Moving Windows GPT mirrored boot drives (RAID 1-like) to new motherboard

After having a boot SSD die on me awhile ago, I replaced it with 2x SSDs so they could be set up in RAID 1. After some research, it seemed to me the easiest way to do it in Windows was to set up GPT mirrors. I followed this guide. It's worked great but now I need to move my system to a new motherboard and I cannot find any guide for this with Google. There's a lot of tutorials that explain how to set it up but nothing about moving it, especially when the mirrors are also your boot drives.

I'm hoping someone here has done this before and knows if there's a special way to go about it or at least what precautions I should take. I'll buy a new Windows license if I have to, I don't care about that. My main concern is data integrity and just having it boot up as my original system. Or at least as close to that as is possible. I'd really appreciate any help or insight you guys can offer.

Best way is to just reinsatll on the new system, as moving windows to a new system can cause issues.

Otherwise, you should be able to just move the disks over, might have to reinstall the bootloader, but should just work.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Best way is to just reinsatll on the new system, as moving windows to a new system can cause issues.

Otherwise, you should be able to just move the disks over, might have to reinstall the bootloader, but should just work.

This is also my plex server and it contains a huge amount of metadata that would require probably more that a month of running my CPU at 100% to recreate, so formatting and reinstalling windows is just not an option.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by reinstalling the bootloader? I don't really want to just move them over and hope it works, unless I know it most likely will.

Just now, james2246 said:

This is also my plex server and it contains a huge amount of metadata that would require probably more that a month of running my CPU at 100% to recreate, so formatting and reinstalling windows is just not an option.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by reinstalling the bootloader? I don't really want to just move them over and hope it works, unless I know it most likely will.

What version of windows is this? What hardware?

Id really suggest moving the os to a vm then. VMs make migration much easier. Just put a hypervisor on the new system, and move the current install to a vm.

7 minutes ago, james2246 said:

After having a boot SSD die on me awhile ago, I replaced it with 2x SSDs so they could be set up in RAID 1. After some research, it seemed to me the easiest way to do it in Windows was to set up GPT mirrors. I followed this guide. It's worked great but now I need to move my system to a new motherboard and I cannot find any guide for this with Google. There's a lot of tutorials that explain how to set it up but nothing about moving it, especially when the mirrors are also your boot drives.

I'm hoping someone here has done this before and knows if there's a special way to go about it or at least what precautions I should take. I'll buy a new Windows license if I have to, I don't care about that. My main concern is data integrity and just having it boot up as my original system. Or at least as close to that as is possible. I'd really appreciate any help or insight you guys can offer.

If this is Windows 10, moving the OS is fine. Depending on how you got W10 will determine if it needs a new license key or not - but will still work without one, provided you have drivers for all the essential parts of the new hardware (you might want to manually install them in advance).

As for moving it... I'd clone the drive as a complete image using something like the free EASEUS ToDo Backup (sector-by-sector option) to a new, single disk. Then re-create the GPT mirror afterwards. I wouldn't try and clone the mirroring tbh. Better to clone, do a test boot to make sure it works, then repeat the GPT Mirror config yourself.

4 minutes ago, james2246 said:

You could always make a backup of all the Plex data - if that is the only thing you care about on the current setup, then a fresh install of Windows will absolutely be a better option!

Just make sure that the media disks are disconnected during Windows installation, and that only the intended boot disk(s) are powered up.

Then install the latest plex server, and copy over your backup of the Plex metadata and settings.

What version of windows is this? What hardware?

Id really suggest moving the os to a vm then. VMs make migration much easier. Just put a hypervisor on the new system, and move the current install to a vm.

It's Windows 10 64 bit with the latest updates. It's 2x 2TB SSDs, CPU is a 7700k, 16 GB of RAM, LSI 9201-16i, and new motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-270x. I'm moving to that board because I needed a second PCIe x16 slot for another HBA (LSI 9201-16e). Moy current board only has the one.

2 minutes ago, james2246 said:

It's Windows 10 64 bit with the latest updates. It's 2x 2TB SSDs, CPU is a 7700k, 16 GB of RAM, LSI 9201-16i, and new motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-270x. I'm moving to that board because I needed a second PCIe x16 slot for another HBA (LSI 9201-16e). Moy current board only has the one.

Just saying if you just need more sas ports, just get a sas expander. They can split the sas ports, so you won't need to change your board.

Id still suggest going with a hypervisor and vms though.

9 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

If this is Windows 10, moving the OS is fine. Depending on how you got W10 will determine if it needs a new license key or not - but will still work without one, provided you have drivers for all the essential parts of the new hardware (you might want to manually install them in advance).

As for moving it... I'd clone the drive as a complete image using something like the free EASEUS ToDo Backup (sector-by-sector option) to a new, single disk. Then re-create the GPT mirror afterwards. I wouldn't try and clone the mirroring tbh. Better to clone, do a test boot to make sure it works, then repeat the GPT Mirror config yourself.

That sounds like a good precaution, and the kind of thing that would make me feel better about it. I will look into how to use this EASEUS ToDo Backup. I don't have another SSD, but I assume it'd be fine to use a 2TB WD Black I have?

9 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

You could always make a backup of all the Plex data - if that is the only thing you care about on the current setup, then a fresh install of Windows will absolutely be a better option!

Just make sure that the media disks are disconnected during Windows installation, and that only the intended boot disk(s) are powered up.

Then install the latest plex server, and copy over your backup of the Plex metadata and settings.

Do you mean just copy the Plex folder and drop it back in after reinstalling Windows? Because I tried that once before and for whatever reason it didn't work for me and I had to recreate everything. Between that and the time my SSD died, this would be the third time I had to do it. Only it's been a long time and now there is a lot more media on there.

Or did you mean using another backup tool like the EASUS?

8 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Just saying if you just need more sas ports, just get a sas expander. They can split the sas ports, so you won't need to change your board.

Id still suggest going with a hypervisor and vms though.

My current setup has 16 drives through the 16i, and I just bought a SuperMicro SC847 JBOD. I didn't like the idea of running another 45 drives through the same 8 channels.

Being honest I have no idea what a hypervisor is and no experience running VMs. I know I could learn it if I have to, but the whole reason I stuck with Windows, Drivepool, and SnapRAID is so I wouldn't have to. Everything's worked great for me so far.

25 minutes ago, james2246 said:

My current setup has 16 drives through the 16i, and I just bought a SuperMicro SC847 JBOD. I didn't like the idea of running another 45 drives through the same 8 channels.

Running a sas expander will be fine, as hdds are much slower than the sas channels so you really won't be speed limited.

25 minutes ago, james2246 said:

Being honest I have no idea what a hypervisor is and no experience running VMs. I know I could learn it if I have to, but the whole reason I stuck with Windows, Drivepool, and SnapRAID is so I wouldn't have to. Everything's worked great for me so far.

Id put the plex part on a vm, with a hypervisor like hyper-v. Then you can easily make snapshots, backups, and migration is super easy. 

26 minutes ago, james2246 said:

[1] That sounds like a good precaution, and the kind of thing that would make me feel better about it. I will look into how to use this EASEUS ToDo Backup. I don't have another SSD, but I assume it'd be fine to use a 2TB WD Black I have?

[2] Do you mean just copy the Plex folder and drop it back in after reinstalling Windows? Because I tried that once before and for whatever reason it didn't work for me and I had to recreate everything. Between that and the time my SSD died, this would be the third time I had to do it. Only it's been a long time and now there is a lot more media on there.

[3] Or did you mean using another backup tool like the EASUS?

[4] Being honest I have no idea what a hypervisor is and no experience running VMs. I know I could learn it if I have to, but the whole reason I stuck with Windows, Drivepool, and SnapRAID is so I wouldn't have to. Everything's worked great for me so far.

[1] Yes, any destination is fine for the backup file - you then use ToDo Backup (has a rescue WinPE method) to restore it to whichever target you want. Must be a whole disk backup though, or it won't be bootable.

[2] Not just the Plex folder, but the metadata, which I think by default is in C:\Users\[you]\Appdata\local... somewhere.

[3] You could use a tool, but a simple folder copy is fine too.

[4] Hello fellow Stablebit user! :) Hope you have Scanner working on the pool too? ;) 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Running a sas expander will be fine, as hdds are much slower than the sas channels so you really won't be speed limited.

Id put the plex part on a vm, with a hypervisor like hyper-v. Then you can easily make snapshots, backups, and migration is super easy. 

Well I already bought everything, just still waiting on the HBA and sff-8088 cables to arrive so I can hook up the SC847. But since the motherboard is here I can do that part now.

This can be done on Windows? It was awhile ago but I recall when looking into other options like UnRAID, FreeNAS, etc., that running VMs required a LOT of RAM, ECC specifically iirc. Other than the time it would take to learn all that, I didn't do it because it would have defeated the goal I had at the time of just using my old gaming PC internals for the plex build since I was upgrading then.

his can be done on Windows? It was awhile ago but I recall when looking into other options like UnRAID, FreeNAS, etc., that running VMs required a LOT of RAM, ECC specifically iirc. Other than the time it would take to learn all that, I didn't do it because it would have defeated the goal I had at the time of just using my old gaming PC internals for the plex build since I was upgrading then.

microsoft has a hypervisor called hyper-v, you can add it to windows.

Running vms doesn't really need much more resources than running the services alone normally.

Id try to install hyper-v or proxmox on the hardware if you can, then move plex and other services into vms.

But you should be able to just move the boot drives to the new board and boot. Make backups first.

3 minutes ago, TehDwonz said:

[1] Yes, any destination is fine for the backup file - you then use ToDo Backup (has a rescue WinPE method) to restore it to whichever target you want. Must be a whole disk backup though, or it won't be bootable.

[2] Not just the Plex folder, but the metadata, which I think by default is in C:\Users\[you]\Appdata\local... somewhere.

[3] You could use a tool, but a simple folder copy is fine too.

[4] Hello fellow Stablebit user! :) Hope you have Scanner working on the pool too? ;) 

[1] This seems like the best option, or at least the one that will make me feel safest about doing it.

[2] I specifically tried exactly that once before. Plex was originally on my gaming pc but it only took a month or two before I realized how bad on an idea that was, so I copied the metadata folder, installed plex on the system I'm using now, and dropped the folder back in. Don't know why but it didn't work so I don't want to try that again. wasn't a big deal at the time though because there wasn't much there. Now it would be a nightmare.

[3] I refer again to [2]

[4] Yes of course! :) I use it to keep a close eye on all my drives, let's me know they're doing ok: 

2021-01-12_12-51-19.jpg

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Running vms doesn't really need much more resources than running the services alone normally.

Id try to install hyper-v or proxmox on the hardware if you can, then move plex and other services into vms.

But you should be able to just move the boot drives to the new board and boot. Make backups first.

Ok thank you, might seem like I'm being paranoid but I'm going to figure that out too, even though I'll be first trying to just move them. But after I've set up this hyper-v or proxmox and copied plex into it. I will of course make a backup as TehDwonz suggested.

3 minutes ago, james2246 said:

Ok thank you, might seem like I'm being paranoid but I'm going to figure that out too, even though I'll be first trying to just move them. But after I've set up this hyper-v or proxmox and copied plex into it. I will of course make a backup as TehDwonz suggested.

Im personally a sucker for veeam for backups, find that it works well, and good to have running all the time just in case something happens.

Id just move the dirves though to the new board, should be plug and play, esp as its on the same chipset.

13 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Oh wait I just realized I can't do that. There's far too much metadata on the 2TB SSDs to have two copies of it. I'm going to have to pick one or the other. I thank you again for your help but right now I'd feel more comfortable just making a whole drive image backup than trying to learn this VM stuff.

3 minutes ago, james2246 said:

Oh wait I just realized I can't do that. There's far too much metadata on the 2TB SSDs to have two copies of it. I'm going to have to pick one or the other. I thank you again for your help but right now I'd feel more comfortable just making a whole drive image backup than trying to learn this VM stuff.

HOw much space are you using on the drives? 

You can setup the raid in the vm, then make a single disk with the vm. No need to have the vm have mirrored disks as the hyperivsor manages that.

Im personally a sucker for veeam for backups, find that it works well, and good to have running all the time just in case something happens.

Id just move the dirves though to the new board, should be plug and play, esp as its on the same chipset.

Yeah sorry for the confusion, I replied without thinking about it, I just realized I don't have the space on the SSDs for it.

It is my sincerest hope that you're right and I'm worrying about all this for nothing. I just want to be ready in case that's not the case.

It really is crazy to me that there is absolutely no documentation for this on the internet, at least that I can find. And I've been looking for the last 2 days. You'd think with a the tutorials on how to set it up there'd at least be one on how to move it. Hopefully it's because it just works like you said and is therefore unnecessary.

1 minute ago, james2246 said:

Yeah sorry for the confusion, I replied without thinking about it, I just realized I don't have the space on the SSDs for it.

It is my sincerest hope that you're right and I'm worrying about all this for nothing. I just want to be ready in case that's not the case.

It really is crazy to me that there is absolutely no documentation for this on the internet, at least that I can find. And I've been looking for the last 2 days. You'd think with a the tutorials on how to set it up there'd at least be one on how to move it. Hopefully it's because it just works like you said and is therefore unnecessary.

well windows mirrored boot drives aren't supper common, most just use hardware raid.

Do you have a backup of the boot drives, id make one now if you don't, so you don't lose any data, raid doesn't protect you from many failure modes, so backups are normally much more important for keeping data safe.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

HOw much space are you using on the drives? 

You can setup the raid in the vm, then make a single disk with the vm. No need to have the vm have mirrored disks as the hyperivsor manages that.

2021-01-12_13-09-26.jpg

well windows mirrored boot drives aren't supper common, most just use hardware raid.

Do you have a backup of the boot drives, id make one now if you don't, so you don't lose any data, raid doesn't protect you from many failure modes, so backups are normally much more important for keeping data safe.

No I don't, and you're right I should and will. Like I said though I do have an empty 2TB WD Black in my gaming PC I could use for now. I can always buy another SSD later. I'm going to need to upgrade the size of my boot SSDs on the plex server pretty soon anyway.

No I don't, and you're right I should and will. Like I said though I do have an empty 2TB WD Black in my gaming PC I could use for now. I can always buy another SSD later. I'm going to need to upgrade the size of my boot SSDs on the plex server pretty soon anyway.

If your gonna have to swap the boot dirves, id probalby just move to a single ssd instead of this mirrored setup. SSDs don't fail that often, and you can just restore to backups if something goes wrong.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If your gonna have to swap the boot dirves, id probalby just move to a single ssd instead of this mirrored setup. SSDs don't fail that often, and you can just restore to backups if something goes wrong.

Thing is though, I did have one fail on me. I set this up not just so I could restore, but to ensure no interruption if it did happen again. But I agree you're right about also having an actual backup as well.

The metadata builds up very slowly over time, so upgrading the SSDs wasn't something I was planning to do right now.

Meant to include this in the pic of my free space, but couldn't understand why the metadata folder was so small. It's actually the media folder that contains all the video preview thumbnails that take up so much space.

2021-01-12_13-27-10.jpg

2021-01-12_13-28-52.jpg