Some questions about Windows and Resizable BAR

gimmickmusik1

So I have some questions about the process of enabling resizable BAR for when I finally get my hands on a GPU that supports it.

What I (think) I know:

• I know that CSM Legacy boot must be disabled
  • My GPU must support UEFI only boot (as far as I know mine currently doesn't)
  • My drive volume should be using the GPT partition style
  • People say that you must reinstall windows if you are disabling CSM Legacy boot
    • I've actually heard mixed results, but the consensus is to reinstall Windows

What I would like to know:

•  Can I create a system image of Windows and reinstall that instead of a fresh install?
    • IE) Disable CSM Legacy Boot, and then reinstall Windows with the System Image
      • I worry that this will just copy over whatever files I don't want.

1 minute ago, gimmickmusik1 said:

People say that you must reinstall windows if you are disabling CSM Legacy boot

I've switched it on and off and Windows has been fine. As long as you have a GPT drive, it should be fine.

Can I create a system image of Windows and reinstall that instead of a fresh install?

You can reinstall Windows from Recovery Mode, but I think this keeps the same file partition.

Create a bootable USB with the Microsoft-provided tool.

2 minutes ago, gimmickmusik1 said:

So I have some questions about the process of enabling resizable BAR for when I finally get my hands on a GPU that supports it.

What I (think) I know:

• People say that you must reinstall windows if you are disabling CSM Legacy boot

•  Can I create a system image of Windows and reinstall that instead of a fresh install?

Make sure you have a compatible CPU, motherboard, and GPU.

elephants

2 minutes ago, gimmickmusik1 said:

What I (think) I know:

If you're going for a system reinstall, then a system image won't fix the issue. However, you can check if you need to reinstall. Do you see the logo of the motherboard manufacturer only when you start up, or do you also see the Windows logo?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

1 minute ago, Speedbird said:

If you're going for a system reinstall, then a system image won't fix the issue. However, you can check if you need to reinstall. Do you see the logo of the motherboard manufacturer only when you start up, or do you also see the Windows logo?

I'm actually trying to avoid a full system reinstall if I can. I know where everything is in my BIOS. It's just a matter of me not wanting to disable CSM Legacy Boot and then breaking it six ways from Sunday. 

4 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I've switched it on and off and Windows has been fine. As long as you have a GPT drive, it should be fine.

Sweet, I know that my CPU and Mobo are compatible, but I just need to figure out if my GTX 980 can UEFI boot or if I need to wait until I can get my hands on a new GPU.

I'm actually trying to avoid a full system reinstall if I can. I know where everything is in my BIOS. It's just a matter of me not wanting to disable CSM Legacy Boot and then breaking it six ways from Sunday. 

Sweet, I know that my CPU and Mobo are compatible, but I just need to figure out if my GTX 980 can UEFI boot or if I need to wait until I can get my hands on a new GPU.

You can always turn it back on if it doesn't work. The 980 should UEFI boot just fine, my 970 does.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

but I just need to figure out if my GTX 980 can UEFI boot or if I need to wait until I can get my hands on a new GPU.

Well, my GTX 650 Ti Boost can UEFI boot.
If it didn't, I'd have a big problem.

elephants

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Awesome, thanks for the help.

7 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

So I've moved over to having CSM disabled. I've noticed that I'm not getting a POST screen. Is that normal?

Just now, gimmickmusik1 said:

So I've moved over to having CSM disabled. I've noticed that I'm not getting a POST screen. Is that normal?

Does Windows still boot?

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Does Windows still boot?

Yes, I'm mostly just curious about getting back into bios if I want to change something.

Just now, gimmickmusik1 said:

Yes, I'm mostly just curious about getting back into bios if I want to change something.

Just mash the key that gets you to it during boot.

I think I avoided this because my BIOS has a few other things to set up during booting (floppy drive - my BIOS supports floppy booting(?), PCIe add-in card) so I get one either way, though I don't know if that's how it works.

elephants

8 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Just mash the key that gets you to it during boot.

I think I avoided this because my BIOS has a few other things to set up during booting (floppy drive - my BIOS supports floppy booting(?), PCIe add-in card) so I get one either way, though I don't know if that's how it works.

So a bit of an interesting update. If I unplug my display port monitor from the back of my GPU, and only leave the HDMI monitor plugged in, it displays the post screen. 

So a bit of an interesting update. If I unplug my display port monitor from the back of my GPU, and only leave the HDMI monitor plugged in, it displays the post screen. 

Well, the only DisplayPort thing I own is a cable. I run my monitors off of HDMI (used to do HDMI/DVI, but put in a second GPU and am running one off of each now).

elephants