COIL WHINE, should go to PC repair shop?

Cooling: h100i PRO AIO

• CPU
    i9 9900k
  • Motherboard
    Asus ROG Strix z390-h gaming
  • RAM
    Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 LED Desktop Memory, Black
  • GPU
    GTX 2080 ti MSI Trio
  • Case
    Cooler Master Masterbox 5 Mid-Tower Case
  • Storage
    500gb 960 evo, 2 tb Black SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA 750W GOLD edition

I have some coil whine, I cannot tell if its coming from my psu or my gpu. could be either or. I contacted MSI (my manufacturer) and they told me to try a new MB and GPU such as swap them out and see if it was those parts causing the whine.

As you can guess I do not have access to these parts. I am really not sure what the best course of action for me would be. Should I take it to a computer shop that has these spare parts and see if they can diagnose the problem more thorougly? or should I just RMA my 2080ti/750W evga psu? I looked inside the psu and it was REALLY dusty. (I have a lot of animals) Thanks

PS, I did clean it out thoroughly

Well just clean it out. Won't solve the problem normally but you know it will help in many other ways. You have a 9900k so you can take out your gpu and use onboard graphics to see if it's the gpu. Nothing is wrong if you have coilwhine it's just stuff vibrating and making noise instead of vibrating and not making noise.

Just now, jaslion said:

Well just clean it out. Won't solve the problem normally but you know it will help in many other ways. You have a 9900k so you can take out your gpu and use onboard graphics to see if it's the gpu.

I should have added that I did clean it out. sorry, I forgot the 9900k has on board graphics. I'll try that before anything since it's very easy to remove. Thanks

3 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Coil whine is not immediately an indicative of something wrong.

yeah but it's annoying as hell, I don't wear headphones because of chronic migraines and its just too loud sometimes

my 3070 FE has coilwhine when i get silly FPS in CSGO menu.  if i limit the menu FPS then it goes away.

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

18 minutes ago, Dankcube said:

yeah but it's annoying as hell, I don't wear headphones because of chronic migraines and its just too loud sometimes

Crank up the speakers then...

Coil whine is a natural phenomenon where a transformer/inductor vibrates inside the human range of hearing (between 20-20000 Hz). There is nothing you can really do about coil whine besides trying to return the component that is suspected to be exhibiting coil whine and hope to get a replacement component without coil whine. 

23 minutes ago, Dankcube said:

I looked inside the psu and it was REALLY dusty. (I have a lot of animals)

If you have something to blow it out, try that to allow for proper cooling as dust acts as an insulator and can cause components to heat up, just like the rest of the case. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

It's not really an issue you can fix. That whining noise could also be any of the ceramic capacitors (MLCC) on any of the components in the computer due to piezoelectric noise. You're looking for a needle in a haystack when it comes to fixing this. 

Edit: If you want a more neutral sound you can always increase the speed of your fans to drown out the whining. The sound a fan makes is more or less like white noise so it's a lot harder to focus on it than a distinct high pitch whine.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Things to do:

1. limit FPS

2. run a few benchmarks 

3. Run it a little heavy (folding at home?) for a few hours a day for a few months

Generally coil whine is noticed with a new component or PC but very few report it coming out of nowhere on an older rig that has lots of use.

You will either run in the components or just get used to the sound and stop noticing it.

Coil whine is not a fault and returning a component is rarely a fix unless you feel lucky and you may get one with less/none. You could also get one with more!

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-> Moved to Troubleshooting

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

Things to do:

1. limit FPS

2. run a few benchmarks 

3. Run it a little heavy (folding at home?) for a few hours a day for a few months

Generally coil whine is noticed with a new component or PC but very few report it coming out of nowhere on an older rig that has lots of use.

You will either run in the components or just get used to the sound and stop noticing it.

Coil whine is not a fault and returning a component is rarely a fix unless you feel lucky and you may get one with less/none. You could also get one with more!

Wow i thought they would send me a new one no matter what, you're saying I could get a card with even more coil whine if i RMA? damn... I wonder how common it is for 2xxx series card to whine

2 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

Things to do:

1. limit FPS

2. run a few benchmarks 

My strix 1080Ti got insain coilwhine after 3 years of constant use, i could almost make music with it by moving my mousecursor 😆

So, older components can get it to. 

Just now, Vlad Tepes said:

My strix 1080Ti got insain coilwhine after 3 years of constant use, i could almost make music with it by moving my mousecursor 😆

but this msi trio is not even a year old! bought brand new from amazon :(

Just now, Dankcube said:

but this msi trio is not even a year old! bought brand new from amazon :(

You should hear the coilwhine my Strix RTX3090 have,.. then I bet you would be very happy with yours! ,. I promise you it's LOUD! 

6 minutes ago, Vlad Tepes said:

True, I know my coil whine on my last 3 cards all went away after a few months and never resurfaced in the 3 years that followed. I have heard similar stories but also some like yours, they are less common from my experience.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

8 minutes ago, Vlad Tepes said:

You should hear the coilwhine my Strix RTX3090 have,.. then I bet you would be very happy with yours! ,. I promise you it's LOUD! 

perhaps we could compare! I will upload a youtube video of my coil whine at its worst today sometime and maybe if you want you could do the same :D for science

I would have thought as the years go on we would have better build quality and it would limit the amount of coil whine on most parts. I even heard the ps5 has some crazy coil whine sometimes, haha!

46 minutes ago, Dankcube said:

I would have thought as the years go on we would have better build quality and it would limit the amount of coil whine on most parts. I even heard the ps5 has some crazy coil whine sometimes, haha!

Haha deal! Have a youtube channel anyways 😅