Monitor won’t go to 144hz after upgrading.

Rylyguy

So I have a 1650 super. Today I upgraded my cpu ram and mobo. After turning it on after the upgrade my monitor had reset to 60hz. So I opened nvidia control panel and set the custom resolution to 144hz because it didn’t show up native for some reason. After that the monitor stays black and windows will work on my other monitor but it’s frozen. If I unplug my 144hz monitor windows unfreezes but if i plug it back in it’ll freeze again. 

5 minutes ago, Rylyguy said:

So I have a 1650 super. Today I upgraded my cpu ram and mobo. After turning it on after the upgrade my monitor had reset to 60hz. So I opened nvidia control panel and set the custom resolution to 144hz because it didn’t show up native for some reason. After that the monitor stays black and windows will work on my other monitor but it’s frozen. If I unplug my 144hz monitor windows unfreezes but if i plug it back in it’ll freeze again. 

What connector are you using for that monitor? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

What connector are you using for that monitor? 

Display port

@BlueChinchillaEatingDorito I’ve already tried installing and reinstalling multiple different drivers. I’m about to head into school so I won’t be able to respond until later. But can I ping you once I’m home?

12 hours ago, Rylyguy said:

Have you gone to your settings and then display, then advanced settings (something like that)?

I had my 144hz monitor on 60hz for 3 days recently because it reset and I was playing something that was only running at 60ish anyway so I didn't notice.

3 hours ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Have you gone to your settings and then display, then advanced settings (something like that)?

I had my 144hz monitor on 60hz for 3 days recently because it reset and I was playing something that was only running at 60ish anyway so I didn't notice.

Yes I tried that too and it only shows 60hz as an option. 

15 minutes ago, Rylyguy said:

Yes I tried that too and it only shows 60hz as an option. 

Yep, had that too.

Even though I have a 144hz monitor the only options available were 20hz and 60hz.

I'd love to be able to tell you how I fixed it, but the truth is the 144hz option just re-appeared the next day. 

I have no idea why it changed initially or why it changed back. 

15 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Yep, had that too.

Even though I have a 144hz monitor the only options available were 20hz and 60hz.

I'd love to be able to tell you how I fixed it, but the truth is the 144hz option just re-appeared the next day. 

I have no idea why it changed initially or why it changed back. 

Ok. Then maybe when I get home later it’ll magically fix itself. 

5 hours ago, Rylyguy said:

Ok. Then maybe when I get home later it’ll magically fix itself. 

It might, you never know. 

Good luck. 

On 1/12/2021 at 8:13 PM, Maury Sells Wigs said:

It might, you never know. 

Good luck. 

It actually did end up being my cable. I stole my sister dp cable and it’s working great now. So I’m goin to have to order one since I can’t keep hers. 

10 hours ago, Rylyguy said:

It actually did end up being my cable. I stole my sister dp cable and it’s working great now. So I’m goin to have to order one since I can’t keep hers. 

Nice one, at least it's all sorted.

20 hours ago, Rylyguy said:

What monitor (brand and model) do you have?

Some monitors will have different resolution + refresh rate support depending on the port you use.

For an example, while helping my buddy out yesterday, he asked me why he can't get his new Samsung C27JG52QQ ultra wide 1440p monitor to run at 144 Hz. He was stuck at 60Hz and below. Monitor has HDMI1, HDMI2, and DP -- he was using HDMI1 port.

Nothing in the nVidia Control Panel settings, Windows settings, or monitor settings allowed him to set it to 144Hz.

The refresh setting was grayed-out, and locked at 60 Hz.

Checked the user manual online aaand...

HDMI1 only supports up to 2560x1440 60Hz.

HDMI2 can go up to 2560x1440 144Hz.

Change ports, and boom, fixed.

image.thumb.png.65687fc0a7b40b33d37cc96b0d7c1fce.png

Samsung is NOT the only one that does this.

This can apply to other monitor brands and models...like ASUS / DELL / BenQ, etc.

This time, it was your cable...but if you every get / buy another monitor, double to check your user manual as well.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

On 1/14/2021 at 5:38 PM, -rascal- said:

What monitor (brand and model) do you have?

Some monitors will have different resolution + refresh rate support depending on the port you use.

For an example, while helping my buddy out yesterday, he asked me why he can't get his new Samsung C27JG52QQ ultra wide 1440p monitor to run at 144 Hz. He was stuck at 60Hz and below. Monitor has HDMI1, HDMI2, and DP -- he was using HDMI1 port.

Nothing in the nVidia Control Panel settings, Windows settings, or monitor settings allowed him to set it to 144Hz.

The refresh setting was grayed-out, and locked at 60 Hz.

Checked the user manual online aaand...

HDMI1 only supports up to 2560x1440 60Hz.

HDMI2 can go up to 2560x1440 144Hz.

Change ports, and boom, fixed.

image.thumb.png.65687fc0a7b40b33d37cc96b0d7c1fce.png

Samsung is NOT the only one that does this.

This can apply to other monitor brands and models...like ASUS / DELL / BenQ, etc.

This time, it was your cable...but if you every get / buy another monitor, double to check your user manual as well.

My monitor supports 144hz on each port. I’ve used each port. And I was using dp at the time. It ended up just being the cable. I tried another and it instantly worked.