS on the other hand will do much of the same as a surge protector but also can rectify under or over voltages and switch over to battery if the power is wildly out of specification.

I don't really anticipate that situation, I live in the Netherlands and strong storms are not very common here, but I just want some peace of mind. I don't want to just plug my PC into the wall and leave it up to fate.