Please help me putting pressure on Lenovo.

Mid summer 2020 I bought myself a shiny Lenovo Ideapad 5 14 with the Ryzen 4800u. Late November it stopped charging, so I contacted Lenovo Support to arrange a repair. Well, after a week of going back and forth and escalating my case I finally talked Lenovo into arranging a repair. On the 3rd of December 2020 the laptop arrived at their repair facility. Lenovo Support on the phone promised me a 10 business day turnaround, which I found good enough for me, considering it is my only computer and I need it for the University and for my job. Low and behold the repair didn't happen in 10 business days. Not even close! After 13 days I contacted Lenovo Support on WhatsApp and asked about promised 10 day turnaround, and they responded with typical "we don't have the part, wait". They couldn't even tell me how long I should wait for! Christmas passed, new years passed and I was still getting a response from Lenovo Support as "wait" until one of a sudden on the 4th of January 2021 I suddenly got a response "your device is ready and will be shipped within the next 24 hours", which I was very happy to finally have my laptop back. Well, as it seemingly always is with Lenovo my laptop wasn't sent to me during the next 24h. So I contacted LenovoSupport again only for me to receive an answer "yeah, sorry we had technical difficulties" hell yeah Lenovo you have them not being able to provide any customer support. But I was promised by Lenovo Support that my laptop would be sent to me until Friday the same week as you could already guess - Lenovo didn't manage to send my laptop back by Friday that week. So I contacted Lenovo Support again multiple times only for them to tell me that they are working on it and have no idea when I will get my laptop back. Until one day  on the 12th of January 2021 after talking to Lenovo Support again I was told that my laptop would be sent to me Monday or Tuesday (so 11th or 12th) Lenovo would finally send me back my laptop incredibly - Lenovo Support didn't lie to me this one time and Lenovo really did send me back my laptop. BUT! I received it 1.5 months later only to find out that Lenovo DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WITH THE LAPTOP! The laptop wouldn't power on upon receiving, so I opened it only to find out that great Lenovo technican couldn't be bothered (or forgot) to connect the battery! After me plugging it back in I see that the laptop STILL ISN'T CHARGING

So after spending 1.5 months instead of promised 10 business days Lenovo HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING WITH THE LAPTOP except for a great LenovoSupport technican unplugging the battery and shipping it to me like that! (I wasn't told by anyone that it's for safety or anything). I have exams right now (of which I already failed one because I didn't have anything to study but my phone) and I have a big threat of loosing my job, because I can't work without the laptop. I can't afford to send the laptop to Lenovo again to potentially wait another 2 months for it to lay there and come back unrepaired (the Lenovo technican also didn't manage to put the screws in the proper holes, so he put the long screw in a short hole leaving the screw halfway sticking out and short screw in a long hole). Please, if you are ever considering buying a Lenovo product - forget about it. Just got the love of God (or whoever you believe in), don't do it. Just don't. Your cheapest laptop from AliExpress will have better customer support and experience than what you will get with Lenovo. Save yourself from that and get a device from literally any other brand. Such behavior should not be tolerated, so help me bringing Lenovo to justice! Thank you all very much in advance, I am very sorry for bothering you and potentially ruining your good day with my negative story and attitude. Stay safe out there!

P.S. all my communications with Lenovo can be found under (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1i3TmL48YaYX6d6XGFzMZbknIdkFj2kDG) they are in German, because I live in Germany.

Edited by 6Foot3Alex
Corrected the date

34 minutes ago, 6Foot3Alex said:

Nothing you do will change their behavior. This is the new standard for how system integrators treat customers, and it doesnt look like itll be going away anytime soon. Consider seeking independent repair, theyll do a better job and in a much shorter time. Just know it will void your warranty, not that it sounds like your warranty was much use anyways.

Daily Driver (Lenovo Y700 Laptop)

Manjaro Linux  ||||  Intel Core i7-6700HQ  ||||  16GB DDR4-2666    ||||   GeForce GTX 960m  

250GB Samsung 970 Evo | 500GB Samung 840 Evo 

Windows Gaming PC

Windows 10 Pro  |||   Intel Core i7-10700k  |||   32GB DDR4-3600  |||   GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER  |||   MSI z490 A-Pro  |||   EVGA Supernova G2 650w 80+ Gold

120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM

Bedroom HTPC and Emulation Box

Manjaro Linux  ||||   Intel Xeon E3-1231v3  ||||   8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon RX 460   |||  Asus B85M-G

120GB SSD

Living Room HTPC - Optiplex 790 SFF

Manjaro Linux  |||  Intel Core i5-2400  |||  8GB DDR3-1333  |||  Radeon HD 5450

120GB SSD

3 minutes ago, starry said:

Nothing you do will change their behavior. This is the new standard for how system integrators treat customers. Consider seeking independent repair, theyll do a better job and in a much shorter time. Just know it will void your warranty, not that it sounds like your warranty was much use anyways.

I am still not loosing hope of my story getting enough traction with your help that Lenovo will at least somewhat change their behaviour and help me in particular solving the issue I have, as well as making the whole experience better for everyone else

1 minute ago, 6Foot3Alex said:

I am still not loosing hope of my story getting enough traction with your help that Lenovo will at least somewhat change their behaviour and help me in particular solving the issue I have, as well as making the whole experience better for everyone else

File a charge back and then see how fast they fix your laptop

Please tag me @RTX 3090 so I can see your reply

1 minute ago, RTX 3090 said:

File a charge back and then see how fast they fix your laptop

Can I still file a charge back 5 months after the purchase?

6 minutes ago, 6Foot3Alex said:

Can I still file a charge back 5 months after the purchase?

Should be able to, contact your bank, they might be able to sort something out. 

Just advice for future, buy stuff like that from Amazon, they will just send you a new device straight away without any BS

Just now, RTX 3090 said:

Just advice for future, buy stuff like that from Amazon, they will just send you a new device straight away without any BS

Yeah, the problem was that I bought it from lenovo directly, because no place had a 4800u for sale. It sadly was my only option:(

2 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

call up Hydraulic Press Channel.

Lmao. Not sure if I can say this here, but I'd love to some some of their technicans being pressed by them in the vid. He definitely deserves it

With documentation at hand, you have a strong case for compensation in Court. Remember, in Germany you have a minimum of 12 months warranty, so the Law sees your device as defective by purchase date. Talk to a friendly lawyer nearby, they'll be able to help you out, after you get a local repair shop to fix the issue.

As a side-note (-ish), forget getting any "famous" tech-YT-ers to take up your individual case. Not gonna happen, as if they do that, they'll get flooded with petty cases from bored teens-with-a-grunt from all over the place. Cases like "if you're not gonna give me a 99% discount on this 10k ballistic wicked gaming rig I'ma gonna set the LTT guys against you" 🙄 Useless. Not gonna happen.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

7 hours ago, RTX 3090 said:

I just remembered I bought it with PayPal. Do you know if I can still file a charge back complaint? @rtx3090 

9 hours ago, starry said:

Nothing you do will change their behavior. This is the new standard for how system integrators treat customers, and it doesnt look like itll be going away anytime soon. Consider seeking independent repair, theyll do a better job and in a much shorter time. Just know it will void your warranty, not that it sounds like your warranty was much use anyways.

Depends on the manufacturer. HP has local repair centers that you can physically go to. I can take my MacBook to any Apple store and have it fixed in a few days, etc.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

55 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Depends on the manufacturer. HP has local repair centers that you can physically go to. I can take my MacBook to any Apple store and have it fixed in a few days, etc.

I don't think Lenovo has any in Germany. And other manufacturers that have those facilities - they just take the device from you and ship it to a central depot for repairs more difficult than changing thermal paste. I do really regret ditching Dell and Apple that I used before for that piece of shit Lenovo

2 hours ago, 6Foot3Alex said:

I just remembered I bought it with PayPal. Do you know if I can still file a charge back complaint? @rtx3090 

Yes, you will get your money back, but with PayPal's policy you may have to pay for the postage back to them with your own pocket. But if you open a case it may put pressure on them to solve it quickly. Also if Lenovo says to close the case then they will fix it for you; do not fall for it as once a case is closed you can't open a new one

15 hours ago, 6Foot3Alex said:

P.S. all my communications with Lenovo can be found under (https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1i3TmL48YaYX6d6XGFzMZbknIdkFj2kDG) they are in German, because I live in Germany.

Contact your local consumer protection officials. They will be in much more help than random people in the internet. Because only thing we can do is not to buy from Lenovo, and the amount of people you might have reached with this rant is very low to have any effect. Whereas your consumer protection agency will get things done quicker.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Good thing my hardware supplier deals with all this crap for me,

I bought a laptop,but there was no battery in it,my supplier took care of it.

My supplier deal with things like that all the time.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

,but there was no battery in it,

wait what! 

No battery ? Did someone steal the battery and return it to something ?

How do they just forget a battery out in the factory

13 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

wait what! 

No battery ?

Yep,it happened.

14 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

Did someone steal the battery and return it to something ?

It was sealed,brand new.

15 minutes ago, RTX 3090 said:

How do they just forget a battery out in the factory

Mistakes happen,though it's a weird one

They replaced the laptop with a new one,in a box,sealed and everything,

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Mistakes happen,though it's a weird one

Don't they normally test them before shipping

On 1/14/2021 at 5:56 PM, 6Foot3Alex said:

After me plugging it back in I see that the laptop STILL ISN'T CHARGING

Did you try another charger?

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

On 1/14/2021 at 5:56 PM, 6Foot3Alex said:

Mid summer 2020 I bought myself a shiny Lenovo Ideapad 5 14 with the Ryzen 4800u. Late November it stopped charging, so I contacted Lenovo Support to arrange a repair. Well, after a week of going back and forth and escalating my case I finally talked Lenovo into arranging a repair. On the 3rd of December 2020 the laptop arrived at their repair facility. Lenovo Support on the phone promised me a 10 business day turnaround, which I found good enough for me, considering it is my only computer and I need it for the University and for my job. Low and behold the repair didn't happen in 10 business days. Not even close! After 13 days I contacted Lenovo Support on WhatsApp and asked about promised 10 day turnaround, and they responded with typical "we don't have the part, wait". They couldn't even tell me how long I should wait for! Christmas passed, new years passed and I was still getting a response from Lenovo Support as "wait" until one of a sudden on the 4th of January 2021 I suddenly got a response "your device is ready and will be shipped within the next 24 hours", which I was very happy to finally have my laptop back. Well, as it seemingly always is with Lenovo my laptop wasn't sent to me during the next 24h. So I contacted LenovoSupport again only for me to receive an answer "yeah, sorry we had technical difficulties" hell yeah Lenovo you have them not being able to provide any customer support. But I was promised by Lenovo Support that my laptop would be sent to me until Friday the same week as you could already guess - Lenovo didn't manage to send my laptop back by Friday that week. So I contacted Lenovo Support again multiple times only for them to tell me that they are working on it and have no idea when I will get my laptop back. Until one day  on the 12th of January 2021 after talking to Lenovo Support again I was told that my laptop would be sent to me Monday or Tuesday (so 11th or 12th) Lenovo would finally send me back my laptop incredibly - Lenovo Support didn't lie to me this one time and Lenovo really did send me back my laptop. BUT! I received it 1.5 months later only to find out that Lenovo DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WITH THE LAPTOP! The laptop wouldn't power on upon receiving, so I opened it only to find out that great Lenovo technican couldn't be bothered (or forgot) to connect the battery! After me plugging it back in I see that the laptop STILL ISN'T CHARGING

So after spending 1.5 months instead of promised 10 business days Lenovo HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING WITH THE LAPTOP except for a great LenovoSupport technican unplugging the battery and shipping it to me like that! (I wasn't told by anyone that it's for safety or anything). I have exams right now (of which I already failed one because I didn't have anything to study but my phone) and I have a big threat of loosing my job, because I can't work without the laptop. I can't afford to send the laptop to Lenovo again to potentially wait another 2 months for it to lay there and come back unrepaired (the Lenovo technican also didn't manage to put the screws in the proper holes, so he put the long screw in a short hole leaving the screw halfway sticking out and short screw in a long hole). Please, if you are ever considering buying a Lenovo product - forget about it. Just got the love of God (or whoever you believe in), don't do it. Just don't. Your cheapest laptop from AliExpress will have better customer support and experience than what you will get with Lenovo. Save yourself from that and get a device from literally any other brand. Such behavior should not be tolerated, so help me bringing Lenovo to justice! Thank you all very much in advance, I am very sorry for bothering you and potentially ruining your good day with my negative story and attitude. Stay safe out there!

Maybe you could send the computer and the charger back, or ask for a refund?

9 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

Did you try another charger?

Of course I did. Chargers, cables, even different buildings

9 hours ago, RemissComic1058 said:

Maybe you could send the computer and the charger back, or ask for a refund?

I asked them to, they refused it outright. Though they promised that my cased is now being worked on by a supervisor, we'll see were it leads me

7 hours ago, 6Foot3Alex said:

I asked them to, they refused it outright. Though they promised that my cased is now being worked on by a supervisor, we'll see were it leads me

expose them on  mass social media platforms