Soothing pain after tooth extraction?

Ergroilnin

Heya!

I am sure a lot of you had to go through the pain of tooth extraction, so I'd love to hear your experiences and tips on easing the healing pains.

Just to make sure, I will say that I am NOT looking for medical advice, since not only I know that is not allowed on these forums but also knowing that if I needed acute help, doctors are the only way to go.

So long story short, on thursday I had my appointment with my dentist, which was only supposed to be for three or so teeth drilling (I am not sure the proper english wording for this), basically teeth rot drilling. Well in the end I had unexpected extraction of bottom right wisdom tooth (which needed stitches, that I will be getting out next thursday), which was not a pleasant experience but I survived it obviously lol.

It has been almost 2 days now and it hurts pretty badly (I mean it is 3 am where I live and I woke up due to discomfort).

I know that wisdom teeth extractions are usually the worse ones so I am not actually surprised or worried about the amount of pain (it is not like I am lying down, screaming from pain or anything), but it is still VERY uncomfortable.

So I am just curious about how to ease that pain and discomfort from your personal experiences.

I already tried stuff like icing the place from outside, eating ice cream, getting non description pain killers and so on and it makes it bearable somewhat. I am just curious if you have any tips on making this more... well... pleasant. Or if the only way is to toughen up more and deal with it for few more days :P

ps. my cheek looks like stuffed hamster :D

Freezing cold water. 

Lemon juice. 

High percentage alcohol drinks. 

I've had my four wisdom teeth extracted almost 3 years ago(time flies when your having fun). They did them in pairs where it was two on right side, went back a week later and got the other two later. All of them were impacted and left a nice crater after they were removed. Taking NSAIDs and pain killers OTC were the only solutions to treating them afterwards. Also, ice packs and eating oatmeal for days on end and soft foods were the only things I could eat.

The worse part was getting the anesthesia and seeing that huge needle go into my mouth.  

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Extra Strength Advil Gel Caps, the only thing I have found that helped some. I have had a ton of dental work done over the last 5-6 years including teeth extraction. Nothing helps a ton, but I always found Advil helped the most, enough to be able to sleep atleast

5 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I've had my four wisdom teeth extracted almost 3 years ago(time flies when your having fun). They did them in pairs where it was two on right side, went back a week later and got the other two later. All of them were impacted and left a nice crater after they were removed. Taking NSAIDs and pain killers OTC were the only solutions to treating them afterwards. Also, ice packs and eating oatmeal for days on end and soft foods were the only things I could eat.

The worse part was getting the anesthesia and seeing that huge needle go into my mouth.  

Well thankfully for me, getting that needle did not bother me at the least. I actually got the anesthesia before doc decided to extract the tooth (he is the kind to try to save teeth, so he even drilled the wisdom tooth first, but after he dealt with few others, he decided this one actually needed extraction anyway :D).

But basically what you're saying is that after a week you were okay enough to get the other side wisdom teeth getting extraction?

If I am only looking for about 5 more days of discomfort (unless complications occur in my case obviously), then I can deal with that.

The pain your experiencing is inflammation, good pain killers would be anything ibuprophen aka Advil the fastest acting would be extra strength liquid capsules. Just don't overdo it.

Just now, Ergroilnin said:

Well thankfully for me, getting that needle did not bother me at the least. I actually got the anesthesia before doc decided to extract the tooth (he is the kind to try to save teeth, so he even drilled the wisdom tooth first, but after he dealt with few others, he decided this one actually needed extraction anyway :D).

But basically what you're saying is that after a week you were okay enough to get the other side wisdom teeth getting extraction?

If I am only looking for about 5 more days of discomfort (unless complications occur in my case obviously), then I can deal with that.

I just hate feeling him inject the anesthesia into my gum that made it horrible. A few of the wisdom teeth were coming in at an angle straight into my molars so the doctor had to cut into the gumline down a bit to pull them out(AKA impacted). It's funny when he was pulling them out, it just felt like he was wrestling with it since you don't feel anything. 

Basically, they(Doctor's office) wanted to go that route since they didn't want to leave me without eating anything for days due to the discomfort. Ice packs are your best friend here to keep the inflammation down and swelling. It's crucial you do this for a couple days after getting them pulled. I believe I was also told to not brush my teeth or use mouthwash, just rinse with water. You also don't want to get a dry socket. Don't drink anything through a straw as you could pull the stitches out. I took acetaminophen (Tylenol) for the pain. 

Overall, after a week or so, it was much better but just felt weird since your mouth has to heal the gumline. Then again, had to repeat it again for the 2nd round of extractions.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

I guess I am kind of a pussy from what I've read so far (not only this forum). :D

It is just that this was the first time getting my tooth extracted and without an appointment for that even, so I am not sure how to feel.

I guess everything is just fine so far (I mean the unexpected extraction was on thursday and on friday I survived workday just fine, even with the discomfornt).

But it makes it a lot better to read good stories and tips on how to deal with it afterwards like this :)

2 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I just hate feeling him inject the anesthesia into my gum that made it horrible. A few of the wisdom teeth were coming in at an angle straight into my molars so the doctor had to cut into the gumline down a bit to pull them out(AKA impacted). It's funny when he was pulling them out, it just felt like he was wrestling with it since you don't feel anything. 

Basically, they(Doctor's office) wanted to go that route since they didn't want to leave me without eating anything for days due to the discomfort. Ice packs are your best friend here to keep the inflammation down and swelling. It's crucial you do this for a couple days after getting them pulled. I believe I was also told to not brush my teeth or use mouthwash, just rinse with water. You also don't want to get a dry socket. Don't drink anything through a straw as you could pull the stitches out. I took acetaminophen (Tylenol) for the pain. 

Overall, after a week or so, it was much better but just felt weird since your mouth has to heal the gumline. Then again, had to repeat it again for the 2nd round of extractions.

Oh yeah, the extraction itself took like 45 minutes, since the roots were still healthy. So even though I did not feel pain, the pressure felt like he was about to break my jawbone lol :D

Yeah the dry socket is a thing I am worried about the most, since one of my exes actually had that when I was with her and that were not happy times to say at least.

1 minute ago, Ergroilnin said:

Oh yeah, the extraction itself took like 45 minutes, since the roots were still healthy. So even though I did not feel pain, the pressure felt like he was about to break my jawbone lol :D

Yeah the dry socket is a thing I am worried about the most, since one of my exes actually had that when I was with her and that were not happy times to say at least.

Yeah that's how it was for me lol.

Dry socket was one of my worse fears of getting after getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Only really had to get them pulled after a checkup X-ray with the orthodontist for straightening my teeth. They had to come out or otherwise, it would screw up all the work he did. 

6 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Yeah that's how it was for me lol.

Dry socket was one of my worse fears of getting after getting my wisdom teeth pulled. Only really had to get them pulled after a checkup X-ray with the orthodontist for straightening my teeth. They had to come out or otherwise, it would screw up all the work he did. 

Just curious, but did your dentist or your experiences/info you possibly looked at afterwards, say anything about dry socket happening when stitched?

I was kinda unable to ask my dentist after the extraction and my local forums pretty much said that 95% were unstitched.

Personally I feel like stitched wounds after extractions should be more resistant to this problem but obviously I will ask that this thursday on my next appointment.

Just curious, since I searched only my local web and not general web for this problem, considering I do not know the different takes on anything health related in english (different takes, laws etc.)

3 minutes ago, Ergroilnin said:

Just curious, but did your dentist or your experiences/info you possibly looked at afterwards, say anything about dry socket happening when stitched?

I was kinda unable to ask my dentist after the extraction and my local forums pretty much said that 95% were unstitched.

Personally I feel like stitched wounds after extractions should be more resistant to this problem but obviously I will ask that this thursday on my next appointment.

Just curious, since I searched only my local web and not general web for this problem, considering I do not know the different takes on anything health related in english (different takes, laws etc.)

Not that I remember with dry socketing happening when stitched. Just that if you suck on a straw, you can somehow pull the blood clot where the socket is and cause it to become a dry socket. Or you could possibly pull the stitches out with a straw, but mine were the dissolvable type. 

Just now, SpiderMan said:

Not that I remember with dry socketing happening when stitched. Just that if you suck on a straw, you can somehow pull the blood clot where the socket is and cause it to become a dry socket. Or you could possibly pull the stitches out with a straw, but mine were the dissolvable type. 

I see :)

Thanks for all the answers.

My stitches are not dissolvable ones, I actually managed to ask lol :D Doc said those would not be strong enough to not break during the healing.

This will be the first time I am actually looking towards dentist apointment, since what is the worst for me is not the pain, but not knowing how the healing is actually going :P

5 more days to go :P

5 minutes ago, Ergroilnin said:

I see :)

Thanks for all the answers.

My stitches are not dissolvable ones, I actually managed to ask lol :D Doc said those would not be strong enough to not break during the healing.

This will be the first time I am actually looking towards dentist apointment, since what is the worst for me is not the pain, but not knowing how the healing is actually going :P

5 more days to go :P

Best of luck!!!

Man, this takes me right back to when I got my wisdom teeth pulled about three years ago. All four of them. It sucked... and then I caught the flu a week after. 

Yeah, everyone's already said it, but look for strong painkillers, i.e. Advil. I was prescribed some relatively strong painkillers when I got my wisdom teeth pulled, from what I remember. They were effective.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

13 hours ago, Ergroilnin said:

Heya!

I am sure a lot of you had to go through the pain of tooth extraction, so I'd love to hear your experiences and tips on easing the healing pains.

Just to make sure, I will say that I am NOT looking for medical advice, since not only I know that is not allowed on these forums but also knowing that if I needed acute help, doctors are the only way to go.

So long story short, on thursday I had my appointment with my dentist, which was only supposed to be for three or so teeth drilling (I am not sure the proper english wording for this), basically teeth rot drilling. Well in the end I had unexpected extraction of bottom right wisdom tooth (which needed stitches, that I will be getting out next thursday), which was not a pleasant experience but I survived it obviously lol.

It has been almost 2 days now and it hurts pretty badly (I mean it is 3 am where I live and I woke up due to discomfort).

I know that wisdom teeth extractions are usually the worse ones so I am not actually surprised or worried about the amount of pain (it is not like I am lying down, screaming from pain or anything), but it is still VERY uncomfortable.

So I am just curious about how to ease that pain and discomfort from your personal experiences.

I already tried stuff like icing the place from outside, eating ice cream, getting non description pain killers and so on and it makes it bearable somewhat. I am just curious if you have any tips on making this more... well... pleasant. Or if the only way is to toughen up more and deal with it for few more days :P

ps. my cheek looks like stuffed hamster :D

Did your Dentist prescribe any pain killers?

When I got my Wisdom Tooth extracted, I was given T4's w/ Codeine. They were very effective (though I tried to take as little as needed).

As others have mentioned, cold things work well because they numb the nerves. Milkshakes, smoothies, ice packs, cold water, etc. If it's legal in your country/state/region, Cannabis works quite well too.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I remember when my wisdom tooth was so rotten (yuck) that the rot had actually gone to the nerve and caused the most horrible pain I've ever experienced, smoking cigarettes helped for a short while. But that helped only for a short time, like less than half an hour. It was quite effective though. I would just get some painkillers and be done with it, probably the pain will subside on it's own in a couple of days.

I didn't read but ibuprofen and maybe some of that numbing gel is the best way to go.  If the pain is too much for that to handle you need to talk to the dentist

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers