Looking for new uses for an old AM2+ pc

davidsondakoda

So I wasn't sure where I should post this but I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with an old AM2+ desktop I have. Also first time posting here so hi there. 

I'll spare you the greater details of it but it's an old dual core CPU, currently has integrated graphics but I have multiple unused old graphics cards laying around, the mobo supports pcie gen 2, usb 2.0, and sata 2

I re-found it in my basement, I have a lot of memories with the thing so I don't wanna just throw it out but I can't think of any great projects for it. I don't need a NAS because I already have that set up, I also already have a media server set up with ways to stream all over my house and out of it. Can anyone here think of a cool project for a heavily outdated but still functioning desktop? Thanks in advance!

I would say either expand your NAS if you can, or use it for F@H for the time being. If not, any kids? Great first time rig for not real demanding stuff.

Or if you really have noting else for it, use it for experimenting with new concepts/ideas that you want to try but aren't willing to risk a high end system. If it's not THAT important to you.

Also, welcome to the forum!

I've got the same thing (Old AM2+ board & parts & no use), so I have the same question and also open to ideas as I have a lack of software and HDD's to build a NAS.

So after making this I did think of a possible interesting use for the old parts. Using it to build an arcade machine with emulation like how some do with raspberry pi. Found a button kit on amazon for about $35 and I have a few old monitors so I'm gonna try building a cabinet and doing that.

If I had kids I would probably go with setting it up for them, but didn't think of F@H that would be another good use for it.

The thought of using it to set up security cameras also crossed my mind, but having space invaders and pac man on an arcade machine in my basement sounds more fun.

Hope you also find a good use for the old AM2+ stuff and thanks for the suggestions and the welcome!

Put in an SSD and use it as a firewall (i.e. pfsense box)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

13 hours ago, davidsondakoda said:

The thought of using it to set up security cameras also crossed my mind, but having space invaders and pac man on an arcade machine in my basement sounds more fun.

Why not both? If you want to play pacman and old 2D stuff (not PSX emulation etc) your PC could probably handle both workloads. 

On 1/17/2021 at 4:40 AM, Dutch_Master said:

Put in an SSD and use it as a firewall (i.e. pfsense box)

I'll have to look into that more, didn't think of it but yeah that could be a use for it, always better to have a safer network

On 1/17/2021 at 2:53 PM, papajo said:

Why not both? If you want to play pacman and old 2D stuff (not PSX emulation etc) your PC could probably handle both workloads. 

This is true, not to mention it would be kinda funny to have an arcade cabinet that shows security feeds for my house in between space invader games lol 

10 minutes ago, davidsondakoda said:

I'll have to look into that more, didn't think of it but yeah that could be a use for it, always better to have a safer network

This is true, not to mention it would be kinda funny to have an arcade cabinet that shows security feeds for my house in between space invader games lol 

If you like it to be so then yes otherwise you could always hook a secondary display outside the cabinet you gonna make for your project and have your camera feeds showing up there