Wifi Mesh Router + Smart managed switch + unmanaged switch (Network Design help)

kip_2848

I feel like I have 2 options and both of them are as below: [Any help in this appreciated, Thanks]

Queries:

1) If we go for option 1, will Netgear mesh router suffice to control the network and for security?

2) What is the impact of Smart managed switch > Unmanaged switch (R3) directly VS smart managed switch > Netgear Child > Unmanaged switch (R3)? [PS. That is my room, I would prefer to have best possible speed, connectivity and control. Negligible real world impacts can be ignored]

3) Can I connect my Netgear Child to Netgear parent via a smart switch as shown in Option 1?

4) Does option 2 present any advantages over option 1?

5) Is there any opportunity to build redundency into the network?

6) Also, it is important that I be able to have control over my smart switch, router, ISP router from anywhere in my house through any device. Is that feasible and doable in this network?

7) This is asking for too much, I know >> I need a cheapest option to have access to my private network through external network. [I am behind a CGNAT, with no IPv6 support | preferably free since this more of a hobby project than a real requirement]

image.thumb.png.c3b434c1ee3ae8212758a72239dd762d.png

Depends, really. How much and what gear do you already have and what's your budget are the most important.

As for the network topology, version 2 is definitively the easier one. I'd recommend pulling at least 2 cables between each switch, maybe consider including fibre optic cabling as well, maybe not for immediate use, but better to have stuff in place before upgrading in the future 😉

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)