CPU cooler upgraded, PC was stuck in boot loop. What was the reason?

MrMikeoxsmall
Go to solution Solved by Radium_Angel,
2 minutes ago, MrMikeoxsmall said:

Should I loosen it further? 

Because if I go further I am afraid it will dislodge randomly and fall off.

No, leave it as it is. When I put on CPU coolers, I use a screwdriver and tighten down until the screw stops moving with a light touch on the screwdriver (basically no more force than I used to start turning the screws to begin with)

I upgraded my pc by installing a cooler master and set everything up. It worked fine but I had a doubt if my cooler was screwed in evenly so I opened it up again, removed ram sticks and cooler, and lightly wiped off excess thermal paste. Reinstalled cooler much more tighter and ram sticks.

Now when I powered it on it would light up and shut down in 2 or 3 secs. I panicked and loosened some heatsink screws and reseated the ram.

Then the pc booted but the pc froze on my desktop.

I rebooted AGAIN and finally it works fine. It's working fine as I write this.

What do you think caused it to undergo that loop and is there anything I should do right now?

Specs:

i7 - 10700

Lenovo RTX 2070 Super

Lenovo stock Mobo

FSP 80+ Gold PSU

Lenovo Gaming Ram 2 x 8 GB

Cooler Master Black edition RGB

18 minutes ago, MrMikeoxsmall said:

much more tighter

You crunched the pins that make contact with your CPU. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

You crunched the pins that make contact with your CPU. 

Could you please elaborate a bit  more?

1 minute ago, MrMikeoxsmall said:

Could you please elaborate a bit  more?

You damaged the cpu socket by overtightening things. Putting too much pressure on the board and causing connection issues. By backing off of that, the board returned to normal.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

You damaged the cpu socket by overtightening things. Putting too much pressure on the board and causing connection issues. By backing off of that, the board returned to normal.

Is the socket still damaged or is it normal now?

because this cooler used a spring loaded system, so it was tight only when you could not screw anymore and I did not reach that point.

Just now, MrMikeoxsmall said:

Is the socket still damaged or is it normal now?

If the system behaves from now on, then you got lucky. If it acts up, then you damaged the board.

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

If the system behaves from now on, then you got lucky. If it acts up, then you damaged the board.

2 minutes ago, MrMikeoxsmall said:

No, leave it as it is. When I put on CPU coolers, I use a screwdriver and tighten down until the screw stops moving with a light touch on the screwdriver (basically no more force than I used to start turning the screws to begin with)

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Do you think it also could have been the RAM not being seated properly? Because I tried to avoid overtightening as much as I could and didnt hear any crunching sounds when screwing.

3 minutes ago, MrMikeoxsmall said:

Do you think it also could have been the RAM not being seated properly? Because I tried to avoid overtightening as much as I could and didnt hear any crunching sounds when screwing.

It's possible, but I would tend to agree that probably there was too much mounting pressure on the CPU during the round where it was shutting down after a few seconds. I don't know that you would have heard any crunching even if it was over tightened. Which Coolermaster cooler did you user? If the Hyper 212, I ALWAYS worry about over tightening that one specifically.

1 minute ago, Flannelist said:

It's possible, but I would tend to agree that probably there was too much mounting pressure on the CPU during the round where it was shutting down after a few seconds. I don't know that you would have heard any crunching even if it was over tightened. Which Coolermaster cooler did you user? If the Hyper 212, I ALWAYS worry about over tightening that one specifically.

I used : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H9JL1P8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is equipped with spring mechanisms, so I wouldn't have thought it would have been easy to overtighten. 

Do you think I should loosen it up a bit more to be safe or is it fine the way it is right now?

5 minutes ago, MrMikeoxsmall said:

I used : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07H9JL1P8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is equipped with spring mechanisms, so I wouldn't have thought it would have been easy to overtighten. 

Do you think I should loosen it up a bit more to be safe or is it fine the way it is right now?

LTT ate my post, basically you'd only hear crunching if you used power tools to tighten down the screws. If the RAM was not properly seated, the system wouldn't have POSTed at all...

1 minute ago, MrMikeoxsmall said:

Yep, that's the one I was envisioning. Honestly, I think the springs are what mess with me on that cooler specifically.  I would say i you're not having issues now, leave it.