Ubiquiti Suffers Data Breach

G_K

Ubiquiti have been breached 

Summary

Ubiquiti tells customers to change passwords after security breach

Quotes

Networking equipment and IoT device vendor Ubiquiti Networks has sent out today notification emails to its customers informing them of a recent security breach.

Sources

https://www.zdnet.com/article/ubiquiti-tells-customers-to-change-passwords-after-security-breach/

https://consent.yahoo.com/v2/collectConsent?sessionId=3_cc-session_ce2d3f2e-3bc4-4ba2-84ed-6c3467cdd9eb

https://www.darkreading.com/attacks-breaches/iot-vendor-ubiquiti-suffers-data-breach/d/d-id/1339872

shit.JPG

Untitled.jpg

Wow. A company that tells it's costumers about the breach instead of just hiding it untill someone leaks it.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

This breach just affects their cloud services, right?
lol good thing I didn't use a unms cloud server

Big gaming much youtube video making

i7 4790k @ 4.8 GHz -- Corsair H100i   |   2x8 HyperX fury + 2x4 another HyperX = 24 Gb: very cursed I know

EVGA GTX 980 with very boring   |   1 TB Rocket Q + 18 TB spinning metal and a 1 TB server out of garbage

Define R4 + tape to plug up holes   |   1,000W EVGA Supernova   |   Maximus 7 (VII) Hero   |   still have an optical drive

Quickfire TK and OG g502, the mouse I simp for

3x1080p60, plus a tv and a modified photo frame please help i have too many monitors

I dual-boot Ubuntu and Windows with a history of dual-booting Manjaro. not cool enough to use arch btw

Surface Pro 4 and iPhone X (not a sheep I swear)

Find me at https://linktr.ee/RaddedMC

1 hour ago, RaddedMC said:

This breach just affects their cloud services, right?
lol good thing I didn't use a unms cloud server

Ubiquiti uses a single account for everything (including store and forums). So if you have a Ubiquiti account, you should change the password. 

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

Probably a good idea to change all of your account passwords at least once a year for those you rarely log into. These days, you just never can be too careful.

2 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Wow. A company that tells it's costumers about the breach instead of just hiding it untill someone leaks it.

Honestly they're more common than you would think. One that hits literally at mine and LTT's front door recently:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7548761/translink-cyberattack-personal-info/

https://hotforsecurity.bitdefender.com/blog/one-month-after-ransomware-attack-metro-vancouvers-transit-system-still-not-up-to-speed-25014.html

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

8 hours ago, That Franc said:

The fact that they came forward and notified their users of a potential breach is quite refreshing, and the recommendations are very sound.

Ubiquity seem to be a golden standard when it comes to company's and if they have a data breach, the fact that they have come forward and said that customers need to change their passwords is really good on their part in dealing with the situation post-breach

Thought I had a ubiquity acc as I have used their APs and routers at my parents place but I have not gotten an email so guess not then? Huh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

@Uknown0002, this thread is barely following Tech news format. Please expand summary or add your own thoughts (or better both) if you want it to be kept in Tech News section. Your personal opinion must be longer than couple of line with content like "I don't like this". For example, you can tell why did you decide to share this information to our community.

E: Moved out from Tech News.

Edited by LogicalDrm

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yeah, this doesn’t seem to be good but at least they told their users

8 hours ago, Souldust said:

Ubiquity seem to be a golden standard when it comes to company's and if they have a data breach, the fact that they have come forward and said that customers need to change their passwords is really good on their part in dealing with the situation post-breach

2 hours ago, wamred said:

Yeah, this doesn’t seem to be good but at least they told their users

Hopefully this doesn't follow the same trajectory to that of Tyler Technologies. They too sent out notifications of a possible intrusion that was ostensibly limited in scope. Shortly after their first e-mail was sent, they followed up by recommending everyone change their passwords ASAP.

So at first glance this would be a "heads up" level of awareness. But as an IT professional, that's when justified paranoia kicks in and I change passwords regardless if they recommend it or not.

Always err on the side of caution. I suspect the fallout could potentially be wider reaching in scope as they expand their discovery phase.

1 hour ago, StDragon said:

Hopefully this doesn't follow the same trajectory to that of Tyler Technologies. They too sent out notifications of a possible intrusion that was ostensibly limited in scope. Shortly after their first e-mail was sent, they followed up by recommending everyone change their passwords ASAP.

So at first glance this would be a "heads up" level of awareness. But as an IT professional, that's when justified paranoia kicks in and I change passwords regardless if they recommend it or not.

Always err on the side of caution. I suspect the fallout could potentially be wider reaching in scope as they expand their discovery phase.

Good point