Is this modded PSU safe to use?

electropical

Hi,

Matthew Perks (DIY Perks) just upgraded his "invisible PC", which includes replacing his 1U seasonic PSU with an SFX that he modded :

The mod consists in getting rid of the fan and a large portion of the housing so that it would fit inside the table frame. To cool the PSU components, he is relying on the airflow generated by radiators fans (noctua NF-A4x20).

It is now well known that static pressure is critical when it comes to cooling PSU components with a fan, and I'm wondering whether this gentleman is endangering himself with this particular setup or not.

Apparently, he is getting quite a lot of airflow (in game, his GPU temp tops at 55°C), but I'm afraid this won't cut it for the PSU...

What do you guys think? 

P.S. I am not asking this as a pretext to bash Matthew's work, as I really appreciate the man's efforts to make well-informed decisions. I genuinely fear that he might start a fire in his house or something.

Feels a little wrong but I don't really know much about that kind of stuff.

Yeah, at our level we really can't draw definitive conclusions, but still this does NOT look good... 🥺

Using plastic sheets to force the air into that tiny space might sound like a good idea, but his PSU (be quiet SFX-L POWER 600W) is meant to be cooled from above, not from the side, and even then the air coming from the radiator fans might be too hot to do proper cooling anyway...

diyperks2.jpg.09214415d0a42f486dd0ddd18292246f.jpg
diyperks1.jpg.de17712dd788e501e8e1c7a372720d6f.jpg

My objections to this is simple.

DO NOT TAMPER WITH HIGH VOLTAGE EQUIPMENT.

Branded PSUs, as with every other branded electrical component and appliance, undergo strict testing to ensure that they are safe and will not kill you. The moment you open the case and start taking it apart, everything goes. If this thing kills you, the manufacturer can, and will be within their rights, deny any liability. 

As people mentioned above, airflow is also a major consideration.