Upgrade on a budget

Mymusz

Budget (including currency): arround 500 £

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: possibly new games and some old ones on ultra (example, The Division 1/2), also FPS online games, stable fps required.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Current setup:

-CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 3600 (not overclocked)

-GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro+ 8Gb ddr5 (not overclocked)

-MOBO: MSI MPG x570 gaming plus

-RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ with XMP 2.0 profile enabled

-SSD: Corsair MP510 NVMe PCIe gen 3x4 M.2 480gb

-Cooling system: AIO on CPU, Arctic Freezer II (1 fan)

-Case: Mid Tower Corsair with side glass panel and 2 fans included

-Monitor: Samsung C32F391 27" with maximum 72hz of refresh rate (freesync/gsync compatible)

-PSU: Seasonic 550W 80+ gold

Not sure what I am looking for to get best results from my current PC. Sometimes I feel like I need more power to play on ultra settings, its not 100% comfortable. I can play many games on high setting with vsync enabled (which helps a lot with stuttering) but to be 100% happy I need to upgrade something. I will probably never play in 4k or very high resolutions, but I will look for a monitor in future, 120 - 144hz  34".

I was thinking of:

-adding extra RAM memory 2x8gb

-maybe not too expensive GPU, but much better than what I have already

Thanks in advance.

You have plenty of ram. Gpu isn't an option right now as you simply need to wait. Nothing is in stock and what is is so massively overpriced. Also what psu do you have?

With a 1080p monitor? I don't see any point in upgrading this generation. 1440p 120-144hz, just buy a 3060 ti. Whenever it's back in stock, that is.

Och, sorry. Have forgotten about PSU. My post was edited now, its last on the list ;)

Hmm, yes I saw all these prices for gpu going crazy...

3060 ti sounds powerful and I am not sure my PSU can handle this. I tried to get best I could on budget

27 minutes ago, Mymusz said:

3060 ti sounds powerful and I am not sure my PSU can handle this.

it can. even the 3070 works with your psu.

34 minutes ago, Mymusz said:

Budget (including currency): arround 500 £

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: possibly new games and some old ones on ultra (example, The Division 1/2), also FPS online games, stable fps required.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Current setup:

-CPU: Amd Ryzen 5 3600 (not overclocked)

-GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro+ 8Gb ddr5 (not overclocked)

-MOBO: MSI MPG x570 gaming plus

-RAM: 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ with XMP 2.0 profile enabled

-SSD: Corsair MP510 NVMe PCIe gen 3x4 M.2 480gb

-Cooling system: AIO on CPU, Arctic Freezer II (1 fan)

-Case: Mid Tower Corsair with side glass panel and 2 fans included

-Monitor: Samsung C32F391 27" with maximum 72hz of refresh rate (freesync/gsync compatible)

-PSU: Seasonic 550W 80+ gold

Not sure what I am looking for to get best results from my current PC. Sometimes I feel like I need more power to play on ultra settings, its not 100% comfortable. I can play many games on high setting with vsync enabled (which helps a lot with stuttering) but to be 100% happy I need to upgrade something. I will probably never play in 4k or very high resolutions, but I will look for a monitor in future, 120 - 144hz  34".

I was thinking of:

-adding extra RAM memory 2x8gb

-maybe not too expensive GPU, but much better than what I have already

Thanks in advance.

Think waiting for a 3060ti would be prefect for you. 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, myb54 said:
PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
Video Card MSI GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card $350.00
Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $114.67 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $464.67
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-15 07:55 EST-0500  

get the gpu when the prices become normal

When the pricing becomes normal the 3060ti will be 400 - 440. Also he doesn't need a PSU upgrade. 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

1 minute ago, Downkey said:

When the pricing becomes normal the 3060ti will be 400 - 440. Also he doesn't need a PSU upgrade. 

i suggested the psu to be safe

The main areas I see you needing an upgrade at, a GPU (wait on that as crypto has drained the market), I don't know your display but it probably needs an upgrade, and for extra credit a CPU many games lately have started taking advantage of 6 and 8 cores, while they still primarily eat 4 and 6 it is best to upgrade to give your OS and other programs some breathing room, but this can wait. Otherwise at this time unless you are doing intensive productivity workloads, or browsing the internet with as many tabs as I have you do not need anymore RAM.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

1 minute ago, myb54 said:

i suggested the psu to be safe

Well a 3060ti doesn't need more than 500W. And, he has a decent PSU already that's 550W. It's really a waste of money to spend $120 for an extra 100W.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Thanks guys for advice :) Once prices go back to normal, I will take GPU you suggested. 400$ is not that bad actually. So problem sorted :)

I have one more question. I need another SSD drive for files like games and system copy just in case, but I dont know how it works. Can I just buy it (sata ssd), put it inside my rig. connect and it will work or I need to make clean windows install?

On 1/15/2021 at 8:16 AM, Mymusz said:

Thanks guys for advice :) Once prices go back to normal, I will take GPU you suggested. 400$ is not that bad actually. So problem sorted :)

I have one more question. I need another SSD drive for files like games and system copy just in case, but I dont know how it works. Can I just buy it (sata ssd), put it inside my rig. connect and it will work or I need to make clean windows install?

If you wan to run windows off of it you are going to need to reinstall. Otherwise if you would like to use the SSD as a scratch drive don't worry about it.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Just like additional drive for extra space, I have my windows on my main SSD. Thanks for answer 😉

Refresh;

Looks like its nearly impossible to get msi rtx 3060ti trio now. I am hunting for stock to pre order that GPU..

Is there any alternative for this one? 3060ti originally is for about 450 but I think I can jump up to 550.