10700k vs 5600x

maka0

Here in Australia there is hardly anything in stock for 5600x ($500) I can however get a i7 10700k ($485) 

Is it worth buying Intel or waiting until stock comes available for AMD or waiting until Intel 11th gen

Will there be a big improvement from 10th gen to 11th gen Intel (I know it's hard to judge with no benchmarks for 11th gen) 

Going AMD will also allow for PCIE gen4 though I really want be utilising the slots (besides a GPU) 

The system will for gaming at 1440p 165hz

6 minutes ago, maka0 said:

Here in Australia there is hardly anything in stock for 5600x ($500) I can however get a i7 10700k ($485) 

Is it worth buying Intel or waiting until stock comes available for AMD or waiting until Intel 11th gen

Will there be a big improvement from 10th gen to 11th gen Intel (I know it's hard to judge with no benchmarks for 11th gen) 

Going AMD will also allow for PCIE gen4 though I really want be utilising the slots (besides a GPU) 

The system will for gaming at 1440p 165hz

It kinda depends. the 5600x should outperform the k in gaming performance, and the motherboard/cooler for it should be significantly cheaper. Obviously it does have more cores and still should be a slightly better workstation cpu, but if you're only gaming I'd probably get a 5600x. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Strictly in terms of gaming performance, they'll be neck in neck at 1440p.

The 10700K will however pull significantly more power, and you'll potentially be looking at spending a little more on the motherboard, so pricing-wise, I wouldn't say the 10700K is better really.

I don't know if I'd consider the lack of PCIe 4.0 a con right now, but it could be an annoyance 1-2 GPU generations from now, when PCIe 4.0 might actually make a difference.

I'd pick the 5600X, though if you can't wait for it to get back in stock, then the 10700K would also work perfectly fine.

9 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

11th gen won't be too great.

What kind of crystal ball have you got, exactly? I might look into one myself.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Strictly in terms of gaming performance, they'll be neck in neck at 1440p.

The 10700K will however pull significantly more power, and you'll potentially be looking at spending a little more on the motherboard, so pricing-wise, I wouldn't say the 10700K is better really.

I don't know if I'd consider the lack of PCIe 4.0 a con right now, but it could be an annoyance 1-2 GPU generations from now, when PCIe 4.0 might actually make a difference.

I'd pick the 5600X, though if you can't wait for it to get back in stock, then the 10700K would also work perfectly fine.

What kind of crystal ball have you got, exactly? I might look into one myself.

Did I say "sucks?"
By "not too great' I mean "won't completely demolish AMD".

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Did I say "sucks?"
By "not too great' I mean "won't completely demolish AMD".

I mean, fair enough. Intel isn't even confident enough to compare what's probably best-case gaming performance on the 11900k to the 5950x.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Neither. 5600X is only 6C/12T and 10700k doesn't have PCIE-4.0. I'd just wait for the 11700k and then buy that to get 8C/16T and PCIE-4.0. If you have to buy today the 10700k and 5600X are neck and neck in gaming. Not sure which I'd value more between the two extra cores of the i7 vs PCIE-4.0 support on the 5600X. 

4 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Neither. 5600X is only 6C/12T and 10700k doesn't have PCIE-4.0. I'd just wait for the 11700k and then buy that to get 8C/16T and PCIE-4.0. If you have to buy today the 10700k and 5600X are neck and neck in gaming. Not sure which I'd value more between the two extra cores of the i7 vs PCIE-4.0 support on the 5600X. 

That's assuming that the 11700k is even going to be hyperthreaded, which could very well not be, and that OP needs the extra cores, which they very well may not.