More US-China Tradewar Company Restrictions Including Xiaomi

CarlBar

Summary

Another round of companies have had restrictions placed on them including for the techies amongst us mobile phone manufacturer Xiaomi

Quotes

His latest round of restrictions announced on Thursday affect, among others, China's oil giant CNOOC and Xiaomi, which in November surpassed Apple to become the world's third-biggest smartphone manufacturer.

My thoughts

Well That Escalated Quickly :p. No to be more serious i don't have a clue what to make of this because with the way the US is at the minute there's no way to tell if these will even stick around very long. So in the short term i don't know what to make of it besides silly meming. Long term if it does stick and they can't get the necessary permits it's going to flatten another major player in the smartphone market. That can't be good for competition. As for the rst of the companies. Well the BBC only lists the two in the quote but i imagine non-tech fields are going to notice this too if it sticks.

If anyone has some additional reputable sources and a fuller list of affected companies and what they do, feel free to post and i'll add it to this once i notice said post.

Sources

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55671629

I am not sure if Xiaomi had a big enough market in US to be significantly impacted. Their main market is developing countries and Europe.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Well if Xiaomi can't use android anymore that is going to be annoying, the last video from Linus unboxing the Xiaomi 11 looked good.

I've updated my assumption: I think Chinese Intelligence must have somehow gotten lewds of half of DC. It's about the only reason I can work out for the iron-clad agreement in DC about action against Chinese tech.

40 minutes ago, Levent said:

I am not sure if Xiaomi had a big enough market in US to be significantly impacted. Their main market is developing countries and Europe.

The issue is they won't be able to use android or snapdragon processors. Same situation Hauwei is in.

It'll be interesting to see how the new leadership goes when it comes to trading. I doubt the military's view on things will have changed.

I get why they're banning CNOOC, as well as the aerospace company they added to the list. Xiaomi seems to be more of a US company interests move. AFAIK they don't make any network infrastructure.

9 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I've updated my assumption: I think Chinese Intelligence must have somehow gotten lewds of half of DC. It's about the only reason I can work out for the iron-clad agreement in DC about action against Chinese tech.

I don't get your assumption; they'd want the opposite, no?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Clicked link in OP and saw the actual news story title "Trump takes final swipes at China's big companies". Hard to say more without degrading into politics but suffice to say I hope the world can move forward soon.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

35 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

The issue is they won't be able to use android or snapdragon processors. Same situation Hauwei is in.

Not the same thing.

To be clear, this is not the same list to which Trump added Huawei’s name in 2019. That list is related to firms that have supposed ties to the Chinese government directly and forbids US-based firms from working with them

https://www.androidauthority.com/xiaomi-blacklist-1193186/

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 hours ago, CarlBar said:

with the way the US is at the minute there's no way to tell if these will even stick around very long

likely come down to what is due to intelegence sources vs what is due to the current administrations personal biases/interests.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

24 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

At this point China might as well do a complete ban on Apple, to show its had enough of this nonsense.

This is a trade war and not just nonsense. This game has been going on for a long time and escalating the last couple of years.

We should not forget that China is already and has always been severely limiting foreign companies in its country.

8 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Would be nice if the US could do the same.

That's what is starting to happen now.

US needs to fuck off and the rest of the world MUST produce their own tech, a single country cannot hold monopoly over all chip manufacturing, all software/hardware patents and all internet hold hostage.

3 minutes ago, yian88 said:

US needs to fuck off and the rest of the world MUST produce their own tech, a single country cannot hold monopoly over all chip manufacturing, all software/hardware patents and all internet hold hostage.

There are russian CPUs and chinese CPUs - why aren't you promoting them? 

Because they suck?

Never mind that I'm talking about desktop CPUs this time.

I edit my posts more often than not

4 hours ago, dizmo said:

It'll be interesting to see how the new leadership goes when it comes to trading. I doubt the military's view on things will have changed.

I get why they're banning CNOOC, as well as the aerospace company they added to the list. Xiaomi seems to be more of a US company interests move. AFAIK they don't make any network infrastructure.

I don't get your assumption; they'd want the opposite, no?

DC couldn't agree the Sky is Blue, but they all agree on hitting Chinese Tech companies. It's been something I've been mentioning since the Huawei stuff first got started, and it's really hard to impress upon non-Americans that the agreement in DC on the topic is startling. But the other problem is that the "official" reasoning and the "blatantly obvious there is more going on" reasoning are pretty far apart. As a result, no one is really sure what's caused it.

The best information I've seen puts the change in approach as a result of analysis of the OPM Hack of 2015. A lot of discussion about Chinese Tech started changing in 2016, so it really didn't matter who won that election. Basically, what we're seeing would be the same set of policies. Of of the Congressmen that have talked about it, the most fervent have been the ones with the highest levels of clearance. China did something extremely damaging but also in a space that's at the highest levels of classification. As a result, we're only left to speculate what actually happened. Why I've updated my guess to having lewds on most of DC. (It's obviously some form of deep infrastructure penetration, probably in military tech more than anything else, but the Lews Hypothesis is just as valid. lol)

10 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

DC couldn't agree the Sky is Blue, but they all agree on hitting Chinese Tech companies. It's been something I've been mentioning since the Huawei stuff first got started, and it's really hard to impress upon non-Americans that the agreement in DC on the topic is startling. But the other problem is that the "official" reasoning and the "blatantly obvious there is more going on" reasoning are pretty far apart. As a result, no one is really sure what's caused it.

The best information I've seen puts the change in approach as a result of analysis of the OPM Hack of 2015. A lot of discussion about Chinese Tech started changing in 2016, so it really didn't matter who won that election. Basically, what we're seeing would be the same set of policies. Of of the Congressmen that have talked about it, the most fervent have been the ones with the highest levels of clearance. China did something extremely damaging but also in a space that's at the highest levels of classification. As a result, we're only left to speculate what actually happened. Why I've updated my guess to having lewds on most of DC. (It's obviously some form of deep infrastructure penetration, probably in military tech more than anything else, but the Lews Hypothesis is just as valid. lol)

I could speculate but we'd be going fairly far off-topic. But nothing i can think of is good.

40 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

I could speculate but we'd be going fairly far off-topic. But nothing i can think of is good.

Right. And the China stuff truly is into meme territory. 

16 hours ago, porina said:

Clicked link in OP and saw the actual news story title "Trump takes final swipes at China's big companies". Hard to say more without degrading into politics but suffice to say I hope the world can move forward soon.

5 more days my friend. Then the world can *crossed fingers* hopefully *uncross* move on.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

15 hours ago, huilun02 said:

At this point China might as well do a complete ban on Apple, to show its had enough of this nonsense.

They will probably do that anyways. China could close itself off from the rest of the world and still thrive internally. China doesn't need the world, but the world needs China. This is cultural problem with the West, and no single US president can change that. It all starts with YOU, the consumer. Want cheap, then you empower nations like China. It's really fundamentally that simple.

13 hours ago, yian88 said:

You do realise that most of the chip manufacturing isn't in the us?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

You do realise that most of the chip manufacturing isn't in the us?

**China eyeballing Taiwan**

Well, that's one way for China to acquire chip fabrication.

10 minutes ago, StDragon said:

**China eyeballing Taiwan**

Well, that's one way for China to acquire chip fabrication.

They can eyeball it all they want. They wont do shit. Invading Taiwan would be like invading South Korea or Japan. The US would step in. Now eyeballing employees at TSMC would be permitted. Which is what China has been doing. 

13 hours ago, yian88 said:

Firstly. We dont produce chips and stuff in the US. Yes, American companies hold the patents on a lot of stuff (Its not like china gave a shit about patents anyway). Thats the worlds fucking problem not ours. No one has to use US designed CPU's, no one has to use Android. Countries are free to develop what ever tech they want. Its not our fault they rely on tech that is developed and patented in the US, thats the worlds problem for not being able to do it themselves. 

For the record China has been poaching TSMC employees in attempts to design and build their own CPU's. I believe Russia has also done the same. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

**US examining the possibility of towing Taiwan across the pacific**

Mumble mumble...EMP...mumble mumble, building new fabs to meet demand...mumble mumble...chip stock valuation.

Rules of Acquisition

#34: War is good for business

#35: Peace is good for business

23 hours ago, CarlBar said:

Android is open source, so they can use android. Just not google services

So uh, at this rate, what about all the other Chinese companies? 

Lenovo and BBK especially. 

It'll be interesting to see how the incoming new administration goes about it. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1