Problems flashing BIOS on MAG B550 Tomahawk

HottyRat

I got the B550 Tomahawk with a 5600X, and need to update the BIOS.

I followed this guide: 

Using only the 24-pin and the CPU 8-pin on the mobo, no CPU or RAM or anything.

I got a FAT32-formated USB stick with only the BIOS file renamed to MSI.ROM.

My PSU is a Corsair RM850 from 2014, but I don't think that is the problem, since it worked fine in my old rig.

When I push the "Flash BIOS" button, it starts blinking as in the guides. Then the MOBO LEDs turn on, as in the guides.
The problem is the LED for "Flash BIOS" never stops blinking. Had it going for over 2 hours, still blinking. The debug LED for CPU is also lit, without having a CPU in the socket.

I've tried clearing CMOS, tried another USB stick, tried an older version of a BIOS update. Took everything out of the case, and off the mobo.

First time I tried to flash the USB stick had another format, FAT, but I reformated to FAT32.

The PC won't post without updating.

Is the mobo bricked? Did I do anything wrong? 

Sorry for wall of text, trying to add as muchdetail  as I can.

Thanks

use ch341a programmer

Main: Intel i7-10700KF, RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC, 16 GB 3900MHz CL15 B-Die, Windows 11 Pro

Third PC: Intel i5-10400F, RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio, 16GB 3000MHz Timitec, Windows 10 Pro

Second PC: Ryzen 7 2700, RTX 2070 Super STRIX, 16GB 3200MHz CL15, Windows 10 Pro

First PC: Intel i5-3570, GTX 1060 Windforce, 16GB G-Skill 1600MHz, Windows 10 Pro

Hmmm Laptop: Pentium M 1.6GHz, iGPU, 2 GB 800MHz DDR2, Windows 7 SP1

3 minutes ago, Adkatka said:

use ch341a programmer

Should this be necessary? If I need to buy extra hardware, wouldn't it be better to RMA?

Just now, HottyRat said:

Should this be necessary? If I need to buy extra hardware, wouldn't it be better to RMA?

sure you can RMA it, and buy a better board but in case if they dont accept it, you can use the programmer which is only 10$ on amazon

Main: Intel i7-10700KF, RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC, 16 GB 3900MHz CL15 B-Die, Windows 11 Pro

Third PC: Intel i5-10400F, RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio, 16GB 3000MHz Timitec, Windows 10 Pro

Second PC: Ryzen 7 2700, RTX 2070 Super STRIX, 16GB 3200MHz CL15, Windows 10 Pro

First PC: Intel i5-3570, GTX 1060 Windforce, 16GB G-Skill 1600MHz, Windows 10 Pro

Hmmm Laptop: Pentium M 1.6GHz, iGPU, 2 GB 800MHz DDR2, Windows 7 SP1

Ok, wanted to check for a solution before RMA. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, HottyRat said:

Ok, wanted to check for a solution before RMA. Thanks!

You shouldn't need it installed, but have you tried installing a CPU and then updating the BIOS using the flashback button. You shouldn't need a CPU installed but no harm in trying 

4 minutes ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

You shouldn't need it installed, but have you tried installing a CPU and then updating the BIOS using the flashback button. You shouldn't need a CPU installed but no harm in trying 

That was the first thing I tried. No luck, doesnt even post.

1 minute ago, HottyRat said:

That was the first thing I tried. No luck, doesnt even post.

If you email MSI direct, they may send you out a new BIOS chip instead of you having to RMA the board 

Just now, 8-Bit Ninja said:

If you email MSI direct, they may send you out a new BIOS chip instead of you having to RMA the board 

Not comfortable starting to mod a mobo on my own, but thanks for the suggestion :)

3 minutes ago, HottyRat said:

Not comfortable starting to mod a mobo on my own, but thanks for the suggestion :)

its not a mod, its just a chip that you pull out with your fingers and plug the new one in

image.png.990504a94d213786f71bd6afe8c4be45.pngimage.png.754d41dcd2f4786a0fbcdcd106eebeef.png

1 minute ago, 8-Bit Ninja said:

its not a mod, its just a chip that you pull out with your fingers and plug the new one in

image.png.990504a94d213786f71bd6afe8c4be45.pngimage.png.754d41dcd2f4786a0fbcdcd106eebeef.png

Ah, I see. Found the ROG Strix X570 on sale for almost the same price, so I'll change it out for that anyways.