Playback HDR 4K BluRay on PC

Plermpel
Go to solution Solved by TehDwonz,
4 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

Hello,

I will finally get the last piece of hardware for my new gaming PC tomorrow. I got an Asus BluRay drive and also ordered LotR 4k. I used to play BluRays on my PS4 but I sold it. Now I want to be prepared to watch my Movies on PC. What Software do I need to play a 4K HDR with a Windows PC on my Samsung TV?

To playback under Windows, with no "yarrrr alternative" software, you actually need specific hardware, namely an Intel CPU with "SGX" or "Software Guard Extension".

Am I allowed to mention that "MakeMKV" is some free software, without explaining what it does or linking to it, so that people type it into Google? If not, feel free to edit this mods ;) 

Hello,

I will finally get the last piece of hardware for my new gaming PC tomorrow. I got an Asus BluRay drive and also ordered LotR 4k. I used to play BluRays on my PS4 but I sold it. Now I want to be prepared to watch my Movies on PC. What Software do I need to play a 4K HDR with a Windows PC on my Samsung TV?

What hardware is in your pc? There is like a million and one drm things with playing 4k bluray on pc and you need a specific set of hardware with sgx support for the drm to even allow you to play the disc.

What also works is using anyDvd or redfox to decrypt the drive and then it can be played by vlc.

Getting a bluray to work on pc is a massive pain in the butt and a costly affair. It's beyond not consumer friendly and it pretty much encourages piracy or you to buy a bluray player.

4 minutes ago, Plermpel said:

Hello,

To playback under Windows, with no "yarrrr alternative" software, you actually need specific hardware, namely an Intel CPU with "SGX" or "Software Guard Extension".

Am I allowed to mention that "MakeMKV" is some free software, without explaining what it does or linking to it, so that people type it into Google? If not, feel free to edit this mods ;) 

I will get a Ryzen 5950X tomorrow.

Mainboard is an ASUS X570-F Gaming 

GPU is an RTX 3090

The BluRay Drive is an ASUS BW-16D1HT 

5m HDMI 2.1 Cable 

TV is a Samsung QE82Q60R

And in between is hopefully soon a Marantz AV7706 if I saved some more money and when those issues with HDMI 2.1 are sorted out.

Is it even possible to playback 4k HDR on Ryzen?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2021 at 3:09 PM, Plermpel said:

I will get a Ryzen 5950X tomorrow.

Mainboard is an ASUS X570-F Gaming 

GPU is an RTX 3090

The BluRay Drive is an ASUS BW-16D1HT 

5m HDMI 2.1 Cable 

TV is a Samsung QE82Q60R

And in between is hopefully soon a Marantz AV7706 if I saved some more money and when those issues with HDMI 2.1 are sorted out.

Is it even possible to playback 4k HDR on Ryzen?

With the software I recommended yes otherwise no.

On 1/13/2021 at 12:04 PM, TehDwonz said:

I honestly don't see it as piracy if it's literally just you wanting to view the content you bought at the resolution you bought everything for including the content but then being locked out because of some obscure hardware limitation that a simple piece of software can get rid off in seconds