Dual boot raid 0 and ahci

ONEname

Hello guys/girls,

I have 2 hdds in raid 0 with windows 7 and one ssd where I want to install windows 10.

Is it possible to dual boot raid 0 (2 hdds) and ahci (1 ssd)? Or can I just switch in bios from raid 0 to ahci, depending which os I want to access?

What board and whats the rest of the specs?

Often you have to make a single drive raid volume and use that for boot, but id probably just get rid of your old raid system and use a single drive.

Theoretically you should be able to do it all in RAID mode. The single SSD should still be available on the RAID bus as an installable volume.

Try booting up a 10 installer while in RAID mode and see if Windows shows the SSD as usable.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Well ancient specs:

MOBO: m4n98td evo

CPU: 1055t

RAM: DDR3 Ripjaws 4GB

I would love to have one drive and only 1 windows but hdds are 1TB and ssd is 256GB. So I can transfer all my data. And I don't want to really spend more money just to transfer files. As I don't use pc much other than movies/web.

I installed ssd in a system and I can see it in windows 7 and can open it. If I get what you are trying to say, is that I need to change boot drive from hdds to ssd if I want to switch between os?

Just now, ONEname said:

Well ancient specs:

MOBO: m4n98td evo

CPU: 1055t

RAM: DDR3 Ripjaws 4GB

I would love to have one drive and only 1 windows but hdds are 1TB and ssd is 256GB. So I can transfer all my data. And I don't want to really spend more money just to transfer files. As I don't use pc much other than movies/web.

I installed ssd in a system and I can see it in windows 7 and can open it. If I get what you are trying to say, is that I need to change boot drive from hdds to ssd if I want to switch between os?

Do you have a backup? Id probably restore backups on to a single hdd. And you should really make sure you have a backup before making any major changes like this.

No I don't. I only have these 2 hdds and ssd. If I had more drives, than I would just transfer everything and do a clean install and not bother like this.

You just leave it in RAID, won't hurt anything.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, ONEname said:

No I don't. I only have these 2 hdds and ssd. If I had more drives, than I would just transfer everything and do a clean install and not bother like this.

Thats what Id suggest. Id make sure to have a backup to prevent data loss in case a drive fails or something else causes data loss.

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

You just leave it in RAID, won't hurt anything.

When I get home I will try to leave them in raid and see if I can just switch boot drives.

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats what Id suggest. Id make sure to have a backup to prevent data loss in case a drive fails or something else causes data loss.

Well I know I should have backup. Maybe one day xD.

14 hours ago, ONEname said:

Well I know I should have backup. Maybe one day xD.

Well when people say that that day often becomes "after you've lost everything already" :P 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2