Sand mining causes enviromental Damage?

whm1974

From another Topic some Posters mention that the World is running out of Sand. Sand Mining causes Environmental Damage around Beaches and Rivers and such.

From Wikipedia I found that Sand can be composed of different types of minerals. And it's usefulness on which Industry  depends on what it is made of. It does seem strange the World is Running out Sand and all that. But perhaps Stricter Controls on where Sand can Mined from? Like not from Beaches, Lakes, and Rivers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand

13 minutes ago, comander said:

1. We aren't "running out of sand" - we're running out of sand that's cheap to mine. There's a boatload of sand that people don't care to use (bad properties) for construction or is located in places that require too much in transport costs. 

2. Basically everything people do has an environmental impact. Chickens from 1950 look quite different from current ones. 

I see. With Modern Tech they couldn't modify Bad Sand into something usable? I mean the Sarra Desert is just full of Sand after all. Of course take care not to mine around Oasis, Coastal Areas, and all the that. 

Just now, whm1974 said:

I see. With Modern Tech they couldn't modify Bad Sand into something usable? I mean the Sarra Desert is just full of Sand after all. Of course take care not to mine around Oasis, Coastal Areas, and all the that. 

well its complicated 

"sand" is a word like"rock" it defines the physical properties of the mineral in question but chemistry of sand is not so simple sure there is a constant element that have to be there for a type of mineral dust to be called sand (that element is silicon) but other things are not so constant   

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

4 hours ago, whm1974 said:

I mean the Sarra Desert is just full of Sand after all

@whm1974

the problem is that desert sand is too round and not sutable for building ( mostly making concrete ) and since building is the main reason for sand demand it's not an option. there are comanies that try to combine desert sand with with resin to make brick but it's definetly not near mass production.

Edit: the problem is that desert sand has too many small particles not because the particles are too round

Edited by Drama Lama

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler