BEST RTX 3080 for OVERCLOCKING!!

Locutus8of4

Assuming the RTX 3080's do become available for MSRP around April/May as I've read...

I've heard they don't have a lot of overclocking room, but which variants can handle the most power? which are the best for overclocking?

Am I correct in thinking you would want to buy a non OC model so you "OC it the most" yourself? 

** Hoping for a good MSI one as that's my MOBO brand and it would be nice if they match

** I plan on getting a full water block if that matters, 1050W System PSU

9 minutes ago, Locutus8of4 said:

Assuming the RTX 3080's do become available for MSRP around April/May as I've read...

I've heard they don't have a lot of overclocking room, but which variants can handle the most power? which are the best for overclocking?

Am I correct in thinking you would want to buy a non OC model so you "OC it the most" yourself? 

** Hoping for a good MSI one as that's my MOBO brand and it would be nice if they match

** I plan on getting a full water block if that matters, 1050W System PSU

Its unlikely that any game would struggle on a 3080 that you would need to overclock it. Better hope that prices go back to normal

What about a 3070, I bet that could use some overclocking? lol

29 minutes ago, Locutus8of4 said:

If your goal is maximum % overclock, then maybe, assuming the cards have the same power limit and you get lucky lottery-wise.

The point in OC'ing is to get the maximum available performance from the hardware you have.

A high end card doesn't "OC less" than a low end one. the higher end card just has a smaller margin for OC'ing. All else being equal, they'd both perform to the peak of their silicon.

You're looking for a card with a higher power limit. This usually comes with the higher end cards. You're correct in asking owners what each specific model will do.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64