Cyberpunk 2077 - just very mediocre?

maartendc

Hello all,

I wanted to share my thoughts on Cyberpunk 2077, something that has been bugging me.

I feel like every reviewer out there is so focused on the bugs, (which are terrible, no doubt), that something important is getting overlooked:

Even if the game was technically perfect, with zero bugs, it would still be just a very mediocre open world game. Here are some of my reasons:

- The story is good, but pretty short. Not amazing.

- The side missions (with a few exceptions) are boring, lack depth. (compared to Witcher 3, which had amazing side quests)

- The world itself feels empty, very little to do. (compared to Witcher 3 or RDR2, where the whole world feels alive)

- NPC AI is ridiculously bad, no interaction. (compared to RDR2 for example)

- Driving / car handling is appalling, and the mini-map gps is bad.

- Stealth / hacking mechanics are not well executed. Most people just play guns blazing because the game forces your hand.

- RPG elements are not balanced, crafting is not useful, the economy in the game is not balanced, etc.

I had some fun moments, but personally I am just very disappointed in the game, because it is just... mediocre. Not horrible, just very meh, bland, forgettable.

What do you guys think? What would be your opinion of the game, if it had zero bugs?

Thanks!

From the little I've played and interacted with the game it just seems like a generic but pretty open world game. So yeah forgettable I guess. It doesn't even look that good too, do like the art direction sometimes.

Wait what? Gameplay is also important for a Game, not only Graphics, perfornance and bugs ?

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

You can choose your genitalia.  Thus, your argument is invalid.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

It was overhyped by both sides. If there wouldn't have been such a hypetrain around it I think there wouldn't have been such an outrage. I agree with your points about they AI and driving, they are not the best.

We should also realize, however, that his isn't just Witcher 3 or RDR2 in a cyberpunk setting. It's its own game. If you don't compare it to the giants, I think it's a fine middle of the road game.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

A line comes to mind (I've not played this, so take that for what it's worth) about massive "open worlds"

"I mile wide and an inch deep"

Yes, CP2077 looks very pretty, but the gameplay I"ve seen looks...naff

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

11 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Hello all,

I wanted to share my thoughts on Cyberpunk 2077, something that has been bugging me.

I feel like every reviewer out there is so focused on the bugs, (which are terrible, no doubt), that something important is getting overlooked:

Even if the game was technically perfect, with zero bugs, it would still be just a very mediocre open world game. Here are some of my reasons:

- The side missions (with a few exceptions) are boring, lack depth. (compared to Witcher 3, which had amazing side quests)

- The world itself feels empty, very little to do. (compared to Witcher 3 or RDR2, where the whole world feels alive)

- Stealth / hacking mechanics are not well executed. Most people just play guns blazing because the game forces your hand.

- RPG elements are not balanced, crafting is not useful, the economy in the game is not balanced, etc.

I had some fun moments, but personally I am just very disappointed in the game, because it is just... mediocre. Not horrible, just very meh, bland, forgettable.

What do you guys think? What would be your opinion of the game, if it had zero bugs?

Thanks!

So you'd say GTA 5 is better than cyberpunk?

Just now, Radium_Angel said:

A line comes to mind (I've not played this, so take that for what it's worth) about massive "open worlds"

"I mile wide and an inch deep"

Yes, CP2077 looks very pretty, but the gameplay I"ve seen looks...naff

Funny enough, I think that about Zelda Breath of the Wild (a mile wide and an inch deep), and that game was hailed as a masterpiece.  

Which begs the question: am I just weirdly interpreting that axiom, or is the depth of the mechanics less important than we give it credit for?

#Muricaparrotgang

Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Anyone who says the game is just okay is really not seeing the bigger picture in my opinion. 

I've recently been playing through Read Dead Redemption 2 and that game is still stunning, my second playthrough and I'm still astonished. 

I feel that cyberpunk was/is interesting due to the hype that was surrounding it. Similarly with RDR2, I gotta be in a certain mood at times to feel immersed unless I've already been playing it previously for some time like now. 

I cannot complete the game as it stands as it's impossible to complete a mission due to a bug. The shit I've seen is incredibly disappointing and more so when compared to some successful games of the past 2/3 years. Cyberpunk was in development for what, 7/8 years? 

Forget the world, there's nothing to do but hopefully I can enjoy the story. Well, when my ripperdoc is floating halfway across the room on an imaginary chair that seems to be the most fun I've had with the game since launch, bugs.

The map to me looks like it is made from prefab blocks that have had small changes made to look different. Taking the same elevator to the same level of each building feels tiring after some time. 

30 minutes ago, Rybo said:

am I just weirdly interpreting that axiom, or is the depth of the mechanics less important than we give it credit for?

I feel the gameplay should be king. Pixel graphics games showcase that GFX ain't the be-all-end-all to a game.

37 minutes ago, Rybo said:

You can choose your genitalia.  Thus, your argument is invalid.  

Out of a twisted sense of curiosity, does it affect gameplay?

46 minutes ago, maartendc said:

I had some fun moments,

Let me ask you this, because I'm curious, if you follow one of the random people that inhabit this world (like in the shopping distrct that is so commonly seen in the trailers/gameplay) do they go something with a purpose, or do they just wander in a loop, forever repeating?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

8 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Let me ask you this, because I'm curious, if you follow one of the random people that inhabit this world (like in the shopping distrct that is so commonly seen in the trailers/gameplay) do they go something with a purpose, or do they just wander in a loop, forever repeating?

I don't know about this but the police in this game sucks ass.

There are all these crime scenes dotted around the map that are apparently one of the best and easiest ways to get loot/ level up or whatever but anyway. If you've committed a crime one police guy might chase you for a while then they walk off. yep, that's right. they stop. And those awesome cars they have? placeholders. They cannot drive them. 

Let me get this through to people. There are no police chases in this game. The game is called CYBERPUNK 2077.

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I haven't played it yet (due in part to the fact that there is gratuitous nudity.  Not a game to play when you live in a house with people in it), but one would hope it changes things at least on a superficial level. 

I feel the gameplay should be king. Pixel graphics games showcase that GFX ain't the be-all-end-all to a game.

I think you're interpreting "a mile wide and inch deep" weirdly as well :) My interpretation is like this (let's use Breath of the Wild as an example).  In BoTW, you can cook foods that have benefits.  There are probably hundreds of recipes in the game, all with unique recipes and graphics.  But they all have identical effects, based in large part on certain ingredients.  If your recipe includes truffle, you're going to get bonus hearts.  If it includes bananas, you're going to get a strength bonus.  If it includes nothing interesting, you're just going to regain health.  Thus, making a huge, complicated dish with rare ingredients doesn't matter.  Just combine a truffle and an apple or 5 bananas and you'll get the best result for the effect you want.  There's no depth to the recipes.  

Though now that I've written it out, it does kinda match what you said: since the recipes don't really have any gameplay mechanics (there's no incentive to search for quality ingredients), you'd probably consider it an inch deep like I do.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

17 minutes ago, Rybo said:

I haven't played it yet (due in part to the fact that there is gratuitous nudity.  Not a game to play when you live in a house with people in it), but one would hope it changes things at least on a superficial level. 

I think you're interpreting "a mile wide and inch deep" weirdly as well :) My interpretation is like this (let's use Breath of the Wild as an example).  In BoTW, you can cook foods that have benefits.  There are probably hundreds of recipes in the game, all with unique recipes and graphics.  But they all have identical effects, based in large part on certain ingredients.  If your recipe includes truffle, you're going to get bonus hearts.  If it includes bananas, you're going to get a strength bonus.  If it includes nothing interesting, you're just going to regain health.  Thus, making a huge, complicated dish with rare ingredients doesn't matter.  Just combine a truffle and an apple or 5 bananas and you'll get the best result for the effect you want.  There's no depth to the recipes.  

Though now that I've written it out, it does kinda match what you said: since the recipes don't really have any gameplay mechanics (there's no incentive to search for quality ingredients), you'd probably consider it an inch deep like I do.  

Pretty much, lots of "open world" where you can run around and look at all the pretty lights, but interacting with them provides little to no benefit, and regardless of the section of the world you are in, the effect of said interaction is the same.

Yes, I get it, it's very difficult to program (I was a mainframe programmer, I know) and virtually impossible to program individual effects for each item in the game, but it is fairly simple to make a database like this:

Banana Effects:

(1) Rotten, -1 health

(2) Sweet: +1 energy

(3) Unripe: -1 stamina

(4): Fried: +1 strength

and so forth, and each time you eat/use a banana in your cooking, the system does an RNG on the effects, so at least you can get some variation in the cooking.

Ditto with CP2077, each street vendor can offer different things with a maxtrix of different effects, so some variety can be programmed in.

26 minutes ago, ErykYT3 said:

There are no police chases in this game.

Wow, that's bad...

I really like the game,played for 70 hours,only a bunch of side quests and the last main mission remain.

1 hour ago, maartendc said:

I agree,and i really like Johnny :D 

The side missions (with a few exceptions) are boring, lack depth. (compared to Witcher 3, which had amazing side quests)

I think they were alright,some side missions are kinda part of the main story - those are the best ones.

To me it doesn't feel empty,with the amount of crowds set to the highest it feels alive.

I do agree that there is little to do if you don't want to do quests.

True

I like the handling,i agree about the mini-map.

But i have more to add,it's frustrating that in a lot of cars most of the peripheral vision is obstructed,it varies from car to car.

Excellent (Porsche did a good job):

Spoiler

Cyberpunk2077_2020_12_31_03_01_33_753.thumb.png.907fcd4ed326ef9acac61ed3624fbf9f.png

Manageable (Type-66 Avenger):

Spoiler

Cyberpunk2077_2020_12_31_03_00_43_065.thumb.png.02219d50401606658d4a19f266432aaa.png

Can't see the road (Caliburn,fastest car in the game) :

Spoiler

Cyberpunk2077_2020_12_31_02_57_30_542.thumb.png.ef16ed9de65d3bc0d6256d52c1501401.png

Also there are no mirrors,good luck going in reverse (you won't see a thing)

Never engaged with those mechanisms.

I enjoyed exploiting these,My Katana kills in two hits,my assault rifle is a one hit kill,my armor is 5000,and i am only level 38.

Only the police ninjas can kill me since their weapons ignore armor,so i try to kill them before they shoot.

I wouldn't call it forgettable,it's a good game.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

6 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Wow, that's bad...

That's true,you can even outrun them on foot,they usually spawn right behind you or right in front of you and stay there.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

That's true,you can even outrun them on foot,they usually spawn right behind you or right in front of you and stay there.

I really don't like games where the NPCs teleport in, breaks immersion. At least have them run in from off screen or something. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I really don't like games where the NPCs teleport in, breaks immersion. At least have them run in from off screen or something. 

Those are not normal NPCs,those are police chases...

2 hours ago, Drama Lama said:

Wait what? Gameplay is also important for a Game, not only Graphics, perfornance and bugs ?

Absolutely.

Which is actually the main comment I am making: The GAMEPLAY is actually very very mediocre. Most of the things I brought up have to do with gameplay.

Most people are complaining about the bugs and graphics. But actually the game and the way it plays as a whole are just not that good.

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Absolutely it affects gameplay, and besides bugs and glitches, very few people talk about this.

No, if you were to follow random people around, they would just walk around forever I am pretty sure. All NPC's are mindless zombies just wandering around.

To me, the problem with this game is not any one issue. It is not JUST the NPC's, not JUST the bad driving, not JUST the boring fetch-quests, it is not JUST the obnoxious phone mechanics.....But when you take all these things TOGETHER, it just adds up to a very mediocre experience (and that is being generous).

In the end, it is so disappointing, BECAUSE the story is good, and because it had the potential to be so much more.

Honestly, I feel like the game would have benefited from NOT being open world, being just a more linear, tight, story-driven game, and they could have made a true masterpiece. Instead, they wasted tons of development time on trying to build an open world, and they didn't quite pull it off. They were too ambitious, and they couldn't deliver.

I had a GTX 980, paired with a R9 3900XT. At 1080p, it wasn't bad. 45-55FPS medium settings. Then, I got a 1440p IPS panel that does 144hz. GTX 980 was giving me 30-35FPS. Gave up... Even downsamping, it wouldn't run 1440p. Then I picked up a Vega 64, and now I can play medium settings and get 55-65FPS, but I finished the game's story, so... I set it aside, and now I'll just wait until more content, fixes, and maybe DLC are available.

I agree with most of the points, though. It's a game that does lots of stuff, but it doesn't really do any of it very well, as far as gameplay goes.

After playing through the game, it's pretty obvious that this game needed at least another year in the oven, though I'm gambling on a No Man's Sky style redemption. CDPR needs to do one of two things here: 1) STFU, put their heads down, open their wallets up, and dev the shit out of this game, and turn it into what it should have been, or 2) open their wallets up, dev the shit out of this game, and let us know what they're doing. Anything not involving them re-investing their money made from this game's sales into improving it will make the game not worth it, ever.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

9 hours ago, maartendc said:

I found it to be the opposite. I made a loud/rush build but several missions wanted you go be stealth (Riders of the storm + Walk The Line as examples) and if you search around there is always a 'stealth path' to the objective. Although I also found this to ruin the point of a build since I found that I could be stealthy with barely any points into cool. But there are still reasons to spec out a certain way like for cyberware.

Hacking is pretty fun at first but gets boring real fast since its basically look at a NPC, use hack, rinse and repeat. Late game hacking gets even worse because of how OP legendary ping is because you just look at people in a building and hack them. 

And crafting is OP. Besides the exploits with crafting atm, legendary weapons (look at comrade's hammer) and upgrading equipment to legendary for mods are pretty useful.