Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey all! I've been looking at an auction site today as there's some decent stuff up for grabs, and they've got a bunch of Alienware PCs that might be had for a decent deal depending on the bids. Thing is, I'm not sure exactly what's in them. The lot says "Computer Tower Intel Core i7 8th Gen" and that's it. I know these PCs were used in an esports training program, so there's definitely a graphics card in there, and maybe an SSD. Was curious if anyone could identify the skew of product based on the chasis. Obviously there's no way to know for sure what's in it until it's purchased, but even knowing the range of options available from Alienware's prebuilt configurator from around the time this was on the market could likely narrow it down and help me value these appropriately.

Any thoughts? Alienware's site only shows their most current models, so I can't seem to find a good way to track down the model based on the image alone. From some googling it seems like it's an Aurora skew. The 8th gen processor maybe implies a 10 series nvidia card?

alienwareauction.png

Is there any guarantee that the PC's are complete with all their original parts? GPU's and SSD's could have been cannibalized. 

Saika (Main PC)

Ryzen 5 5600X - ASRock X570 PG Velocita - PowerColor Red Devil Limited Edition RX 6800 XT #166 - 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600mhz - 2xXPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe

Akatsuki (Emulation PC)

Ryzen 5 3400G - ASRock A300 DeskMini - 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2666mhz SO-DIMM - Samsung 840 500GB SSD

Just now, Den-Fi said:

Are the service tags not accessible?

They could have been custom ordered from Dell, so eyeballing the chassis isn't all that useful.

Not as far as I can tell. The auction is all online, and the only picture I have is the one I shared, and the only details on the lot was the "Corei7 8th gen" descriptor. Seems to be a flash liquidation of the place. Lots of TVs that don't even have model numbers, and random furniture and other stuff just listed by basic descriptors. These are listed at a pretty low price, likely because there's very little info on what you're getting. Was curious if I could narrow it down a bit and hedge my bets.

1 minute ago, Cptn.Canuck said:

Not as far as I can tell. The auction is all online, and the only picture I have is the one I shared, and the only details on the lot was the "Corei7 8th gen" descriptor. Seems to be a flash liquidation of the place. Lots of TVs that don't even have model numbers, and random furniture and other stuff just listed by basic descriptors. These are listed at a pretty low price, likely because there's very little info on what you're getting. Was curious if I could narrow it down a bit and hedge my bets.

Gotcha. Would have at least had a chance of identifying the GPU from the back, but not much to see from the front. It's eSport, so for all we know it could be a GTX 1650 in there depending on the games.

Looks like an Aurora:

https://www.dell.com/lt/p/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop/pd

This page seems to outline the SKUs, however there's no guarantee that there aren't more not listed here. Could also be a custom product as previously mentioned. As it says though, it could be anything from a single RX 560 to dual 1080tis.

My PCs:

Timothy: 

i7 4790k

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3

ASUS GTX 1060 6GB

Corsair Carbide 300R

Kinda looks like an Aurora R7, which came with a GTX 1060 and up (1070, 1080 Ti) it seems.

Could also be an R5, which came with an i5 8400 and a 1050 Ti.

But who knows what is actually in these machines. For all we know these are three empty Aurora R7 cases :P or maybe the videocards were taken out already, you never know.

I'm always a bit nervous with these kind of auctions, you just never know what is in these machines.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

No way to know unfortunately, you'll just have to roll the dice. If they're cheap enough, might be worth the risk.

Current PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You might get a right result, OP, or receive an empty case.

I'd try to ascertain exactly what will be in the case when it's sent to you, otherwise, personally, I say pass.

* thread moved to the Laptops and Pre-Built Systems section *

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

VPN server guide

Introduction to Mechanical Keyboard

Spoiler

My Gaming Rig - Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO CPU: i7-8700 RAM: 32GB DDR4 2400(4x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB OS SSD: 240GB Avexir E100 Storage: 2x 1TB Seagate PSU: Seasonic G650 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bits Monitor: Acer 21in G205H + Lenovo 21in

Right on, thanks for all the replies guys. Mostly what I had assumed, but the links to the skews for that model have been pretty helpful. I'll keep an eye on where the bids go for these. If one of them could be had in the $400 range, it might be a worthwhile gamble. I've seen auctions like this just blow prices up past even retail pricing, so there's a chance that it's not even worth it if there was something good inside.

1 hour ago, Cptn.Canuck said:

I've seen auctions like this just blow prices up past even retail pricing, so there's a chance that it's not even worth it if there was something good inside.

Basically the NCIX liquidation auction lol.