VR Double Vision with head movement on RTX 2080Ti

alsebka

Hey everyone!

lately in my VR sessions when im moving my head i noticed something similiar to double vision. Someting i havent noticed before so i think its something new that is happeing here.  Ive attached two screenshots. One which is basically what you would expect and the other one is a photoshop mockup of what im seeing. The faster the head movement the wider the double vision gap is getting. i can see it even with slow movement. like if one of the screens of the VR headset isnt in sync.

I've searched the google and tried different settings in steam but nothing except changing the FPS vom 144Hz to 80Hz will eliminate that effect. 

I'm using a Valve Index with a 2080Ti FE. I'm getting around 3-4ms - so no problem there. Its all smooth - no stuttering, but that damn double vision effect. Makes you feel drunk. 
I've turned smoothing on off - changed the supersampling, HDCp 1.4 legacy etc.pp. but nothing worked...

I even tried my gtx 1080 and got the same results.. 

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers

VR_Before.jpg

VR_Currently.jpg

33 minutes ago, alsebka said:

nothing except changing the FPS vom 144Hz to 80Hz will eliminate that effect.

Sounds like it could be reprojection artifacts. In that case if you set the target to 144 FPS, if it can't hit that, it'll halve to 72 and interpolate the other frames.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

On 1/16/2021 at 12:03 PM, tikker said:

Sounds like it could be reprojection artifacts. In that case if you set the target to 144 FPS, if it can't hit that, it'll halve to 72 and interpolate the other frames.

Hm but considering the ms response time the GPU handles it just Fine. I can see those artifact btw everywhere. Even in the menu with under 2 or sometimes 1ms respond times. 

2 hours ago, alsebka said:

Hm but considering the ms response time the GPU handles it just Fine. I can see those artifact btw everywhere. Even in the menu with under 2 or sometimes 1ms respond times. 

I'm talking about the FPS you get, not the response time. The smoothing kicks in as soon as you're not able to (consistently) hit your target framerate and can introduce artifacts. That's why it sounds possible to me as you say it disappears when lowering to 80.

Can you verify you are actually hitting/staying above 144 FPS in the games you play?

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB