Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Desktop PC not always turning on; showing VGA debug LED

Hello everyone,

since a couple days I'm starting to have issues that my PC doesn't want to fully turn on the first couple times when pressing the On/Off switch. Currently trying to figure out what the exact issue might be and how to solve it.

PC Components:

Spoiler

Motherboard: MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon

CPU: Intel i7-7700K

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X
RAM: Corsair 2x8GB, DDR4, 3000MHZ, Vengeance LPX

PSU: Corsair RM650x

SSDs: Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 250GB and Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus M.2 1TB.

All Windows Updates and GPU driver updates have been installed.

When turning on the PC, it does not show anything on screen and when checking the motherboard it shows a burning VGA debug LED. After a couple on/off it turns on correctly and there seems to be no issues. Benchmarks shows all components showing as intended and nothing is holding back. The only other issue I've spotted so far, is that one of the USB-A/USB-C ports on the motherboard (the "VR-READY" ones) don't seem to work and also just instantly stop when Disabling/Enabling them through device manager. They do provide power however (my phone charges through them both when using a cable)

First I thought it was a GPU issue (due to the VGA debug LED and no image on my screen) but now I'm slowly starting to wonder if it's not the motherboard. The integrated graphics should've kicked in even if the GPU is not functioning but even that doesn't happen (I plugged in an HDMI from the motherboard through my monitor but also then with restarting I get no image) and I get the VGA debug LED anyway.

Anyone ideas on what would be best to continue?

2 minutes ago, CreepySK said:

did you overclock?

No overclocking what so ever. Everything is just as it gets out of the box.

What I should maybe mention aswell is that I do have some more components but I can't imagine those combined turning into a power issue or something like that. Like 5 fans, RGB keyboard+mouse, headset, etc.

First, try removing the GPU itself and then boot with the iGPU. If the issues persist, it's likely the motherboard.

EDIT: ACTUALLY try removing your peripherals on boot up. ESPECIALLY printers or external media. Then try messing with the GPU and etc.

Edited by barkydoggo
1 minute ago, MelleJ said:

No overclocking what so ever. Everything is just as it gets out of the box.

What I should maybe mention aswell is that I do have some more components but I can't imagine those combined turning into a power issue or something like that.

so.. how about fans, rgb etc? Are fans running at 100% or they go full and then slow down?

12 minutes ago, barkydoggo said:

First, try removing the GPU itself and then boot with the iGPU. If the issues persist, it's likely the motherboard.

EDIT: ACTUALLY try removing your peripherals on boot up. ESPECIALLY printers or external media. Then try messing with the GPU and etc.

Good idea, and yeah my plan was on removing the peripherals when testing it out. I thought the iGPU would take over if the GPU fails but might just be smart to take the GPU and make sure what happens.

11 minutes ago, CreepySK said:

so.. how about fans, rgb etc? Are fans running at 100% or they go full and then slow down?

It's basically a good startup; RGB properly works on fans and keyboard/mouse, fans go to the full 100% (as regular during startup) and then slow down back to their 'idle' mode.

I will probably be testing later tonight (in 2-3 hours) since I'm still finishing up some work (as long as my PC is still on and working) so will get back to you guys later today.

2 minutes ago, MelleJ said:

Good idea, and yeah my plan was on removing the peripherals when testing it out. I thought the iGPU would take over if the GPU fails but might just be smart to take the GPU and make sure what happens.

It's basically a good startup; RGB properly works on fans and keyboard/mouse, fans go to the full 100% (as regular during startup) and then slow down back to their 'idle' mode.

I will probably be testing later tonight (in 2-3 hours) since I'm still finishing up some work (as long as my PC is still on and working) so will get back to you guys later today.

do this: start pc, wait 1 minute, depends on how long your pc boots, to be sure its on. Try pressing numlock. If LED turns on and off, its alive. If you have any password, type it. Be sure you dont make any mistakes. Now wait few secs so pc will "load" everything. If you have keyboard key to shutdown pc, press it so pc will shut down. If not, press win key and type: "shutdown -s -t 1" this will shut down your pc. If it does, your gpu is probably dead. If nothing works, something other is dead