windows freezes (for no apparent reason)

jeppe96

so, recently my PC has been at random "freezing", sound continues to play, i can still talk on discord, but the screen is either locked or black, i cant pause spotify but it will continue playing without issue.

i've ran stresstests on CPU and GPU now, 0 errors when both ran at 100%, but when i play a game it usually wont last longer than a few minutes, i've been running it for about 30 min now out of game 0 issues, there isnt any performance issues running up to the "freeze" it just happens, sometimes i can play for hours on end no issue, but recently its barely been 30 at most, and that hasnt been possible since yesterday afternoon.

yesterday after one of the freezes windows booted up to a the "regular "asus logo" and then went to black screen with several teal dots, and 2 blue pixels, had to restart 14 times before it booted as normal, has not happened since then.

stresstest maximum temps are 60°C on CPU cores and 75°C on GPU, ran tests with OCCT

CPU: 9900K
GPU: 1080 TI strix
MB: Asus strix z390-F gaming
RAM: 3200 MHZ trident Z

event.PNG

image0.jpg

These warning and errors in the event manager are not critical errors. And that is probably not why your PC crashes. Reset the bios and try to boot.

P. S. Those errors are commonly used by scammers to trick users to believe that their PC has critical errors, so they pay for "fixing it"

Main: Intel i7-10700KF, RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC, 16 GB 3900MHz CL15 B-Die, Windows 11 Pro

Third PC: Intel i5-10400F, RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio, 16GB 3000MHz Timitec, Windows 10 Pro

Second PC: Ryzen 7 2700, RTX 2070 Super STRIX, 16GB 3200MHz CL15, Windows 10 Pro

First PC: Intel i5-3570, GTX 1060 Windforce, 16GB G-Skill 1600MHz, Windows 10 Pro

Hmmm Laptop: Pentium M 1.6GHz, iGPU, 2 GB 800MHz DDR2, Windows 7 SP1

Just now, AdkatkaShow said:

These warning and errors in the event manager are not critical errors. And that is probably not why your PC crashes. Reset the bios and try to boot.

P. S. Those errors are commonly used by scammers to trick users to believe that their PC has critical errors, so they pay for "fixing it"

i know that, but i already replaced ALL components except D and E drives and PSU, at that time the PC crashed with the error "failed creating a dumpfile when creating a dumpfile"

how would i reset bios? taking out the battery ?

Yeah, maybe do a sfc scan.

Also, try to turn off XMP profile and test for any freezes.

3 hours ago, jeppe96 said:

i know that, but i already replaced ALL components except D and E drives and PSU, at that time the PC crashed with the error "failed creating a dumpfile when creating a dumpfile"

how would i reset bios? taking out the battery ?

just enter the bios and set optimized default. Or unplug the cmos battery.

Oftenly PC crashes are caused by bad RAM. Reinstall the Windows, or boot an Ubuntu liveCD. If it crashes on both with default BIOS settings, then you should think about replacing your RAM

Main: Intel i7-10700KF, RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC, 16 GB 3900MHz CL15 B-Die, Windows 11 Pro

Third PC: Intel i5-10400F, RTX 2080 Super Gaming X Trio, 16GB 3000MHz Timitec, Windows 10 Pro

Second PC: Ryzen 7 2700, RTX 2070 Super STRIX, 16GB 3200MHz CL15, Windows 10 Pro

First PC: Intel i5-3570, GTX 1060 Windforce, 16GB G-Skill 1600MHz, Windows 10 Pro

Hmmm Laptop: Pentium M 1.6GHz, iGPU, 2 GB 800MHz DDR2, Windows 7 SP1

Just now, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

Yeah, maybe do a sfc scan.

Also, try to turn off XMP profile and test for any freezes.

SFC was done, i found some corrupt files

CBS.log

32 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

If it found some corrupted files, it should have tried to fix them. Did it?

I'm not skilled enough to understand a log file, sorry 😓

it did yes, havent had a crash since, but thats "normal" sometimes it lasts days sometimes 2 minutes

13 minutes ago, jeppe96 said:

it did yes, havent had a crash since, but thats "normal" sometimes it lasts days sometimes 2 minutes

Well, also try running MEMTEST86 with XMP on.

5 minutes ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

Well, also try running MEMTEST86 with XMP on.

it crashed now, seems to be during specific content in games or smth

Try running memtest86.

My guess is when your RAM goes under load ( transferring huge amount of data ), the unstable RAM overclock (XMP) might cause random freezes due to errors in data transfer.

I can guess this because similar happened to me.

4 hours ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

Try running memtest86.

My guess is when your RAM goes under load ( transferring huge amount of data ), the unstable RAM overclock (XMP) might cause random freezes due to errors in data transfer.

I can guess this because similar happened to me.

memtest came back with 0 errors.

hmmm... Another reason could be your CPU throttling to a very low frequency which causes freezing.

Download HWmonitor, run it in the background and play some games.

It shows currents, min and max. So you can check if the CPU is throttling or not. Then we can try to find the cause.

1 hour ago, Hold-Ma-Beer said:

hmmm... Another reason could be your CPU throttling to a very low frequency which causes freezing.

Download HWmonitor, run it in the background and play some games.

It shows currents, min and max. So you can check if the CPU is throttling or not. Then we can try to find the cause.

CPU stays at 45°C at all times, running at 4700 mhz constant

21 minutes ago, jeppe96 said:

CPU stays at 45°C at all times, running at 4700 mhz constant

alright, now its progressed to actually crashing my PC, Event id 161 Volmgr "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation." same issue i had before i replaced all components...

Just now, Convictions said:

Do you have any GPU overclock?

everything is default in bios except XMP wich i turned on to check, didnt make a difference

prior to the crash that happened now was me playing WoW
standing around in a raid doing nothing, waiting to start
we start, 20 seconds in freeze and error 161 crashed into reboot

the only constant in my build has been the PSU, but replacing all the other components fixed it for several months then it came back now