Is this PC worth upgrading or should I go with a new build??

Drakiir84

Budget (including currency): $1500-2000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk 2077 and similar games, DOOM

Other details 

Link to Current Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Drakiir84/saved/#view=F47TYJ
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D (ATX Mid Tower)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
CPU : Intel i7-3770 Ivy Quad-Core 3.4GHz
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100 
GPU: GeForce GTX 680 4GB 256-bit GDDR5
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 inch SATA III
Power Supply: Corsair HX850 850w 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular

1. Budget & Location
Between $1500 and $2000 USD and live in Hawaii

2. Aim
This PC will only be used for gaming and streaming movies/shows.  Super casual gamer at this point in my life (kids) but when I do play, say a game like DOOM or Cyberpunk 2077 I want to have the best possible experience.

3.  Monitors
I run 3 non-extending monitors.  All gaming done on a primary monitor with 2 supplementary monitors for multi-tasking.  Probably won't upgrade to 4K but might want the option.

5.  Why am I upgrading
I built this PC back in 2012 with what were at the time, pretty high end components.  It still works today but the GPU doesn't really hold up with newer games.  As stated above I don't get a lot of time to game between work and home life so when I do have free time to kill I want it to be worth it.  I've also strayed away from PC building and I feel so left behind and overwhelmed with how many options there are to choose from (even after watching hours and hours of LTT this past week).  So my 3 options as I see them are as follows.
     a)  Upgrade current build which I'm not sure is even worth it.
     b)  Scavenge the case and power supply and build from there??            

c)  Build a new rig and retire this PC, displaying it in a place of reverence to be     admired as a relic from a more simple time.
Looks don't matter to me, just performance.  I'm too old and boring to pay extra for flashy lights and effects but am not bothered by it either.  Not an Intel or AMD fanboy, whatever's best and fits in the budget is great.  My PC has served me well for the last 9 years, having a new build that will also last a while would be great.  Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

13 minutes ago, Drakiir84 said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk 2077 and similar games, DOOM

Other details 

Link to Current Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Drakiir84/saved/#view=F47TYJ

1. Budget & Location

2. Aim
This PC will only be used for gaming and streaming movies/shows.  Super casual gamer at this point in my life (kids) but when I do play, say a game like DOOM or Cyberpunk 2077 I want to have the best possible experience.

3.  Monitors
I run 3 non-extending monitors.  All gaming done on a primary monitor with 2 supplementary monitors for multi-tasking.  Probably won't upgrade to 4K but might want the option.

5.  Why am I upgrading
I built this PC back in 2012 with what were at the time, pretty high end components.  It still works today but the GPU doesn't really hold up with newer games.  As stated above I don't get a lot of time to game between work and home life so when I do have free time to kill I want it to be worth it.  I've also strayed away from PC building and I feel so left behind and overwhelmed with how many options there are to choose from (even after watching hours and hours of LTT this past week).  So my 3 options as I see them are as follows.

c)  Build a new rig and retire this PC, displaying it in a place of reverence to be     admired as a relic from a more simple time.
Looks don't matter to me, just performance.  I'm too old and boring to pay extra for flashy lights and effects but am not bothered by it either.  Not an Intel or AMD fanboy, whatever's best and fits in the budget is great.  My PC has served me well for the last 9 years, having a new build that will also last a while would be great.  Any help and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

You should get a new rig but keep the Samsung SSD and put it in the new rig and if you want the best experience wait for the new Nvidia Geforce RTX 30 Series and get ddr4 ram and get a amd ryzen 7 or ryzen 9 and a new motherboard

I just jumped from Sandy Bridge (think i7-2700k) and yeah, it's best to ditch. You could definitely salvage the PSU, Case, and SSD and start fresh from there. If you want to keep it going from where you have it, try to find a good cheap stand-in card like a 1660 super, and and the computer will chug for a while longer until parts become actually available and cheap(er) once tariffs taper off and availability starts to come through. That CPU will still hold up, as will the RAM, enough to strangle another year or two out of it which IMO would be worth it.

So yeah, you should probably go full-send and just build a new rig (spare the 3 parts that would do very well to salvage), or drop in a new GPU to hold it off until that's actually possible (a decent GPU now will most likely resell for a solid portion of its original MSRP)

My profile picure is real. That's what I look like in real life. I'm actually a blue and white African Wild Dog.

Ryzen 9 5900X - MSI Ventus 2x OC 3060 Ti - 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz CL16 - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax

EVGA CLC 280 + 2x140mm NF-A14 - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB + WD Black SN750 1TB - Windows 11/10 - EVGA Supernova G3 1000W

10 minutes ago, Drakiir84 said:

Upgrade current build which I'm not sure is even worth it.

Can't really go any better as far as CPU, so your best bet would be go new, but the current scalping and price insanity means the GFX cards are not worth what is being asked for, or they are flat out of stock.

So if you can wait, wait until things return to normal.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

19 minutes ago, Drakiir84 said:

Other details 

1. Budget & Location

2. Aim

3.  Monitors

5.  Why am I upgrading

From my point of view your PC is fine just needs a light touch up:

* New GPU maybe Nvida 3060 when it becomes available and when prices normalize

* Overclock the CPU

* Extra HDD only for games, Leave SSD strictly ONLY for the OS

* 24GB of RAM, not too important but nice to have. (remove 2x4gb replace with 2x8gb)

Also you may want to try gaming on all 3 monitors, the experience is very pleasing at least for me :)

You should be fine for a few years 

9 hours ago, Drakiir84 said:

Other details 

1. Budget & Location

2. Aim

3.  Monitors

5.  Why am I upgrading

My New Build Suggestion: