Best way to fix cracked plastic on laptop case around one of the hinges?

A few weeks ago my dog jumped up on to my bed while we were play fighting and while bouncing like a lunatic she knocked my laptop off the bed on to the floor, it was actually closed at the time  however it landed pretty hard on its side and when I picked it up I noticed that some plastic was broke around the USB port, I can hear broken plastic rattling around inside the case  but most worryingly there's a crack on the top face, just above the keyboard right next to the hinge. It started off tiny and I really wasn't worried however over the last few weeks its gotten bigger to the point that when you open the lid you can feel the hinge moving on the Z axis. I think that every time I open the lid its putting stress on the Z axis and making the crack worse and now I'm worried its going to break entirely (it already feels like one of the screws holding the bottom on is coming loose).

I was going to take it apart to remove the plastic that's rattling around inside the case but now I'm worried that, as soon as I unscrew this corner its just going to fall apart and be impossible to reassemble.

Anyone got any tips?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Pictures would help, but I'll start by suggesting JB Weld.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

31 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Pictures would help, but I'll start by suggesting JB Weld.

that or some kind of transparent epoxy glue. but again a picture would be nice.  

45 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

A few weeks ago my dog jumped up on to my bed while we were play fighting and while bouncing like a lunatic she knocked my laptop off the bed on to the floor, it was actually closed at the time  however it landed pretty hard on its side and when I picked it up I noticed that some plastic was broke around the USB port, I can hear broken plastic rattling around inside the case  but most worryingly there's a crack on the top face, just above the keyboard right next to the hinge. It started off tiny and I really wasn't worried however over the last few weeks its gotten bigger to the point that when you open the lid you can feel the hinge moving on the Z axis. I think that every time I open the lid its putting stress on the Z axis and making the crack worse and now I'm worried its going to break entirely (it already feels like one of the screws holding the bottom on is coming loose).

I was going to take it apart to remove the plastic that's rattling around inside the case but now I'm worried that, as soon as I unscrew this corner its just going to fall apart and be impossible to reassemble.

Anyone got any tips?

Yes you can glue it and it will probably last a while but since the crack is at a stress point the crack will open again eventually. Maybe you can find the whole plastic panel and replace it

Untitled.thumb.png.14622c077fdf56e58b847b9321fda1ba.png

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Anybody ever heard of superglue & bi carb? Apparently you can use it to rebuild broken plastic to almost as good as new though you have to sand it and paint it afterwards.

if you can find a disassembly guide on youtube and take the thing apart you're best trying to glue it from the back.

Use some really strong super glue and cut a strip of thin plastic off something like an old credit card, guitar pick etc. that's not going to interfere with anything inside.

Hold the crack together with your fingers as you glue the strip of plastic onto the rear of the crack, inside the case. Hold it for at least a minute, or as long as you can manage. You're essentially stitching it together from behind with plastic like you'd put paper stitches on a cut.

That should hold the crack together.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Untitled.thumb.png.14622c077fdf56e58b847b9321fda1ba.png

The button right in the middle of the crack makes it more difficult now :(

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Anybody ever heard of superglue & bi carb? Apparently you can use it to rebuild broken plastic to almost as good as new though you have to sand it and paint it afterwards.

bi/carb or baking soda acts as an accelerator to dry the superglue instantly. Does not add strength to the end result

10 minutes ago, Shabba said:

if you can find a disassembly guide on youtube and take the thing apart you're best trying to glue it from the back.

Use some really strong super glue and cut a strip of thin plastic off something like an old credit card, guitar pick etc. that's not going to interfere with anything inside.

Hold the crack together with your fingers as you glue the strip of plastic onto the rear of the crack, inside the case. Hold it for at least a minute, or as long as you can manage. You're essentially stitching it together from behind with plastic like you'd put paper stitches on a cut.

That should hold the crack together.

I genuinely think its at the point where, as soon as I undo the screw underneath the crack the entire piece (including the power button) is going to come away and I'm not going to be able to glue it back together. I'm also suspecting some of the plastic I can hear is actually the screw hole that's disintegrating as the screw is being pulled out.

Its my fault, I've been putting fixing it off for 2 weeks and now I think its gone too far to fix :(

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I genuinely think its at the point where, as soon as I undo the screw underneath the crack the entire piece (including the power button) is going to come away and I'm not going to be able to glue it back together. I'm also suspecting some of the plastic I can hear is actually the screw hole that's disintegrating as the screw is being pulled out.

Its my fault, I've been putting fixing off for 2 weeks and now I think its gone too far to fix :(

don't give up. All you can do is try but repair from behind is better for aesthetic reasons if nothing else

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Anyone got any tips?

You need to approach this like some people do bumper repair. Glue it and add hot staples,  that you will of course cut and glue over at the back so they don't sort anything.

Also in bumper repairs to stop cracks from expanding you drill a small hole at the end of the  crack fill it with glue sand it paint it.

You don't actually need to buy the whole kit the photo is just an idea of what you need to do, you can DIY it.

51i41t2A3iL._AC_SY355_.jpg

if you are not comfortable using heat, then any clear super glue and paper will work great for that... you basically reinforce the area with a strip of paper than you then soak with glue and then you sand it clean... with this method, you are basically building a very thin layer of reinforcement that will hold that crack together for a good amount of time... (unless that crack is on an area where flexing and movement is inevitable)

I've personally used this method to repair a lot of broken plastic over the years and it works great... super glue holds really well together unless the area is exposed to regular stress...

you can also replace super glue with any kind of clear epoxy which is an even stronger bond because it's not as brittle when it cures unlike super glue...

6 minutes ago, YoMz said:

if you are not comfortable using heat, then any clear super glue and paper will work great for that... you basically reinforce the area with a strip of paper than you then soak with glue and then you sand it clean... with this method, you are basically building a very thin layer of reinforcement that will hold that crack together for a good amount of time... (unless that crack is on an area where flexing and movement is inevitable)

I've personally used this method to repair a lot of broken plastic over the years and it works great... super glue holds really well together unless the area is exposed to regular stress...

you can also replace super glue with any kind of clear epoxy which is an even stronger bond because it's not as brittle when it cures unlike super glue...

Sadly its a stress area, its near the hinge

8 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Sadly its a stress area, its near the hinge

you need to follow the staples and heat fix posted above my reply then... that would probably be the best choice for you... I've mostly repaired models and plastic figures with my method so I don't think it would work if it's exposed in stress areas...

Cheers everyone, it turns out HP have an official spares dealer here in the UK and I can order an entire new piece. Hopefully it will last another week until I can order one.

9 hours ago, ACEHACK said:

that or some kind of transparent epoxy glue. but again a picture would be nice.  

You mean like....JBWeld? ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red