what education do i need to write softwares like youtube-dl?

Orian Pax

i want to make my own youtube-dl like software (no not to sell just my own project on git)
what do i have to learn to that? (zero knowledge of coding here)
(an undergrad here soon joining computer engineering course)

1 minute ago, comander said:

Coursera - Intro to python. Also freecodecamp

Also stack overflow. 

And time. And energy. Just keep at it. 

is that it or there's more?

You'll probably want to learn about the web and networking. 

How is a file transferred over the web and how do you save it? 

20 hours ago, DriftMan said:

Learn a bit of whatever language you wanna learn

now this is interesting to me (bcuz i have nearly zero knowledge about this stuff).
why did you say 'bit of'? (curious to know even if it goes beyond the scope of this topic)

now i am getting questions like who made these languages? and why are there that many? do they some advantages over one another? is there a book that answers questions like this?

do u have any books recommendations or any other recommendations? that would very helpful.
@DriftMan

11 hours ago, fpo said:

You'll probably want to learn about the web and networking. 

How is a file transferred over the web and how do you save it? 

i see. @fpo

1 hour ago, DriftMan said:

because you literally can't learn everything you need to know prior the project, so as long as you know "a bit of" a.k.a. the basics of programming plus the basics of the language you want to learn (I suggest JavaScript/TypeScript plus Python, those are two easy languages and they are very powerful so you can do almost everything with them, specially JavaScript)

Once you know the basics, you'll know how to search for the things you wanna do "How do I import external APIs in Python" or "How do I sort arrays in JavaScript"

Anyone can create their own language, but because it's really really hard to do and at the very beginning there isn't much difference between creating your own and using any other (usually the new languages are created to fix an issue from other language, look at Kotlin and Java)

each language has its own advantages over others, like compilation times, or ease of writing, or compatibility between platforms

object oriented vs functional programming vs procedural...

implementations of data structures

even fashion

maybe you just need a program to schedule a reboot on your system every day at 8AM, well then just create a script with a scripting language for it instead of a whole compiled program which is bigger and more complex

StackOverflow is popular for noob (and not so noob) questions, just use the search bar

Or take a look at some youtubers like

I'm not going to tell you which one to watch because that's personal, and you should discard channels by yourself, so take a look at Udemy, Youtube and StackOverflow to learn more about it, it's complex and it requires months to start coding fluently, and years to start doing everything by your own and to develop a skill set for overall programming

But it's fun, if it wasn't then there wouldn't be so many coders out there

Oh and you could start developing simple games with Unity too, there are millions of videos and tutorials for it

Thanks for this reply, this is the kind of people and answers/replies I need right now. I salute thee. 

There are videos on freecodecamp whole YouTube channel titled this this language in 6 or 11 hours 

What does that mean? (Does that mean one they cover everything in that time period?)

What is true/real meaning of this kind of videos are they legit?

I want to know what do u think about it?

(I am presuming u know how to code)

4 hours ago, comander said:

That's mostly it. Get intro stuff and then just start doing things. 

Is language divided in parts (not literally but by people) to understand/learn it?

If so could u tell ur favourite language's noob,normal/mid,pro parts?

1 hour ago, valdyrgramr said:

1.  C++ for multiplat/OO best language imo, but not really needed in this case.

2.  VB if you're more into OO simple SW development.  Typically used to make SW for Windows via VSE.

3. Python for a lot of things.

4. Java if you want a lot of headaches, but to be fair you can run into a lot with other languages too.  But, for your sanity avoid Eclipse if you want to use Java.

Scripting, like Javascript is also useful in this sense.

C# is another.

Amazon has free books, there's websites, and even yt videos as mentioned.

now this s the stuff i was talking about!

1 hour ago, DriftMan said:

It usually means that with that video, you could start solving coding problems. They start from what that language does, why it is good, why should you learn and what to expect from it, then they will explain (in some videos) what IDE or coding environment to use (you can use the one you prefer or feel more comfortable). Shows how to create a class, a function, a variable, the program structure, the data structures... It covers almost everything you need to know to efficiently code.

This video might be a bit hard to understand, some concepts are learnt in computer science like big-o notation which means the complexity or the time it takes for an algorithm to run, I suggest you to start with something like this:

It's a bit slow but to get into coding looks pretty okay, I learnt how to code in University so I haven't learnt through videos (I check some of them for fun or to try learn something new)

This is a youtube-dl repo (a repository is a "folder" with all the files needed to run a project, you can download it and run it, you can fork it or copy it and implement your own changes, you can even see what issues the author has with the code and help him/her solve it), it's written in Python so learning Python is perfect if you wanna start doing those projects

Some people will tell you "before starting to code you should switch to Linux" that's completely bullshit, so whatever operating system you have, you'll be extremely fine to start coding

Just focus on learning how to solve coding problems, like the ones in LeetCode so you can learn faster data structures and learn how to make more efficient code

oh my god this is like "the" mountain of knowledge i was looking for so long!!!
thank you very much!

and thank you for suggestions. (why didn't i meet you before?!!)