Gauge of PSU Wall outlet Power Cable

matooch
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,

Welcome to the forums!!!

If your running a Threadripper and a 3090 together, I'd go with a +1000W unit to keep up with the demand. But, you can start with the basics, have you DDUed(nuked) your graphics drivers after installing the 3090? There might be an issue there. 

5 minutes ago, matooch said:

Is it possible that the power cable I'm using is regulating how much wattage my psu is capable of?

I would have suspected the cable sheathing would start to melt off since the PSU is not going to know what type of cable is connected to it and pull more current than what the cable is rated for. 

I recently purchased a 3090 and everything seems to run fine doing any 3D rendering and what not. When I'm playing games everything seems to run totally fine, but sometimes when loading a menu or new cut scene, the computer seems to crash or have some sort of power failure. The screen goes black, but the computer seems to be running still, but no reaction to input. Turning off the power supply seems to be the only way to turn it off. I have a 2920 Threadripper and a bunch of hard drives and ram. I also have a Corsair AX860. Theoretically, the power supply should be enough. It is 5 years old, so there's that as well.

Now for my main question:

I realize that I also have what seems to be a thinner than original power cable that is going into the wall outlet (Battery backup). I remember in the past I used a too small of cable on another machine and it would not boot at all.

Is it possible that the power cable I'm using is regulating how much wattage my psu is capable of?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!!!

If your running a Threadripper and a 3090 together, I'd go with a +1000W unit to keep up with the demand. But, you can start with the basics, have you DDUed(nuked) your graphics drivers after installing the 3090? There might be an issue there. 

5 minutes ago, matooch said:

I would have suspected the cable sheathing would start to melt off since the PSU is not going to know what type of cable is connected to it and pull more current than what the cable is rated for. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 hour ago, matooch said:

The screen goes black, but the computer seems to be running still, but no reaction to input

If the PC is still running, that's not the PSU... Try removing any OCs, trying stress tests, test one stick of RAM at a time etc, normal troubleshooting.

:)