Question regarding B550 Gaming Carbon M.2 slots

Go to solution Solved by RadiatingLight,

No, it won't affect the speed of anything.

The first PCIe slot is directly connected to the CPU, so nothing at all could slow it down.

the 2nd M.2 slot is either direct to the CPU, or through the chipset (I don't remember), but it doesn't really matter too much either way.

Installing an M.2 SSD in the 2nd slot will disable the PCIe E2 and E3 slots, page 18 of the manual that came with your motherboard.

Hello, 

As the tile says, I have a doubt about my motherboard (MSI B550 Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi with Ryzen 5600x) and how the M.2 slots work that I can't really answer entirely by looking at the manual. 

Right now I'm using one of the M.2 slots with a NVMe drive, a SN500 from WD. I want to add another SSD to replace my ancient 240GB SATA SSD and I would rather use another NVMe drive in my second M.2 slot but, I'm unsure about something. 
Will having two M.2 drives at once affect the speed of the drives, or even worse, the GPU?, they both would be PCI-E 3.0 drives but I've seen some old mobos having the issue of capping the speed of one of the drives in the second or first SSD or even the GPU.

If it will cause any issue whatsoever I will just go for a SATA SSD but, I would like to now how this works.

Thanks in advance to whoever answers my question. 

The first PCIe slot is directly connected to the CPU, so nothing at all could slow it down.

the 2nd M.2 slot is either direct to the CPU, or through the chipset (I don't remember), but it doesn't really matter too much either way.

Installing an M.2 SSD in the 2nd slot will disable the PCIe E2 and E3 slots, page 18 of the manual that came with your motherboard.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

11 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Oh yeah I know about the other PCI-E slots being disabled but that doesn't matter to me. Thanks a lot for your answer, I'll go for another M.2 SSD then.