Former Social Network Parler has over 50TB of Data Leaked Online

piemadd
6 minutes ago, StDragon said:

The sticky issue of Section 230. If you can moderate your forum, then the forum takes on the legal responsibility as they're ostensibly held liable. I say "ostensibly" because as far as I'm aware, FB or Twitter hasn't been fined yet.

Either you're hosting an open forum with zero moderation. Or you take it full-on to scrub any liable content. You can't have your cake at eat it too. There should be none of this "we moderate what we want, but take no responsibility" crap.

2XyLhQQ
Give it a read.

19 minutes ago, Kisai said:

2XyLhQQ
Give it a read.

IMHO, I think Parler stepped in it when they started banning accounts. They violated Section 230 as far as I'm concerned. So in the same vein, I guess they would be liable for the dubious content hosted on their site too. I think Amazon has a good argument.

6 minutes ago, StDragon said:

IMHO, I think Parler stepped in it when they started banning accounts. They violated Section 230 as far as I'm concerned. So in the same vein, I guess they would be liable for the dubious content hosted on their site too. I think Amazon has a good argument.

Yeah, pretty much.

One of the reasons you see forums and “leave a comment” sections disappearing everywhere, is that the site owner doesn’t have time to moderate, and doesn’t want to be liable for anything that appears on their site.

The point many are missing, for obvious reasons .... is that the reason given by Amazon for revoking services and ending contract vs Parler ...are being replicated on Twitter all the damn time.

Twitter having recently entered into contract with Amazon for services is to benefit from this, in addition Parler was in the midst of a massive boost in users flocking away from Twitter.

Theres a reason there is a legal case filed by Parler vs Amazon (AWS), so regardless of ur opinion on what it was like on Parler, the 'reasons' given by Amazon should be held against Twitter equally and fairly, but they are not.

To think Parler is/was some horrible place and thus deserves being shut down ..is ignorant at best ..vindictive at worst.

Nobody should be hailing the shutting down of a open forum for discussion as a good thing.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

* Thread locked *

The discussion slowly shifted from the leak (on-topic), to off-topic ; Parler being kicked out of it's hosting company and the issues connected to that (free speech and all).

The issue with Parler closure is unfortunately inherently political, and as such cannot be discussed here.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !