Intel Replaces Bob Swan with VMWare’s Pat Gelsinger

Blade of Grass

Summary

Bob Swan is out, VMWare’s CEO Pat Gelsinger is in, as of Feb 15 2021. Previously, Pat was also Intel’s first CTO. 

Quotes

Critics have pointed to the fact that Intel's chief executive did not come from a technical background, having previously served as CFO. With Gelsinger, that will no longer be the case. Gelsinger previously worked at Intel, eventually becoming its first Chief Technology Officer.

Intel said the announcement was separate from its financial results and said it expects fourth quarter 2020 revenue and earnings to exceed prior guidance. The company said it "has made strong progress" on its latest generation 7 nanometer chips which it said it would discuss when it reports earnings on Jan. 21.

My thoughts

Interesting to see how this transition goes. Intel has some work ahead of them to regain the ground they’ve lost, and having better technical leadership will definitely help them. Pat might be an outsider currently, but his history with Intel should hopefully help accelerate his integration. 

Sources

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/13/intel-ceo-bob-swan-to-step-down-in-february.html

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Summary

After his just over 2 years as CEO, Bob Swan will officially be stepping down as Intel's CEO as of February 15th, 2021. VMware's CEO Pat Gelsinger is set to take over as Intel's new CEO. In fact, Gelsinger was Intel's first CTO as well. He left Intel in September of 2009 to join EMC. Gelsinger was with Intel for 30 years prior to leaving and contributed to the creation of technologies such as USB and Wi-Fi.

Quotes

Intel CEO Bob Swan is set to step down effective Feb. 15, the company announced Wednesday. VMWare CEO Pat Gelsinger will take over the position.

Intel’s stock was up about 10% after CNBC’s David Faber first broke the news prior to the announcement. VMWare’s stock was down more than 5%.

Swan was named CEO in January 2019 after serving as interim CEO for seven months.

Source: CNBC

My thoughts

Although I personally do not believe Swan is at fault completely for Intel's failures in the recent years, it will be nice to see Gelsinger back with Intel. Also, with him being a former CTO of Intel, it may bring a fresh perspective to the role of CEO that we haven't seen in a long time.

Honestly, I agree with many other and even previous WAN show comments that someone with an engineering background in some way should be running a company like Intel. Gelsinger has decades within the IT field, while Swan has degrees in business administration; while an MBA might suit a CEO well in many companies I don't think it suits Intel well. Gelsinger was with Intel for 30 years prior to leaving and helped

Sources

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/intel-appoints-tech-industry-leader-pat-gelsinger-as-new-ceo/?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/13/intel-ceo-bob-swan-to-step-down-in-february.html?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

https://leaderpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/intel-to-replace-ceo-bob-swan-with-vmwares-pat-gelsinger-sources?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

https://financialpost.com/pmn/business-pmn/intel-to-replace-ceo-bob-swan-with-vmwares-pat-gelsinger-sources?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-intel-ceo/intel-to-replace-ceo-bob-swan-with-pat-gelsinger-cnbc-idUSKBN29I1W3?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

@MatthewSH looks like @Blade of Grass beat you to the punch by about thirty seconds, the threads were merged.

Edited by wkdpaul
merged

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Time to bring some talented people that are not just bean counters at the top of Intel. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Hope that the new guy can actually help Intel make better cpus.

Right now they do not have that great value, but they are at stock atleast (well 10100f and 10400f are decent value)

The rumors about the 11th gen are not promising. I am kinda dissapointed. Single digit gains with the 11900k compared to 10900k but it is 8 core and priced the same as 5900x.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

The question I have...

Did he jump or was he pushed?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Looking at his portfolio, Pat just might be the kind of guy Intel needs as part of its leadership. Given that competition has been pretty fierce in the CPU space over the last 3-4 years no doubt spurred by AMD's comeback and the rise of ARM as an x86 alternative for the PC, Intel would benefit from a technology-focused leadership style rather than the bean counters that have kept the cogs spinning even as their technology progress largely stagnated.

Let's hope we can see results in 2022 or so.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

*hears Bob Swam crying on a bed made of millions of dollars*

Ah, you beat me to it. Here's a link you can add: https://www.anandtech.com/show/16419/intel-appoints-pat-gelsinger-as-new-ceo-from-feb-15th?utm_source=notification

Well anyway, I hope this new engineer CEO will steer Intel in the right direction. 

Best of luck to you Intel.

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

I don't get why people think having a technical background makes you better to run a company. 

It's not the CEO that comes up with new products or develops them. 

Paul Otellini had no technical background but ran Intel when they became the dominant player and launched things like the first i3, i5 and i7 lineups. 

Their previous CEO, Brian Krzanich, was an engineer and he ran Intel from when they were at top (took over after Sandy Bridge) to when AMD knocked Intel out with zen and zen2. 

Remember, Bob Swan has only been the Intel CEO for like a year and a half or something like that. 

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I don't get why people think having a technical background makes you better to run a company. 

Sure, but the CEO has influence over the general direction of the company. They need to direct them in the way that puts them into a more competitive piece of silicon.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

6 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

To add to this the new guy came up the Intel technical side at the same time as the people there running things did and they're the one's who dropped the ball and got Intel in this mess. That or the people above them, (i.e. the new guy back when he was CTO), did. Either way it's not a ringing endorsement.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

The question I have...

Hard to say. One way or another it's a showmanship move not a practical one. Swan wasn't there long enough to actually do anything which means there's no real basis for getting rid of him on factual grounds. But much like their new CPU launch it's about appearances to shareholders and investors. It makes them look like they're taking decisive action while they wait for their tech issues to straighten themselves out, (which is going to take a long time no matter what). They're keeping up appearances basically. But weather Swan went voluntarily to keep that alive or was pushed to keep it alive, could go either way.

2 minutes ago, Lord Bloobus said:

Sure, but the CEO has influence over the general direction of the company. They need to direct them in the way that puts them into a more competitive piece of silicon.

Already done some time ago. It's a process node issue and any changes Swan made there, even if he made them the day he became CEO, won't be visible for several more years.

14 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

No, but the hope is that a CEO with a technical background is more likely to give the engineers the resources they need to do the work properly, rather than make everything focused about profit margins.

Not that that's remotely assured of course.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

4 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

No, but the hope is that a CEO with a technical background is more likely to give the engineers the resources they need to do the work properly, rather than make everything focused about profit margins.

Not that that's remotely assured of course.

I don't see any reason why that would be true.

The engineers are the ones who know what they need, and those don't even directly communicate with the CEO. It is not the CEO's job to provide engineers or other employees with equipment or whatnot.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Paul Otellini had no technical background but ran Intel when they became the dominant player and launched things like the first i3, i5 and i7 lineups. 

Their previous CEO, Brian Krzanich, was an engineer and he ran Intel from when they were at top (took over after Sandy Bridge) to when AMD knocked Intel out with zen and zen2. 

Remember, Bob Swan has only been the Intel CEO for like a year and a half or something like that. 

because they tend to make more product oriented decisions rather than marketing/financial oriented ones

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Good question. Swan got the job as interim CEO after the CEO before that got pushed. Although the "interim" title got dropped I did wonder if they were still looking for a longer term successor. Don't feel Swan did anything to get pushed, more likely stepping aside for someone more suited to drive the company forward.

5 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

Let's hope we can see results in 2022 or so.

Add some years onto that before any impact could arguably attributed. 

TechTechPotato just went into this in more depth.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

14 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

The question I have...

Bob Swan never want to be put as CEO as his permanent position, he was filling the gap as Brian Krazanich Has problematic sudden resignation due to affair with another Intel Employee, after long search, board director basically tired searching and name him as New CEO or they do so to buy some times for searching the new person

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/intel-ceo-bob-swan

12 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Bob Swan actually decent guy, he manage to do damage control for Intel sudden loss leadership, Intel problem actually more about Brian Krzanich fault, for his desicion on restructuring the company and desicion making causing long 10nm Delay, not to mention he forced to leave due to affair with another Intel Employee, not kind of respectable way to leave right

Brian Kraznich is an engineer FYI

Bob Swan simply a guy who were CFO at the time, and know how the company financial situation, he appointed to be full time CEO after tiring search, and most likely experience people on this field do not want to take Intel lead at that time due the fact it's so on rough state, 

Bob did make a great thing, during his time they ship 10nm chip at decent volume, and refocusing their business by selling some of their non core division, he trying to refocus the company as a whole again, it seems after Bob manage to do some decisive move, Pat finally agree to take the helm

FYI, Pat was offered CEO position on 2018, and he refuse it, https://www.businessinsider.com/intel-ceo-pat-gelsinger-michael-dell-2018-6?r=US&IR=T 

10 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

because they tend to make more product oriented decisions rather than marketing/financial oriented ones

I'd like to see some evidence that that's true.

Right now you seem to be just making a massive assumption that it is. 

I wonder how many people making comments like "Intel needs an engineer as the CEO" doesn't even know they had an engineer as the CEO when they first started fucking up and lost the lead, and that Bob Swan has only been a CEO for a very short time and had probably not managed to do much change at all yet. 

Intel's problems aren't CEO related. 

10 hours ago, porina said:

Good question. Swan got the job as interim CEO after the CEO before that got pushed. Although the "interim" title got dropped I did wonder if they were still looking for a longer term successor. Don't feel Swan did anything to get pushed, more likely stepping aside for someone more suited to drive the company forward.

Add some years onto that before any impact could arguably attributed. 

TechTechPotato just went into this in more depth.

So, still pushed, but without shaming and with a bag of money :)

52 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I'd like to see some evidence that that's true.

Right now you seem to be just making a massive assumption that it is. 

I wonder how many people making comments like "Intel needs an engineer as the CEO" doesn't even know they had an engineer as the CEO when they first started fucking up and lost the lead, and that Bob Swan has only been a CEO for a very short time and had probably not managed to do much change at all yet. 

Intel's problems aren't CEO related. 

Before Bob appointed as full time CEO, he continuedly refuse the full time offer, as he know that he is not the right man to the job, He is CFO and based on information he have he know how the company doing, 

But board director pushing him for it, since they can't convince other candidate to take the role, Intel Problem is CEO related, but not background related, but desicion Related

engineer CEO named Brian Kraznich make couple of bad desicion, causing 10nm delay, while making many big budget acquisition

16 hours ago, LAwLz said:

A non-engineer can do it, but Otellini wasn't some MBA from a venture capital group. He worked his way up within Intel's structure overseeing engineers. His entire business experience was really making processors at Intel. Engineering is, at the end of the day, a hard but learnable skill. The issue is you can't just learn some of this stuff in a couple of weeks. It's years of being involved with it all that are necessary.

That's the real problem when you put someone from Finance over an Engineering company. They can too easily get snowballed on technical aspects along with losing focus of harder, strategic aspects necessary to make an engineering company work. The uptake time they'd need would be several years. For a company like Intel which is also involved in fundamental research, you also need someone that can handle making decisions at the exact cutting edge. I do think Bob Swan was a good choice, but mostly because they needed someone to clean up a mess.

Doesn't mean an engineer-CEO will be good. Intel and AMD can both tell you that one. But there's levels of authenticity and trust that go with someone that's had to get a semiconductor product out the door, on time and roughly on budget. We've seen a lot of problems with companies like GE when you get Finance people only at the top. Suddenly the core business segments start falling apart.

As for Intel, hiring Pat does seem like the right move. Guy is good. Issue is he turned down the job in 2018, but takes it in 2020. Clearly, something has changed with Intel. (Also, almost no one that could do the Intel job actually wanted it when Bob Swan got the job.) A look at the Board of Directors shows they've flipped most of them in the last 2 years, along with a new Chairman in early 2020. Short answer is that Bob was put in to clean up a massive mess and simply get the ship stabilized. Pat is a serious player and a massive hire. This is actually a good thing for everyone. Intel is a massive company and them driving into a wall was a big problem. 

3 hours ago, heickelrrx said:

Before Bob appointed as full time CEO, he continuedly refuse the full time offer, as he know that he is not the right man to the job, He is CFO and based on information he have he know how the company doing, 

But board director pushing him for it, since they can't convince other candidate to take the role, Intel Problem is CEO related, but not background related, but desicion Related

engineer CEO named Brian Kraznich make couple of bad desicion, causing 10nm delay, while making many big budget acquisition

It looks like Intel basically cleaned house at the top. That seems like what Bob's real job was. The TSMC-US Government deal has to be understood in this context. Intel is a massive Government/Military contractor & Nodes are Strategic Assets. There were a lot of big players very pissed at Intel being a mess. It's nice to see them getting into some sort of proper direction.